Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

I know this wont probably be one of the two unknown aircraft, but is anyone else crossing their fingers for a MiG - 25 besides me?

Not really. Think it´s enough of russian planes at the moment.

Hoping for a Viggen :)

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

The MiG-25PD is very high on my fixed wing wishlist and no, we don't have enough Russian aircraft. Now I'd say we don't have enough DCS level aircraft in general at the moment, but looking forwards the Russians are in bad shape. Why? The following jet fighter modules are officially in development by teams with a reasonable chance of delivering sometime in the next year or two:

Western: F-5E, F-14A/B, F-18C, Mirage 2000C, EF2000, Vampire, Meteor.

Eastern: Nothing.

The MiG-25PD and MiG-23MLA + MLD would go a long ways towards evening it up a bit. That said, all hints at LNS's unknown modules currently point to WW2 pacific something and the Viggen. And I do think the Viggen will be fairly interesting. But moving forwards, I really hope LNS gives Russia a bit of love since it seems no one else is interested in doing so.

Western: F-5E, F-14A/B, F-18C, Mirage 2000C, EF2000, Vampire, Meteor.

Eastern: Nothing.

Ok, I see your point. :music_whistling::thumbup:

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

Why are you people so certain that it's a Viggen? :)

Don't start up the hype train without any clues... My heart can't take it.

So, we've had

1. The Duck Comment. "Ducks and Cats" This really didn't jive with anything until we finally stumbled on the idea of the Viggen, and it matches with other clues thanks to Viggen being a tufted duck.

2. Cobra's Avatars. Cobra had a picture that seemed rather obscure of the front of a missile. Luckily, someone was familiar with the image and quickly found that it was the front of an RB-04 missile. This Anti Ship Missile has been tested on the Tunnan, deployed on the Lansen, but more notably used on the Viggen. Since Tunnan integration was just a test, and the module we're expecting is meant to be 'modern' with a ground radar, only the Viggen fits that. Almost immediately after the picture of the missile was identified, Cobra switched his avatar to a Swedish emblem.

3. Swedish Development Team Members. Pretty self explanatory.

Of the clues we've received, nothing discounts the Viggen, and we haven't really seen anything else that fits them better. Both the Viggen and the F4U Corsair seem to be a lock, it's really more of a formality, waiting until the end of August for the next newsletter to confirm what we're pretty confident we already know.

On a slightly different topic. No MiG-25, it's ugly.

On a slightly different topic. No MiG-25, it's ugly.

Ok no it's not, the A-10 is Ugly lol The Mig-25 is iconic, It would be awesome to have a Mig-25 to fight the F-14 with, think about it, At BVR you could give the Aim-54 a run for it's money and we'd finally have a Russian fighter with a decent radar suite in DCS.

Oh and it's fast as crap.. :holloween:

In all fairness though I think your right about the new models.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Ok no it's not, the A-10 is Ugly lol The Mig-25 is iconic, It would be awesome to have a Mig-25 to fight the F-14 with, think about it, At BVR you could give the Aim-54 a run for it's money and we'd finally have a Russian fighter with a decent radar suite in DCS.

dat 4.5g limit though.

Would prefer Imo the MiG-23 if I had to choose.

mig-25.jpg

Ugly, ungainly, and a horrible dogfighter. I don't understand the love for the MiG-25 at all. MiG-29 is pretty sexy, and the MiG-23 is kind of cool in a an awkward sort of way, but the Foxbat is fuuuuugly.

• Like 1

The Mig-23 is sick too wouldn't mind either, but You've got the Mig-29, Su-27/33 and Mig-21 to dogfight in already (granted 29 and 33 are on the way) lol But the Russian fighters we've got are all about dog fighting! We need something for BVR cause your about to get pumped full of Aim-120s when the F-18C comes out, and Aim-54s when F-14 comes out.

But all the love for the Mig-25 comes from it's ability to hit mach 2.8 or 3.2 if you don't care! and its 65,000 Ft sealing lol Whats not to love it's practically a space ship. ;)

My only problem with the 25 is no cannons, not that you'd need them but a Mig-31 would be my dream come true.

Edited by Wizard_03

A MiG31 is a two crew tandam intercepter. Personnaly, I would prefer the '31 over the '25 because the '31 would be a lot more effective against all those FC3 fighters, hence, more multiplayer fun! This would be the case if I had any friends who liked aviation and stuff to fly with, I'm 18, thats just not gonna happen. :(

So, MiG25 it is.

But all the love for the Mig-25 comes from it's ability to hit mach 2.8 or 3.2 if you don't care! and its 65,000 Ft sealing lol Whats not to love it's practically a space ship.

^^ This...

You can almost classify it as an SSTO :pilotfly: Although the 31 would be more of use than the 25, the 25 just has some magic to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because MiG - 9. That's why...

The Mig-23 is sick too wouldn't mind either, but You've got the Mig-29, Su-27/33 and Mig-21 to dogfight in already (granted 29 and 33 are on the way) lol But the Russian fighters we've got are all about dog fighting! We need something for BVR cause your about to get pumped full of Aim-120s when the F-18C comes out, and Aim-54s when F-14 comes out.

But all the love for the Mig-25 comes from it's ability to hit mach 2.8 or 3.2 if you don't care! and its 65,000 Ft sealing lol Whats not to love it's practically a space ship. ;)

My only problem with the 25 is no cannons, not that you'd need them but a Mig-31 would be my dream come true.

I hate to break this to you, but the R-40 missile has an effective range of about 37 nautical miles. Compare that with the AIM-120Cs range of 57 nautical miles and the AIM-54's 100 nautical miles. Even though the in game modeling of the AMRAAM sucks, the performance curve the R-40 will be working against means that you're still not outslinging the AMRAAMs at range, and to make matters worse, the R-40 is SARH, which means you're vulnerable to return fire.

Couple this with poor dogfighting performance and all you've got is a drag racer, and if that's all you want, we're better off begging for DCS: SR-71.

If we don't want dogfighters, and we don't want western planes, the SU-17 would be my choice, way out ahead of the MiG-25.

I have the utmost respect for Leatherneck and i'm sure whatever they do finally release will be worth every penny, but I do hope they release something with a krasnaya zvezda painted on it. There are several NATO modules already in development, i want more russians!

SU-27

SU-33

MiG-29

MiG-21Bis

SU-25A/T

MiG-15Bis

F-15C

A-10A/C

F-86F Saber

F-18C Hornet*

F-14A/B Tomcat*

Mirage 2000*

EF-2000 Typhoon*

*Not yet released.

We're actually pretty even all things considered.

mig-25.jpg

Ugly, ungainly, and a horrible dogfighter. I don't understand the love for the MiG-25 at all. MiG-29 is pretty sexy, and the MiG-23 is kind of cool in a an awkward sort of way, but the Foxbat is fuuuuugly.

That is a photo of the exact MiG-25 version I would want to take into a multiplayer competition... The MiG-25BM Foxbat F! The MiG-25P/PD/PDS are pure interceptors and have been obsolete since the early 80's. I could see them fitting in with a Cold War mission set and maybe Iran/Iraq war or ODS in 91. If reconnaissance were to be implemented in some fashion the Foxbat B/D would also be useful and they have a secondary bombing capability that could be useful.

As for the actual other two planes, I think they will be the F4U Corsair and AJ-37 Viggen.

Seeing as almost everyone else is not even looking at the clues being dropped and just throwing their favorite airplane in this thread... Being that they are "Leatherneck" Simulations, I am holding out hope that they will eventually do the OV-10A/D Bronco's... Pretty please with sugar on top Cobra?

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I hate to break this to you, but the R-40 missile has an effective range of about 37 nautical miles. Compare that with the AIM-120Cs range of 57 nautical miles and the AIM-54's 100 nautical miles. Even though the in game modeling of the AMRAAM sucks, the performance curve the R-40 will be working against means that you're still not outslinging the AMRAAMs at range, and to make matters worse, the R-40 is SARH, which means you're vulnerable to return fire.

Couple this with poor dogfighting performance and all you've got is a drag racer, and if that's all you want, we're better off begging for DCS: SR-71.

If we don't want dogfighters, and we don't want western planes, the SU-17 would be my choice, way out ahead of the MiG-25.

I hate to break it too you my friend but your 57 NM is shooting straight in front of you, but in a mig 25 when your knocking on 70,000 FT everything shooting at you will have to shoot up... A good 20,000 FT or so up. Cutting that 57 NM pretty significantly.

Besides that, Rmax is irrelevant what matters is RTR and the RTR is gonna be pretty short since the mig 25 can hit Mach 3. Also the altitude advantage works the other way, cause everything your shooting at is below you.

• Like 1

I hate to break it too you my friend but your 57 NM is shooting straight in front of you, but in a mig 25 when your knocking on 70,000 FT everything shooting at you will have to shoot up... A good 20,000 FT or so up. Cutting that 57 NM pretty significantly.

Besides that, Rmax is irrelevant what matters is RTR and the RTR is gonna be pretty short since the mig 25 can hit Mach 3. Also the altitude advantage works the other way, cause everything your shooting at is below you.

I'll put my faith in the smaller, more modern and agile missile. Yes R-40s have reported kills on F-15s before, but I still think you'll get out slung in a BVR match, doubly so if you're worried about Tomcats.

SU-27

SU-33

MiG-29

MiG-21Bis

SU-25A/T

MiG-15Bis

F-15C

A-10A/C

F-86F Saber

F-18C Hornet*

F-14A/B Tomcat*

Mirage 2000*

EF-2000 Typhoon*

*Not yet released.

We're actually pretty even all things considered.

4 full DCS level western fighters announced in development, not a single russian announced, that's what i meant :smilewink:

The foxfire radar on the Mig-25 had a limited look down capability, good luck detecting (let alone tracking and killing) something that's 20k ft below you. Also have in mind, the Acrid is a huge missile, biggest AAM ever produced. It was designed for taking down supersonic bombers like the Hustler and Valkyrie. I don't think it'll be effective against maneuverable fighters.

The Mig-25 is nice because of it's high performance, but in DCS it would be quite limited. I'd rather have a Mig-23 or Mig-31.

The foxfire radar on the Mig-25 had a limited look down capability, good luck detecting (let alone tracking and killing) something that's 20k ft below you. Also have in mind, the Acrid is a huge missile, biggest AAM ever produced. It was designed for taking down supersonic bombers like the Hustler and Valkyrie. I don't think it'll be effective against maneuverable fighters.

The Mig-25 is nice because of it's high performance, but in DCS it would be quite limited. I'd rather have a Mig-23 or Mig-31.

Foxfire? Surely they would simulate the newer PD variant with a Saphir 25 radar based on MiG-23's radar. It could also carry R-60 missiles (which are of limited usefulness on the type, granted). But, the MiG-31 was not intended to engage maneuvering fighter targets either.

• Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!