Naval Aviators

Plague2Delta

What were your questions? Lots of knowledgeable folks on here who could probably help.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

Well, I been trying to find which carrier group and which sqdns were flying over Helmand Province in 2010. We used them quite a bit. So, was just looking for guys that might have been doing CAS for us....They always flew pretty low, but never got a good luck at any aircraft or sqdn numbers. But, I do know they were F/A-18's lol.

Well, I been trying to find which carrier group and which sqdns were flying over Helmand Province in 2010. We used them quite a bit. So, was just looking for guys that might have been doing CAS for us....They always flew pretty low, but never got a good luck at any aircraft or sqdn numbers. But, I do know they were F/A-18's lol.

Doing alittle bit of research.

You're looking for F/A-18s that where deployed on either:

USS Dwight D.Eisenhower 2 Jan 2010-RTB 28 July 2010 ( Part of CVW-7 & Carrier Strike Group 8 )

VFA-103

VFA-143

USS Harry S. Truman 21 May 2010-RTB 20 December 2010 ( Part of CVW-2 & Carrier Strike Group 10 )

VFA-11

VFA-32

VFA-37

VFA-105

Those are the units that I can find information on that puts them on those carriers at the correct time. I went through each unit separately but the information is fairly incomplete and taken from wiki so take it with a grain of salt. I was unable to confirm the other two squadrons that were aboard the Eisenhower during the 2010 deployment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Doing alittle bit of research.

You're looking for F/A-18s that where deployed on either:

USS Dwight D.Eisenhower 2 Jan 2010-RTB 28 July 2010 ( Part of CVW-7 & Carrier Strike Group 8 )

VFA-103

VFA-143

USS Harry S. Truman 21 May 2010-RTB 20 December 2010 ( Part of CVW-2 & Carrier Strike Group 10 )

VFA-11

VFA-32

VFA-37

VFA-105

Those are the units that I can find information on that puts them on those carriers at the correct time. I went through each unit separately but the information is fairly incomplete and taken from wiki so take it with a grain of salt. I was unable to confirm the other two squadrons that were aboard the Eisenhower during the 2010 deployment.

Excellent work. I have looked at wiki and global security but some how missed this. Would have to be the Truman then going by this. The Eisenhower would have been gone by the time we were operating in July, if not gone then maybe a week or two of support. Thanks for this, gives me a lead to start with. :beer:

Excellent work. I have looked at wiki and global security but some how missed this. Would have to be the Truman then going by this. The Eisenhower would have been gone by the time we were operating in July, if not gone then maybe a week or two of support. Thanks for this, gives me a lead to start with. :beer:

With it being a Carrier group and different units most likely performing the same tasks, isolating 1 squadron would be difficult. However if you can remember which version of the F/A-18 you saw providing CAS then you can further narrow your search.

VFA-11 F/A-18F

VFA-32 F/A-18F

VFA-37 F/A-18C

VFA-105 F/A-18E

The Wiki also has it operating in the Adriatic Sea, Location Split, Croatia 10 June 2010. Interestingly enough it has it operating 7-9 July in the Arabian Sea with Winston S. Churchill, FS Jean Bart(D615) but no location. So it was sitting off the cost of Pakistan and in the Persian Gulf from 7-9 of July 2010 till 1 November 2010.

Hopefully that fits your timeline.

Edited by Priller

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's a tough one. Most of the time I saw them up close they were way too fast to even get a good look at. Plus, at the time, I couldn't tell the difference between the different types of F/A-18's. The only time they came close enough to see was on "Show of Force" with flares popping, and then gun runs. Every time they dropped ordnance they were way too high to see. We talked to them of course during their support runs. But, all their callsigns were a color + a number, so we never got any identifying details on them. Perhaps, they might have been Marine sqdn's from in country, and just getting them mixed up thinking they were from a carrier....My timeline was from June-Jan. 2010. But that's awesome you found that. Thanks again. :)

Ok cool, I will take a look at it. Yea, I know Marine units can be hard to nail down about exact deployments and attachments etc. Some times you have to be in the know or know someone who is. Even the units I was with and deployed with are hard to find exact info on.

Just so you know, there weren't any RAAF F/A-18s operating over Afghanistan in 2010, so they were definitley US aircraft.

Thanks for the input. I wasn't aware of that. However, I did know that during patrol briefs when we checked air status before stepping off, we always got word on other nation's air support and I don't remember hearing any from Australia. I remember Belgians, French, and Brits tho. Thanks tho for the info :beer:

I'd hate to say it, but I doubt most Naval Aviators would be hanging out here.

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/ is probably the largest community you'll find of Naval Aviators, be warned about posting in the wrong forum however. :)

There used to be a guy that flew with Moa's FC2 VNAO Stallturn server group a couple years ago. His username is/was Xiang. I think JAR might know this guy, also. He was supposed to be a current F-18 jockey, then. Moa hangs with the 104th Phoenix. JAR has his own Aussie MP server VFA-113 Stingers (http://www.vfa-113.com/ ); for me Australia servers are on about 4AM NY time zone.

There is a retired guy, "Pop", that taught to Pensacola and a P-3 Orion joc, that flies the VRS Superbug sim and a few other guys if you checkout their forums and they have servers up.

http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/

http://vcw-8.com/

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok cool, I will take a look at it. Yea, I know Marine units can be hard to nail down about exact deployments and attachments etc. Some times you have to be in the know or know someone who is. Even the units I was with and deployed with are hard to find exact info on.

I found some of my buddies I served with in a Seabee battalion I was with to Military.com if you are looking for buddies.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There used to be a guy that flew with Moa's FC2 VNAO Stallturn server group a couple years ago. I think JAR might know this guy, also. He was supposed to be a current F-18 jockey, then. Moa hangs with the 104th Phoenix. JAR has his own Aussie MP server VFA-113 Stingers (http://www.vfa-113.com/ ); for me Australia servers are on about 4AM NY time zone.

There is a retired guy, "Pop", that taught to Pensacola and a P-3 Orion joc, that flies the VRS Superbug sim and a few other guys if you checkout their forums and they have servers up.

http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/

http://vcw-8.com/

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was just looking to talk to people who might have saved my ass a few times from the air. We used a lot of support from them, since they were usually on station everyday in our AO. Their support sometimes was vital, and they did an amazing job helping us when we needed it most.

Just a few corrections...

VFA-113 is the current version of the old VNAO. It's is also totally USA based and flies during USA West Coast evenings (roughly 9.30pm NY time). I am in Australia but Teamspeak, mission hosting and fly times are all USA, as VNAO has always been.

Pop left to start VCVW-8 because he wanted to fly another flight simulator, we stayed with DCS World.

Military aircrew come and go but no Hornet pilots from your era have flown with us that I am aware of.

Cheers Jar

Ok thanks. :thumbup: