Flight Qualifications Campaign

We didn't notice it when we released Part B but some extra files got added that shouldn't have so we are uploading a new package today.

Given that it takes ED some time to approve the package uploads you can download Part B from our Google Drive here.

Part A has been updated and appears to be correctly loading into the proper directory now.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say "maintain angels 8", what do you mean? Maintain exactly 8000 ft. or maintain minimum 8000 ft. altitude?

The instructor usually calls out "Maintain angels 8!" if you come close to the exact value which makes it seem like it's a minimum altitude but I don’t want to go above it either in case that also fails me.

Also: a video on spiral dive/lazy eight would be nice.

Edited by Archer7

Also: a video on spiral dive/lazy eight would be nice.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5flDdAMhL0&list=UU_9Wz8CwePCpiaPMAR_gUiQ :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]- I5 3570K @4.2ghz | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel® Thermal Solution RTS2011LC | G.Skill Ares 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | MSI N760 2GD5/OC ITX| 2x Corsair CSSD-F60GBGT-BK | Western Digital WD10EALX 1TB | HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 | Win 7

Saw it. Managed to do a couple of spiral spins but really have no idea what makes a dive "successful"...

It seems that approximately 10 degrees down and 30 degrees bank is the magical configuration to make the instructor happy.

I also managed to make one successful eight while another one wasn’t good enough, unclear why.

Are you supposed to start by going 10 degrees up until you’re at 90 degrees sideways and then start dropping about 5 degrees down until you’re full circle or are you supposed to go 5 degrees up until you’re at 180 degrees around and start dropping about 5 degrees down until you’re full circle? Does it matter?

Some users have had problems completing this mission so we posted a spoiler in an earlier post.

Altitude guidance is as per the Performance Objective spec:

Area 1.4.3 General Criteria

The following general criteria apply during all phases of flight except as noted for specific events and instrument final approaches:

Qualified (Q): Altitude +/- 200 feet. Airspeed +/- 5%, Course +/- 5 degrees / 3 NM (whichever is greater), TACAN Arc +/- 2 NM.

Qualified Minus (Q-): Altitude +/- 300 feet. Airspeed +/- 10%, Course +/- 10 degrees / 5 NM (whichever is greater), TACAN Arc +/- 3 NM

Unqualified (U): Exceeded Q- limits.

Obviously these restrictions are waived depending on the maneuver but if you are told to remain at a certain altitude like 8000' then stay between 7700' and 8300' to keep the mission going.

Some users have had problems completing this mission so we posted a spoiler in an earlier post.

Altitude guidance is as per the Performance Objective spec:

Area 1.4.3 General Criteria

The following general criteria apply during all phases of flight except as noted for specific events and instrument final approaches:

Qualified (Q): Altitude +/- 200 feet. Airspeed +/- 5%, Course +/- 5 degrees / 3 NM (whichever is greater), TACAN Arc +/- 2 NM.

Qualified Minus (Q-): Altitude +/- 300 feet. Airspeed +/- 10%, Course +/- 10 degrees / 5 NM (whichever is greater), TACAN Arc +/- 3 NM

Unqualified (U): Exceeded Q- limits.

Obviously these restrictions are waived depending on the maneuver but if you are told to remain at a certain altitude like 8000' then stay between 7700' and 8300' to keep the mission going.

Ahhh... cool. So for the spiral dive you basically have to:

Bank <60 degrees, drop 2000 ft and turn 360 degrees, then drop another 2000 ft without dropping below 6000 ft and maintain bank throughout?

I guess maybe I'm turning too slowly and dropping too quickly.

Very neat checks.

Hey Sabre , I've enjoyed the BQ campaign so far very well. Just a quick question: The amplified checklist says on Before Takeoff part on page 4 that CMSP C) Subsystems: As Required. However the BFT01 mission is failed before the taxing part, if all of the subsystems are not turned on.

Am I doing/interpreting something wrong?

Excellent work on these.

