Joystick "Black Mamba" from VKB FSC Europe

Many of you might know about this stick:

black-mamba-fat-02-853x1024.jpg

It is sold by VKB FSC Europe: http://flightsimcontrols.com/

The thing is, it seems to be a very small team, perhaps just a one-man show / side project. They seem to have difficulties to get their stuff produced and this stick is now sold out for about one year. They claim, though, that a new production batch is on the way.

Has anone more information about this, the availability or anything related? I really want to try this thing out, but after waiting for it for now almost a year I am growing tired ...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had change some emails with them at the beginning of this year and at that time they even had in consideration a forcefeedback version for this joystick for 2015.

On various sites they receives mediocre reviews just because they used cheap buttons. Otherwise, if this device will have that precission together with FF, well, I think he will be a clear winner.

I would be very sorry if they cannot continue anymore.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

I had change some emails with them at the beginning of this year and at that time they even had in consideration a forcefeedback version for this joystick for 2015.

On various sites they receives mediocre reviews just because they used cheap buttons. Otherwise, if this device will have that precission together with FF, well, I think he will be a clear winner.

I would be very sorry if they cannot continue anymore.

I'm guessing its the stick it self rather than thebase? since the base looks very high quality, especially the internals, also the stick can be changed, but for something that expensive it should have a good stick

I'm guessing its the stick it self rather than thebase? since the base looks very high quality, especially the internals, also the stick can be changed, but for something that expensive it should have a good stick

They offer an adapter for a TM WH grip - which is in my eyes a really interesting combo then.

That's correct. Internal mechanism is bullet proof and have even the possibility to nullify normal usage wear. The grip itself does not matter for me too much, and I am so sorry when I am seeing superficial reviews oriented only to facades...

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

That's correct. Internal mechanism is bullet proof and have even the possibility to nullify normal usage wear. The grip itself does not matter for me too much, and I am so sorry when I am seeing superficial reviews oriented only to facades...

hint to the warthog?

I have their T-rudder and it will probably outlive me ... it's build like a Russian tank! I previously had Simped F-16 rudder pedals.

The packaging was top notch; the cardboard box it came in seems custom printed and mentions "Rudder".

I only had to slightly re-cut a pedal thread (too much coating on the thread?).

They included a nicely packaged (tin box) trigger of their upcoming KG-12 grip.

It's true their Black Mamba grip is in fact the grip of the cheaper Cobra.

After the hassle I went through with TM flightsticks, my next flightstick will definitely be of VKB.

I've had very good response from Eduard through vkb@flightsimcontrols.com.

They don't produce in large quantities and the fact that they sold all their Black Mamba's within a short time speaks for itself.

VKB for me are a highly recommended group of Russian engineers.

Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille

• 2 months later...

best controller stick i've ever seen. but seems little bit expensive

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

They don't produce in large quantities and the fact that they sold all their Black Mamba's within a short time speaks for itself.

VKB for me are a highly recommended group of Russian engineers.

The fact that they sold out quick doesn't mean anything. Look at the warthog when it first came out. Look at the X-55. Matter fact, look at basically every new stick that comes out. Only time and people that bought it will tell how good it is. The warthog is a very good stick, but had lots of problems when it first came out. I haven't seen anyone say anything bad about this stick, but I haven't read up on it either, it looks good though.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

• 2 weeks later...

So far I've had just a couple of hours to play around with it after work. So it's basically my superfluous impressions.

The first thing I noticed was that ditinctive feel of pitch & roll axes along with the centre of their crossing. The handle movement feels smooth and I can almost sense the solid metal mechanism beneath it. It makes a quiet thud if you move the stick quickly across an axis. All the switches are metal and make a nice clicking sound when flipped. 2 reels on the left side are recognized as axes. The 3 remaining reels work as a repeated press of two buttons depending on the direction of rotation.

Now here's a moot point. Unlike TM Warthog (and many other joysticks) the tension doesn't change depending on how how far you pull the stick from the centre. I'm totally fine with it. But I heard some people dislike it.

I haven't come around to test its precision with some software just yet. Just made sure in "windows devices" that all of its buttons and axis are up and running.

Played a little of DCS Mig-21 with it. Since TM Warthog's tension (that I've grown accustomed to) is considerably harder than Mamba's, I found myself overpulling the stick several times bringing the plane on the verge of stall. The precision is impressive. Even minute moves are translated into the game. I don't mean to say that it's much better than in TM Warthog. Perhaps they are equal in that respect. But wathog's sticktion sometimes makes aiming a bit more difficult that it should have been. So I found delivering cannon fire a bit easier with Mamba.

