Lock-On for dummies: knowledge thread for noobs!

I was thinking about how I could learn the little tips and tricks in Lock-On as quickly as possible (since the in-game training doesn't give it to you), and then it hit me: why not ask the community! If you think about it, Lock-On has a pretty huge learning curve, and it'd take years and years to learn most of it.

So would you guys be nice enough to tell me something that I don't know? How to fly, how to use your radar, how to fire a missile, when to fire a missile, how to use ECM effectively, how to lose a lock on you, how to keep a lock on the bandit, how to evade a missile, how to be stealthy, missile strengths and weaknesses etc. etc. Anything!

I tried to find and awesome example from a Falcon 4 thread where everyone added a little tutorial in each of their posts with a heading and pictures to explain it very nicely, but couldn't find it. :(

So yeah, if you could make a nice tutorial post for us noobs out there it'd be great. Hope you can help guys, thanks!

fast battle planer is good way to practice some 1 vs 1 against AI, it will give you basic understanding of A2A combat and opportunity to practice weapon systems , chance to learn BVR basics and so on... you also can set up a gunfight with guns only and get some basics on dogfight, plane controls in close combat... training files in LOMAC 1.1 are full of valuable tips... good luck!

Learning to fly on live fire servers is NOT a good idea.

Also http://www.flankertraining.com/ironhand/news.html is a must place to visit!

Edited by Peyoteros

‎"Eagle Dynamics" - simulating human madness since 1991

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Join a squad,

there is no pressure to perform, no specific deadlines to meet and you will learn everything you need to know fast.

The majority of squads have a structured rank but are the totally opposite of a strict military unit, just a friendly group of keen LOMAC pilots.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I'm not very good at explaining, but this is kinda what I meant:

-----------------------------------------------

HOW TO NOT LOSE A BANDIT ON YOUR RADAR:

Don't you hate it when you're about to lock up a bandit and take the shot, but before that happens he suddenly disappears from radar view? Yeah, you start to panic and frantically scan the sky with your radar, but before you know it he's hit you. This is because he has slipped above or below your radar beam's scan elevation. If you wanna stop him from disppearing it's very simple. What you have to do it this: slew your lock-on box (dunno its proper name) next to the bandit so that your radar beam is pointed directly at him. Doing this, you won't lose sight of him on your radar and he won't be able to sneak above/below you.

What you should do:

screenshot007jq2.th.jpg

What you shouldn't do:

screenshot008xj6.th.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

You see, something that doesn't require you to join a squad or download a big file. And something that you most likely wouldn't find out on your own using the FBP.

Edited by Alexrey

Listen to Frost1e ;)

It's only natural that at the outset one tends to hone one's skills by having regard to the AI and attendant missions. Then you garner all these tips/tricks/quirks from fellow Virtual Pilots and apply them to your Flights and soon you begin to think - hey - I'm not too Bad after all. I'm getting the hang of this :joystick:

A further natural progression would in all probability be an experience similar to what I went through in that the Single Player LockOn World gets pretty Dull relatively quickly. You then decide to explore your Horizons and hop onto a Hyperlobby server and promptly get PWNED ever so properly by your fellow Virtual Pilots.

Once you've managed to wipe the Debris from all orifices, you sit back and realize that the lessons learnt from AI are not quite sufficient - coupled with the fact that all your questions can probably be best addressed by actually physically practising it in a virtual 'live environment' as opposed to being relayed the info in a forum post - the best advice would be to garner said answers 'live' so to speak.

At the end of the day it's up to you.........What you put in is what you'll get out!

I'm however fairly certain that not all things can be learnt from a 'Book' - you have to get your 'Hands Dirty' sometime.........:D

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Thread failed!
Why do you say this?

Even if you did get numerous posts in this thread explaining things you didn't know, you'll only learn to use them by actually practicing them. When you do this, you'll find you missed something or the post wasn't completely clear. Sure, you can ask around to learn some more, but in the end this will be a very slow progress.

Frostie and Viper are right. The best way to learn a lot and to learn it fast is to join a squad! There you fly with or against human pilots and ask questions and apply them instantly. You can analyze your flights and learn from your mistakes with other squadmembers and they can tell you about the mistakes they made, so you don't have to make them yourselves.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I'm not very good at explaining, but this is kinda what I meant:

-----------------------------------------------

HOW TO NOT LOSE A BANDIT ON YOUR RADAR:

This is only partially correct. Moving the TDC does not move your radar cone! Moving the TDC only shows you the minimum and maximum elevation of the radar at the TDC's set distance on the scope. You still need to tilt the elevation of the radar up and down to keep the bandit in the radar cone if necessary. Once you know the bandits angels, (TWS mode, AWACs etc.) put your TDC beside the bandit's track then make sure that the 2 numbers on the left representing the minimum and maximum elevation of the radar are below and above the bandit's altitude.

Here's another squad suggestion for you ; )

www.169thpanthers.com.au

free registration required.

• Like 1

This is only partially correct. Moving the TDC does not move your radar cone!

Ironically, it should probably move something, like the azimuth. I'm assuming quite a bit here (mostly that the Viper and Eagle's FCR set up is similar), but it seems likely.