Best and kind wishes

Fred

P.S Is as required = ON or is it As desired in different wording?

Edited by DirtyFret

The checklist is meant to apply against any mission so you need to review the mission brief to see what is required.

For BFT01 we do want you to have it turned on so the bird is considered fully mission operational.

As Required means As Required by the particular mission. Best to check the brief or listen for instructions from the FE.

The checklist is meant to apply against any mission so you need to review the mission brief to see what is required.

For BFT01 we do want you to have it turned on so the bird is considered fully mission operational.

As Required means As Required by the particular mission. Best to check the brief or listen for instructions from the FE.

Thx for the quick reply. :thumbup: I see my error.

Sry to bother ya with such a noob error/question :poster_oops:

Regards Fred

In the BFT09 training mission you don't give any initial instructions at the beginning of the mission (should say "Climb to angels 7, 350 degrees at 260 knots").

And at the end of the BFT12 training mission at Kobuleti the instructor never says if you're qualified or not.

Also several training missions start with somewhat strange flight configurations in my opinion: throttle master exterior lights switch centre, strobe off, IFF antenna/master mode dial aft/off, right MFCD not set to CDU and master arm/guns arm armed set to armed.

Edit: and how do you spiral dive correctly?!

I nose down 10 degrees then start banking 60 degrees which brings my nose up and I can maintain at most 5 degrees nose down!

I can’t bank more (not allowed), less (levels me out), pitch up (levels me out), down (banking not allowed) and throttle up and down seems completely ineffective.

In your video you somehow just do it but my aircraft doesn’t work that way. Are you pedalling down like a madman?

Edited by Archer7

In BFT09 you are instructed:

"Ok Cadet! Get your bird in the air and I'll meet you at waypoint 2, angels 8 at 260 knots."

So you fly to the WP first where the FE is waiting for you, then you get the more detailed instructions for the PO:

"Ok Cadet! Your performance check starts now..."

And 12 seconds after that you should hear:

"Fly heading 260, angels 8 at 260 knots."

For BFT12 it's a straight in approach to Kobuleti from the East and you need to park in the first revetment on the right (#42). There is some activity after you shutdown so you need to be in that revetment to trigger that activity.

For the controls issues check the version of the missions you are playing (should be v1.3). We don't touch any controls in the mission files so maybe you have some other controls mapped somewhere or maybe ED's defaults are not set to your liking.

For the spiral dive just watch your speed. If you go too fast the triggers won't trip. You need to make 3 circles before you reach the lowest altitude. Stay nose down and in the bank (I used the joystick to keep both nose down and banked). You can still pass the mission if you fail the Spiral Dive as we realize it's a tough technique to master and the triggers to test it in the mission editor are not ideal (see spoiler post earlier).

In BFT09 you are instructed:

"Ok Cadet! Get your bird in the air and I'll meet you at waypoint 2, angels 8 at 260 knots."

So you fly to the WP first where the FE is waiting for you, then you get the more detailed instructions for the PO:

"Ok Cadet! Your performance check starts now..."

And 12 seconds after that you should hear:

"Fly heading 260, angels 8 at 260 knots."

For BFT12 it's a straight in approach to Kobuleti from the East and you need to park in the first revetment on the right (#42). There is some activity after you shutdown so you need to be in that revetment to trigger that activity.

For the controls issues check the version of the missions you are playing (should be v1.3). We don't touch any controls in the mission files so maybe you have some other controls mapped somewhere or maybe ED's defaults are not set to your liking.

For the spiral dive just watch your speed. If you go too fast the triggers won't trip. You need to make 3 circles before you reach the lowest altitude. Stay nose down and in the bank (I used the joystick to keep both nose down and banked). You can still pass the mission if you fail the Spiral Dive as we realize it's a tough technique to master and the triggers to test it in the mission editor are not ideal (see spoiler post earlier).

The BFT09 non-campaign training mission doesn't have any initial message.