Sometime soon I wanna try a weaker spring for the roll axis and see how well it does with a warthog stick on.

Edited by Harle

• 3 weeks later...

In some countrys 200/300 us joystick is a obsene amout of mony, and you end up whit plastic parts, no spare parts, and if you use a lot they fail.

First how is the gaming situation today:

I fly a lot of arcade and pro simulators, arcade are a torture for EJ x52.

Don’t want to put a Logitech 3d for my janes ww2 fighters or warthunder.

What we need is a modular standar

lets call it layers and can be detached for upgrade//dwongrade/repaIR

Layer 1 : stick (can have more layers)

Layer 2 : metal/bearings/etc

Layers 3: the electronics

Optional layers:

user expirence /base/arm support

open for more devices (like smartphone on a trotle dock, can give voice control? Use touch screen like switch panel or instrument, and the possibility to hacept incomng call?)

Dual electronics for fault tolerance or dual firmware

Onboard device operation log (can report an intermittent conection with a button....)

ALL That will give upgrade possibility and Donwgrade possibility (want my stick on the cheap layers for arcade torture session)

Easy repair

How many $ and time have spend on the joystick issues………no More

I'm trying to get a Massdrop started for this joystick:

BKXE6M_20141225_073255_70HWP.png

If you are interested, please add your vote to the poll!

Massdrop won't do anything until the poll reaches 200 votes, but at the very least it will give VKB a better idea of how many people want one of these joysticks.

Clever idea. I signed up and voted for what I would like to see.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

that will be 100€ for each layer, any better?

We need a solution.

how many hours you have lost becouse of bad desing or bad implemented simulation hardware.

We are hostages, becouse simulation dont sell like COD so every time a new device came all go look, if saitek desings a fine product, but the asambly line cut cables durind the asambly..... is crap

many people make they own devices, and thats becouse our decision and impresions on this type of hardware is very personal.

An also becouse we dont have many devices on the market.

I received my order a few days ago :

oUdRH0c.jpg

It's hard to be objective at that point and I don't have any experience with the Warthog.

All I could share is that this stick has an astonishing precision (250Hz polling frequency with the 0,02° D-MaRS sensors precision).

The central position of each axis is noticeable (slight mechanic resistance) and thus it's possible to move an axis while keeping the other one at the neutral position.

I only flew the Su-27 (PFM) and it's a fantastic feeling made of control and smoothness.

The default central deadzone is set to 0,3% (!) and it's perfectly stable.

The programming software (NJoy32 PRO) has a pretty high level of complexity and grants access to numerous parameters. I'm still discovering its capabilities.

The stick itself is made of decent plastics with a soft coating. It doesn't feel as cheap as my X-55 throttle ;) Imo it lacks a thumb button/hat but the ergonomics and general feeling are great (russian-style).

A modern metal stick is in development.

The build quality is impeccable and the anodized aluminium feels very resistant.

What I particularly like with that stick is that it clearly aims for a very high level of precision, efficiency and longevity with a scalable solution tailored to a range of different requirements (stick interchangeability, extender, combined rudder pedals, etc.).

(and it's a perfect fit with the Su-27 :thumbup:)

I'd like to add that the VKB team has been very helpful, available and efficient in every way. It was a great experience.

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Absolutely. You could even use the two triggers for the gun and the AA missiles.

5HVHFlK.jpg

As far as I know, the NJoy32 PRO controller can manage up to 128 buttons and 8 axis and VKB have planned to produce a control panel for the Black Mamba.

Rd4EqeY.jpg

Axis parameters

P16PGW8.jpg

wRGnDF1.jpg

Buttons configuration

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

After flying for a while with TM Warthog stick mounted on Mamba, I swapped it back for the default cobra stick. My conclusion is that Mamba's mechanism isn't suited very well for use with such heavy sticks. After mounting the Warthog I had to add additional pair of springs to each axis. And it made it stiff in axes lines by becoming difficult to make a smooth transition across an axis. The stick wants to bump against an axis line and then snap off it. Once it snapped off an axis the stick feels sluggish because even double spring doesn't counter its weight very well. And I didn't wanna add a third spring because of the aforementioned effect. An extention tube can eliminate this adverse effect but I'm not gonna bother. Way too lazy to go into the trouble of modifying my chair. So I'm gonna use TM Warthog exclusively for DCS A-10 and Mamba in default configuration (feels perfect) as my primary joystick for all other flight sims.