Beginners Guide to DCS World Aircraft Mods

RedBeard2

After going through the forums many times, fiddling with the Wunderluft sample, and trying to figure out how to go about adding a human flyable aircraft Mod, I have finally broken down and started to collect all the information I've had to learn into one spot.

This is an on-going work in progress as I still have outstanding questions that are yet to be answered. I plan to continue to update this as more information becomes available. So far, it is over 70 pages of collected information and references and I have included 3DS Max models to illustrate the steps as well.

The guide and samples may be viewed and/or downloaded here:

Edited by RedBeard2
Update old links to current Google Drive sharing links
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Although I didnt read it in depth it doesnt seem like a "dummies" guide to me,looks kinda complicated. Are you saying someone with little to no programming experience could do this? If so I'm all over it!

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Excellent! I had some interest in making a guide like this myself, but I realized just how time consuming that would be. However, this is great for those looking to get started. Once you get into the programming is when this guide will have limited use, as much of that is up to the individual developer and many things would be covered under NDA.

When I have some free time, I'll look through this more in depth and see if I have anything to add.

Although I didnt read it in depth it doesnt seem like a "dummies" guide to me,looks kinda complicated. Are you saying someone with little to no programming experience could do this? If so I'm all over it!

I've tried to make it as simple as possible, but adding aircraft does require a certain amount of knowledge and experience. Note that I started with no DCS or modeling experience at all (though I have 20+ years of programming experience). At a minimum, you need skills in algebra and geometry and some ability to understand conversion from one unit scale to another. Knowledge of calculus is an advantage, but I've tried to isolate that as much as possible.

The above will get you far enough to add an AI flown aircraft using the SFM and possibly a human flown aircraft with some existing cockpit (e.g. Su-25T). Adding your own cockpit or using the External Flight Model instead of the SFM will require programming experience.

you can tweak and extend the SFM Values in the LUAs to get "better" performance.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thank you very much for this documentation ! :thumbup:

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

• 2 months later...

Beginners Guide to DCS World Aircraft Mods

After going through the forums many times, fiddling with the Wunderluft sample, and trying to figure out how to go about adding a human flyable aircraft Mod, I have finally broken down and started to collect all the information I've had to learn into one spot.

This is an on-going work in progress as I still have outstanding questions that are yet to be answered. I plan to continue to update this as more information becomes available. So far, it is over 60 pages of collected information and references and I have included 3DS Max models to illustrate the steps as well.

The latest guide and may be viewed and/or downloaded here:

• Like 1

Apologies for starting a new thread, but I couldn't figure out how to rename the thread title from the Dummies Guide thread. I'll be updating this thread in the future.

I have renamed the guide due to feedback that the guide really wasn't targeted for "dummies". Although "beginners" is a rather vague term, it is intended to address those that want to get started in learning how to add an aircraft. It doesn't mean it will teach you all the prerequisites. See the guide for skills needed.

Update 0.4 includes a number of additions and changes, but the main goal was to finish up the SFM tuning chapter. There may be additional changes to this chapter in the future, but at this point I'm declaring SFM tuning done.

The next update will include a major overhaul of the 3d model including animations. In other words, I'm going to replace the block airplane with something that will be closer to reality.