dummies and decoys: inflatable tanks, planes and rocket launchers

Russian army inflates itself with fake tanks

Decoys and masking discipline was a reason that NATO had only 15 confirmed mobile ground unit hits after a total of more then 22 000 sorties flown in the military use over Yugoslavia.

NATO actually stopped looking for MiG-29's after the number of decoys were destroyed equaled the number of MiG's in Yugoslavian Air Force.

It looks like this Russian company has a right product to offer.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Too bad IR cameras can see right through this guise.

Interestingly....

“They can reproduce a radar band, a thermal and near infra-red band similar to those produced by night vision instruments. All these makeshift models appear as real hardware on all these instruments.”

But lets cut the crap, who here would NOT want some of those bad boys for yard decoration!??!!

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

Why noo, IMO not bad move I would say a bit tricky :D but hope it is not the main RU army modernisation progress.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Is that a part of 2011 modernization of Russian military?!

:megalol:

Just kidding!

He, he, he ... :smilewink: However, seriously, if you think about it ... This indeed can be a part of military modernization. These kind of decoys can seriously impact the battlefield. Just imagine a bomber flying 6 to 10 hours mission just to drop its ordinance on decoys. That military is not going to be able to fight for too long, resources would be drained in no time. NATO ran out of cruise missiles over Yugoslavia and had to take some nuclear and redo them with classic explosive.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Too bad IR cameras can see right through this guise.
Hmm ... How is that?

Yeah, those inflatable buildings were a real hit I'm sure ;)

Russia aren't the only ones using inflatable decoys ... nor are the Serbs. But it's not like we can mention their success when the US uses them, right? ;)

He, he, he ... :smilewink: However, seriously, if you think about it ... This indeed can be a part of military modernization. These kind of decoys can seriously impact the battlefield. Just imagine a bomber flying 6 to 10 hours mission just to drop its ordinance on decoys. That military is not going to be able to fight for too long, resources would be drained in no time. NATO ran out of cruise missiles over Yugoslavia and had to take some nuclear and redo them with classic explosive.
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Did they attacked inflatable airfields with the cruise missiles or what?
That is a good question for Jamie Shea. Nobody questioned his briefings at the time so I am sure he would provide good answer in this case.

The fact is, USA ran out of cruise missiles and had to take some nuclear and replace the nuclear war heads with conventional explosive. A good example of resources management issues during war/battle..

If resources are mismanaged, war or battle is lost, as simple as that.

NATO ran out of cruise missiles, and stores in Yugoslavia ran out of microwaves. They make for nice radar decoys :)

Airfields were real, but SAMs around them were not. Thick long branches were placed side by side in an elevated position to resemble rockets, and then "badly" camouflaged.

Edited by nscode

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

NATO ran out of cruise missiles, and stores in Yugoslavia ran out of microwaves. They make for nice radar decoys :)
You meant microwave ovens! :thumbup:

Funny thing is that, possibly (I am speculating here), somebody in the neighboring country left his microwave oven on at the wrong time so the HARM ended up missing the entire country of Yugoslavia... You remember that?

I doubt that was true :) You can't just leave an oven in a field and expect it to be hit. It needs to be moded a bit first.

@Vesperatus:

Yup :) It's a 1 to 1.5 KW magnetron in the same radio band as some tracking radars. Ofcourse, it had to be modified a bit and realisticaly opperated (turned on and off), but from a safe distance

I doubt that was true :) You can't just leave an oven in a field and expect it to be hit. It needs to be moded a bit first.

@Vesperatus:

Yup :) It's a 1 to 1.5 KW magnetron in the same radio band as some tracking radars. Ofcourse, it had to be modified a bit and realisticaly opperated (turned on and off), but from a safe distance

Hell. I'll put that in my survival bag of tricks in case Russia and Denmark try to invade my great north !

• Like 1

Russia aren't the only ones using inflatable decoys ... nor are the Serbs. But it's not like we can mention their success when the US uses them, right? ;)
Wrong. :).

Reminder SAM = Stealth STOP!

• Like 2

I think you guys misunderstood what GG said..

@hitman:

"Our" single greatest achievment is the military remaining largely untouched (air force excluded). Shooting down of the stealth and other aircraft just goes on top of that.

Yes, Im sure they are largely untouched by a peace keeping mission from NATO considering no large scale invasion ever occurred. Ill remember Serbs using human shields to deter NATO air strikes. Thats a great accomplishment there, isnt it. Maybe these rubber airplanes can prevent that in the future. ;)

• Like 1