DCS A10C Warthog throttle problem - need help!

Smoky

Hi folks

Posting this for a buddy of mine. He is having issues with his new Warthog HOTAS

I've surfed on this a bit here and on simhq and am not finding a solution to his problem, though the issue is documented no one seems to provide a solution, just a workaround.

On cold and dark start his throttles will not respond. To make them work he has to use the cheat startup and wait for the engines to spin up. Once the engines spin up then he says his throttles work properly.

I have read about workarounds to assign a keyboard control to fix this but we want to know if there is a solution that gets his throttle working as intended, which would mean that even on a cold/dark start that he should see throttle axis response in-game without using the startup cheat to get the engines to spin up.

We have tried:

-deleting and resetting the throttle lua file (he does not have an old version installed)

-removing all other peripherals/extra controllers (he was using his clubsport pedals for rudder but they seemed to grabbing the same axis designation)

-unchecking/checking the sync hotas controls checkbox

-TARGET is NOT installed

-HOTAS firmware is up to date

-DCS is patched with the latest version using the auto updater

-verifying no conflicting axis assignments in the joysticks settings for DCS A10C

-rebooting

-moving the throttle and stick to a different USB hub/port

He says his flight stick works fine. All switches and buttons respond in-game. Windows reports all controls as present and working. And he can even clear and then reassign the axis in DCS settings. But nothing makes his throttle work unless he uses cheat mode to spin up the engines first.

I think I covered everything. We tried so many things I may have skipped something.

Any ideas on what else we can try so I can get my buddy in the air with a properly working setup?

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes he said both throttles were in the cutoff detent.

The levers ingame do not move at all unless he uses the startup cheat and waits for the engines to spool up. After that the ingame throttles do move with the HOTAS movement.

Ok, if he says so, we don't want to doubt his words.

Never heard of this problem with the TM HOTAS Warthog. It is regularly plug and play. If you can exclude any misinterpretation or misuse by your friend, we have a problem. But then I would see the responsibility at TM instead of ED. Refund or exchange. This isnt cheap hardware. It should work as intended.

When in the DCS configuration -> axis assignment -> axis tune do the throttles behave correctly?

In windows under the "game controllers", does the throttle work correctly? Do the buttons 29 & 30 light up when the throttle is moved the cutoff detent? Do 29 and 30 turn off when move out of the cutoff detent?

In the game, if he uses the keyboard to move the in-game throttle off of the cutoff detent does the HOTAS throttle still not work? Or does only work if he uses the auto-start-up?

Enabled

This should synchronize the cockpit with your current HOTAS - which might be impossible at certain situations (i.e. cold start, but your EAC is enabled).

So, what happens, if you try it the other way around? I.e. disable that option and make sure that your HOTAS matches the cockpit manually.

Do the buttons 29 & 30 light up when the throttle is moved the cutoff detent? Do 29 and 30 turn off when move out of the cutoff detent?
My TM HOTAS Warthog never does this.

I wonder if it's a bug in a recent patch, as I'm sure this didn't used to be an issue....
Sorry, my THW works flawlessly with recent patch.

I have something similar. My WH HOTAS throttles are fully back. I move one forward and the game doesn't detect. I have to move it back and try again and THEN it works.

Very annoying....

I have that problem too. I move lever to start the engine, I watch the engine instruments for signs of life and nothing.

I look down at the throttle lever and it is still fully back while my hardware has been moved forward. And yes, it is sychronised in the options settings. I have to rock the lever back over the hump thing and try it again. Maybe two or three times for it to register. Everything else about the throttle switches are in synch ok.

Regards,

Milli

First tell your "Friend" he should post here.

Second I'd suggest he download a startup checklist which can be found on a search here.

Also make sure the throttle has to be lifted and pulled back to get past the detent. It's the most common mistake.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

First tell your "Friend" he should post here.

Second I'd suggest he download a startup checklist which can be found on a search here.

Also make sure the throttle has to be lifted and pulled back to get past the detent. It's the most common mistake.

