Wind effects

Puma

I agree completely.

I added more information to my post; sorry. You may not agree completely anymore. ; )

The discussion was previously about Saitek pedals, and I had pretty much finished talking about the downsides of those, but then you went and brought up CH ...

To my grave, I'll remember the disappointment I had when my CH pedals arrived, back in 1999. After all the glowing reviews, I'd been expecting something that were closer to the pedals of the real aircraft I'd flown. Big let-down, that, and a bit of resentment at being misled. I feel obligated now to warn the new guys ... give 'em a chance to avoid being fooled. Wish someone'd done that for me, back then; would have saved me years of frustration with mediocre controllers. If I can help even a few get an optimal quality for their budget, instead, then I guess it's worth all the crap I get from the SPJ fans, right?

Edited by Echo38
  • Like 1

I still agree completely! (for what its worth)

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

I use CH pro-pedals and they work fantastically, no curve either. Be gentle practice often!

Mine work great too. I actually bought the Saitek Combat pedals but couldn't get used to them after using the CHs for so long.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

What's an SPJ?

"Shoddy plastic joystick"--a blanket phrase I use to refer to mass-produced controllers (joysticks, yokes, & pedals) for P.C. flight sim/games. It's easier than typing out the latter each time. They're designed by non-simmers and cheaply constructed on assembly lines. Plastic is generally chosen as the primary material, due to cost & speed of manufacture. Some SPJs are better than others (the best quality-to-cost SPJs are what I recommend to entry-level sim users), but they're all united by a jarring dissimilarity to the real aircraft controls they're supposed to represent. This includes nearly all of the force-feedback sticks, too, by the way. FFB is much better than spring-centered, in theory, but in practice, the same problem of poor craftsmanship plagues desktop FFB as badly as spring sticks.

So, basically, if you paid less than, say, $300 for it, and it was made by a company with more than a handful of employees, then it qualifies as an SPJ, and I can predict a lot of things about about it. For example, it's going to be a short desktop stick and not full-scale, and it's going to have a center-precision problem, and it almost certainly has outer-edge hardware deadzones of varying size, too. Unfortunately, one really has to go custom or limited-production to get above all those problems. The big brands simply aren't "for simmers, by simmers." Rather, they're about filling a market--nothing more.

Popular makers of SPJs include Logitech, CH, Saitek, and even Thrustmaster (though their Warthog obviously doesn't qualify as SPJ, being somewhere between the SPJ and limited/indie categories). There are plenty of others, but those are the ones that most simmers buy these days. And, as I conceded, there is a place for some of them. I'm using SPJs myself, out of current necessity. But I cannot be content with them, because I still remember what it was like to fly real aircraft, and I refuse to ignore SPJs' flaws & overrate them to unsuspecting newbies.

Edited by Echo38

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Puma asks a question and gets drawn into a debate on pedals LoL. I bet he's wishing he never asked now. Anyways, I'll just say I've got Saitek Combat rudder pedals and have never crash landed the A10C in cross winds yet.

I'm wondering if he had another control set to roll he didn't know about. Maybe he even set the Saitek Padals set to roll LoL. He spoke about rolling when he attempted to land and I can't think how that would happen using his padals. I know it's not something I've experienced using the Saitek Pedals.

Edited by joebloggs

• 3 weeks later...

I can now confirm that my pedals are fine (after resetting the curves). The biggest issue was definitely attempting to maintain coordinated flight with a single engine. Dont! Just keep tvv in centerline. Second was continuing to fly by trim with one engine. Config changes too fast, so "just fly" and it all got a ton easier.

Thanks for everyones opinions!

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png