3d model sizes

Hello.

11 of you may have seen my other thread about the exporting problem. but Now i have a question of how big should the actual model be.

I've got 2 incomplete planes I want to test fly in Lock on now, and they are invisible in game and in the Model Viewer ED provided. I am thinking they are too small? Or I haven't exported it correctly.

So how big should I make the model in comparison to that little grid thingy in the middle of the perspective view in 3ds max 7.

Thankyou

Is breaking the laws of gravity illegal?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sponge,

You need to set the scale to 1m = 1,0 in max.

Maybe its a stupid question, but you have remembered to texture the model?

Missing textures/texture mapping does not make a 3D model invisible - only "naked" ;) .

JJ

Thankyou Alfa!!

Will I still need to scale the model down, or can I leave it the size it's at now?

From the sound of it, you need to scale it down :) .

When you set 1m=1,0 units in max, it just means that there is correspondance between real-world meassurements given for an object and the meassurement shown for a model of the object in max.

So if we take an example:

Lets say that you have an aircraft model that should be 10m long(real world spec), then by setting the above 1m = 1,0 the model should also meassure 10,0 in max. If the model length shows e.g. 20,0, then you need to scale the model down to half the size in order for it to appear correctly in Lock-on.

To see the current model meassurements:

1). From top toolbar click "select by name"-button, then click "All" and "Select".

2). From "Utilities" tab(with hammer icon) to the right, click "...more"-button and choose "meassurement" option from the list. This will bring up the current meassurements of the model.

To rescale the model:

1). Again from "Utilities"-tab, click "...more"-button and choose "Rescale World Units" from the list to bring up this option.

2). Click the "Rescale"-button and specify a conversion factor - if we take the above example(i.e. the model should meassure 10m but currently shows 20m), then the conversion factor should be set to 0.5.

Note that meassurements in max are given for x, y and z axis - so which of them shows the length depends on the orientation of the model in the viewports :) . The model is oriented correctly when the "nose" of the aircraft is pointing to the right in the "Top" viewport - then x = length, y = width and z = height

JJ

• 2 months later...