Why the use of quotes, as if to suggest I am lying? Seems antagonistic. No need for all that. I posted on his behalf as a favor because I am more familiar with this sim and the terminology used therein so it's easier for me to post a query. Sorry if doing so has rubbed you the wrong way for some reason.

To others, very useful suggestions so far and they are appreciated. My buddy is following the thread and we're going to troubleshoot more tonight.

Thanks for the help!

Do use the RCntrl-Enter to see what the throttle axis are doing.

I have the Warthog (actually two) and never had an issue like this!

This may sound off track, but do calibrate the throttle in Windows. I have had weirdness until I calibrated the throttle's microstick. You can check the working of the throttle cutoff buttons there, too.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Do you have the same 'starting airborne' issue as well Milli?

Yep, sure do. Just a slight pull back and push forward of the throttles sorts it out. Speed will slowly drop if I don't do it. Many a time I have found myself getting slower and slower before I realise the problem.

Regards,

Milli

I have a similar problem, in that only the throttles are out of synch, when everything else is good to go. In my case, it seems to happen most often after flying the first mission, but is not always predictable.

I have already gone through the suggestions given above in the past, with no fix.

So, I have developed the habit of running both throttles up to full then back past the indent when first getting into the cockpit. This has gotten them re-synched for me, and made it no more than a minor annoyance.

I have also found that if the throttles are not in the full back position when starting a mission, doing an adjustment while the mission is loading tends to create or exasperate the problem. So I don't make any adjustments to throttles until the mission has loaded and I am in-pit, and try to make sure that everything is set before loading.

I have had this problem through the last 3 or 4 major patches, along with no HOTAS/G15 controls working while in snap view, and the "sticky" brake pedals.

None of which are a game breaker for me, but I would be very happy indeed if they got fixed.

Quick edit, when starting airborne, Milli's solution works for me as well, without having to do a full throttle throw. Looks like the sim just needs a nudge to get the throttles synched.

Edited by Faelwolf

Having to "sinc" the throttles since beta days of A10-C whiile joining a mission in flight is in my experience, normal. The problem in the cold start is likely an error in your procedure. What checklist do you follow? I always ensure that the throttles are confirmed to be over the stopgate before starting my checklist. I also move my joystick and rudder through their full range of motion to ensure they are working correctly. I learned to do that during my ppl days so it is second nature to me.:smilewink:

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

We will try all these suggestions this evening. Thanks folks

The bizarre part of it all is that my setup does not exhibit this behavior. Ramp start, air start, doesn't matter on mine. Cold and dark, my throttles have and still do always work fine from the get go. I wonder what the difference is between setups that makes this an issue for some and not others?

What's more strange is I'm sure I never used to see this behaviour with my throttles. My memory may be incorrect however. Will try some of the suggestions above to see what the axis are actually doing....

A slight nudge of the throttle gets them in sync so it's hardly a deal-breaker or anything. Just a mild annoyance :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

Well it may have something to do with how windows handles each instal, who knows, but I have experienced the in flight throttle behavour since getting my wh in dec 2011.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

In the end it won't be how windows installs.

As I noted before if your friend logs on, he or she will be able to get direct questions and a quicker solution. It's like a friend going to the doctor to complain about a problem for a Friend.

If that's not possible and you can get in front of their computer. Run through it yourself to see if it works for you or have them go through the sequence to see if something is being missed.

I used to think the same thing and had to fully cycle the throttle to full and then back to off every time I started.

After a few months I finally took my time and found it wasn't being done totally correct. I no longer have the issue.

Edited by Hamblue

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

All solved thanks to you folks. Turns out because the Warthog was so new to him that he didn't understand what I meant by lift the throttles past the idle detent into cutoff. He THOUGHT he had it done but realized later that he really had to lift up on them. This got me at first too. I still don't get why they don't move at all in-game until this is done. Mine does not behave this way. They always move for me. But I guess everyone's setup is a little different.

Thanks again for everyone's help. He was out dropping bombs in no time.