Yet Another OpenSource USB Controller

Let me put it this way....

If the flower power artists can do Arduino and even write some code on it, you as pit builders have no excuse of saying this building/burning Hempstick from source code is too difficult.

Remember, my intended audience is those people who tinker/build their pit/joystick etc., not the virtual aces, although they are welcome too. If the virtual aces don't wanna learn this technical stuff... so much better we nerds get to kick their asses in the air!

Remember, if it's a fair fight, you didn't plan it right (or hack it right!).

Understand your point :-)

I am busy recently as you know, but I'll get into hampstick and try to contribute. Wish you a luck with this project...such project deserve a big audience so I'll spread the word

• 1 year later...

Hi!

Does anyone know where could I buy the ATSAM4S-XPRO within EU. A shop in Poland priced it at 50 euro not including VAT! So probably like 60 euro! :shocking:

And a question if I may.

I've read your "rudder example" and the ATSAM4S-XPRO manual and I'm still not sure whether the board itself provides the 3.3V. Does it provide the 3.3V required to wire potentiometers and HALL sensors?

Edited by Bucic

Thanks. I needed a confirmation because I know that such pin descriptions are ambiguous e.g. a pin described as "5V supply" may mean "5V out" but may well mean "connect 5V to this pin to provide supply for...".

Both the atmel store and digikey are same options (digikey provides the services) but from what I have read it's US based and overseas shipping doubles the price. Circa $90 in total. I'm going to try with design spark or some other UK based seller.

This: "CAUTION: The SAM4S MCU is a 3.3V device. NO 5V!!!"

A1324 require 4.5 - 5.5v as power source...

?

Well shhh...

Somehow I thought one of the series is a 3.3V version.

Maybe Honeywell has some 3.3V ones http://pl.mouser.com/Honeywell/

If not, I'll go for conductive plastic potentiometers, possibly with a simple actuating arm.

After looking around a bit I don't see why a simple 1/2 voltage divider wouldn't work between HALL out and the controller IN. It's hinted in the manual but not discussed in detail.

The bigger problem I have is that there seems to be no information in the Hempstick manual on the required voltage variation to achieve the full resolution. Is there such a requirement at all with Hempstick or does it process whatever it gets, say even a +/- 10 mV variation?

Without this information it's impossible to select the right HALL sensor.

Edited by Bucic

Another bummer, from the Hempstick forums

I have made the decision to switch the focus of Hempstick to developers. That is, the target audience is now the developers who use Hempstick to produce their own USB controller firmware.

What this means is that I will no longer try to “sell” Hempstick to the pit builders alike directly or other end users, nor will I publish any new information/data for individual users. Instead, I will only publish and explain information/data targeting developers. Which means, there will no longer be things like step-by-step instructions “teaching” end-users how to do this and that. There will also be no more new projects targeting end users, like how to convert a Cougar using Hempstick. I may choose to do such projects and publish them, but such thing will no longer be the “standard” of the documents.

It also means, I will not be browsing and answering questions nor trying to convince end users to use Hempstick on other forums, like EDForum, ViperPits etc. I find these forums exhausting.