Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

Doesn't it overlap with the same effect that is already there if TIR translates the movement 1:1?

No,

you are mixing things up.

1:1 TrackIR settings don't change/influence the Eyepoint/Fulcrum position in DCS.

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

It takes a little getting used to but I like it a lot. Great work! It's one of those things that never even occurred to me as an improvement until someone else went ahead and did it.

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You very much Peter,

Your stellar work to improve and help us novices with this is a great asset.

/HaJa

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

It takes a little getting used to but I like it a lot. Great work! It's one of those things that never even occurred to me as an improvement until someone else went ahead and did it.

Yeah I didn't like it at it at first, took a bit to get use to. Now I can't play without it :pilotfly:

new neck pivot position needs to be nearly under the ear, not at the back of the head

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Yes , you are right,

that the Head is attached to the neck directly under your ears when looking from the side...

But,

new neck pivot position needs to be nearly under the ear, not at the back of the head

this doesn't say anything about the pivot point of your eyes.

What you are saying is only true if you had a absolute stiff neck.

Look at this image:

girl_lg.jpg

I hope you now understand that the pivot-point can placed anywhere between your shoulders any ears.

So I decided to place the pivot/fulcrum point at the average,

just Between this two extreems

Another example for thoughts about 'where is the pivot point for its eyes ?':

giraffe-12.jpg

Feel free to edit the values to your liking - the Info I have provided in posting one should be detailed enough to find the right files/lines.

Edited by PeterP

Yes, and the image in blue shirt is showing the lower pivot point at the shoulders....

The head pivots at the top and pivots at the shoulders when looking down into the lap.

ie tilts down and leans foward making the neck arch

If the head just tilts, the eyes do need to roll down but then approximately the knees are 'in focus' whilst the lap is peripheral

Concern is (and mindful to your good work) is when the "sim head" is vertical (looking straight ahead), the eyepoint isn't inches rearward of where it should be.

ie back of head buried into the rear of the seat (pivoting l/r on the chin)

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, I'm trying to install this, putting it in the main folder as instructed had no effect, I'm guessing I have to go into c:>program files>eagle dynamics>DCSWorld>Config>View and replace the contents with what is in the downloaded files. One thing however, you said to revert back to simply use the view backup 1.2.1 folder. My view folder in my DCS installation path has an extra file in it however named Labels.lua is this something to do with the 1.2.2 update? Presumably I should just back up the view folder before messing around with anything and use that to revert instead of the folder downloaded with this mod? I only ask as I don't want to mess it all up and have to uninstall and re-install everything again as its on an SSD. Many thanks

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

But what do you mean by "Is there any support for 1.2.3?" ?

(How should a 1.2.3 support look ?- what do you expect ?)

This mod works with 1.2.3 , and I only rename/rework things if they are broken.

See: RC2b had more than 700 downloads and only about 3 individuals reported installation problems.

And when looking closely on their postings you will realise that it is probably a user error.

And I see no reports that it isn't working in 1.2.3 - isn't this evident enough that it is working in 1.2.3 ?

(Btw: I use it myself in 1.2.3 without problem.)

At this point it's even save to use the 1.2.1 backup - as the files have only changes that belongs to the upcoming Huey... and as it isn't released up to now , you can't brake anything.

- and I don't have a clue why "putting it in the main folder as instructed had no effect" for Python - he probably expected to see a major change instantly when entering the cockpit - but its much more subtle - and you will see/feel it only when using it some time.

Edited by PeterP

- and I don't have a clue why "putting it in the main folder as instructed had no effect" for Python - he probably expected to see a major change instantly when entering the cockpit - but its much more subtle - and you will see/feel it only when using it some time.

No, it changed nothing at all. I still had the full movement with no limits etc. Was I correct to put the file in the main folder rather than the view folder?

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

No, it changed nothing at all. I still had the full movement with no limits etc. Was I correct to put the file in the main folder rather than the view folder?

From the readme:

Copy the contend of the folder

"New View with proper Neck and smaller-realistic 6DOF limits DCS World 1.2.1"

into your DCS World installation.

Example target path:

...\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World

Use the contend of "view Backup 1.2.1" to revert back.

Use the contend of "New View with proper Neck and default 6DOF limits DCS World 1.2.1" when you

still want to be able to e.g. place your 'nose' on your leap.

...I really don't know what to add to make more clearer. ;)

BTW: Which plane did you used for your first test?

This Mod only works for the A-10C,ka-50 and P51-D out of the box.

I posted a instruction how to make it 'compatible' for FC3 in posting #1.

Edited by PeterP

Hi, PeterP - nice mod from you again.

Would you object to a JSGME-compatible release, like this: PeterPs Proper Neck version RC2b.zip

Edited by tietze
zip might be more compatible for everyone

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...

Ok, I've been flying a bit with the proper neck in the KA-50 and for me it was quite a nuisance that the HUD disappeared everytime I just looked a little up.

It has worked to change the initial head position, by editing the SnapViewsDefault.lua. Changing variable "y_trans" (it looks like a string in an array or - ok I have to learn lua scripting at some point) on line 973 from value "0.022388909581826" to "-0.02":

Snap[9][13]["y_trans"] = -0.02	--0.022388909581826

What values have worked for you guys?

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...

• 3 weeks later...