In BFT12 I accidentally parked on the first revetment to the left instead of right d'oh :doh:

Thanks Archer7 I'll check the BFT09 practice mission out.

Since the left and right can be confusing here is an updated graphic we plan to release in the next package update.

So the correct instructions are actually to turn to the right and park in the first free revetement on your left.

Sorry for the confusion.

359355175_CopyofBFT12FlightRoute2.jpg.6f25e79fae73c98a3126adb8caca41e6.jpg

Thanks Archer7 I'll check the BFT09 practice mission out.

Since the left and right can be confusing here is an updated graphic we plan to release in the next package update.

So the correct instructions are actually to turn to the right and park in the first free revetement on your left.

Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, that's where I did park though. Maybe there's a scripting error in the non-campaign mission.

If you're going to move this campaign to the NTTR is that going to cost anything?

I also suggest you still make the missions playable in Georgia since NTTR is going to cost some money, I think, so maybe not everyone will buy it.

I’m definitely going to.

Edit: In BFT02 the shut-down zone should be expanded slightly as this wasn't close enough to qualify and I had to start-up again, spin around a bit closer, shut-down aaand got a Q- because I had 0 seconds to shut-down.

I usually park in the octagons which works in the other missions I've played...

m9QCIHSl.jpg

Edit2: In BFT09 I got terminate terminate terminate for not maintaining pattern altitude even though the height indicator arrow thing was dropping and I was only about 5 nm from the runway... dang...

I think I've been terminated in some mission because of the instructor insisting on me maintaining pattern altitude before too.

Edited by Archer7

Absolutely! We have already been digging up information related to the Nellis complex so we can make the MOA and Transit Routes accurate!

This is going to be very exciting times when EDGE comes out and the new maps are available!

Can't wait Sabre...can't wait :thumbup:

Campaign mission BFT10 contains a critical bug! Can't be won.

Between Waypoint 2 and 3 after you get in the air you are expected to maintain 6000 ft but after a moment the instructor says "Maintain 6000 ft!" and then terminates the mission claiming you exceeded the Q- criteria even if your altitude is 6000 ft, 6010 ft or 6100 ft...

Stand-alone mission works.

In BFT09 I have also detected an issue where if you do not actually cross the extended runway during final approach you will not be allowed to descend so if you are coming in at an angle slightly north of it you will be failed as you descend.

All you have to do though is increase the width of the final approach detection zone.

All players have to do is make sure they overshoot the final approach slightly but if you don’t know that you’re in for something of a surprise as you attempt to descend.

Edit: attempted increasing or decreasing altitude slightly in BFT10 and I'm still terminated every single time.

Here's the track where I get Q- at 6100 in the middle of WP2 and WP3 after he says "You can use any navaids..."

http://www.filedropper.com/bft10q-

Track is about 15-20 minutes I think and plays at x8 until I'm approaching 6000 ft.

Edited by Archer7

Archer7..do you check/change QFE when you get that information from ATC when you ask takeoff or landing? In some missions it's different than default so you need to change that.

With these wonderfull missions I have got habit to always check QFE when that information have send when "talked" to ATC..:).

Edited by Iku64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP Z420 | Xeon E5-1650 @3.20GHz/3.70Ghz | 16Gb DDR3-1333 | ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti AMP! | Micron RealSSD C400 256Gb | Sound Blaster Z | TrackIR4 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog| CH Pro pedals | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Archer7..do you check/change QFE when you get that information from ATC when you ask takeoff or landing? In some missions it's different than default so you need to change that.

With these wonderfull missions I have got habit to always check QFE when that information have send when "talked" to ATC..:).

Yes, I most often do.

I'm certain that's not the issue with this mission though since QFE is 29.89 if I remember correctly which makes a difference of a couple dozen feet or so and I flew everything in between +500/-100 and still didn’t qualify.

Oh and I skipped ahead and completed BFT. Epic ending!

I’ve spent about 20 hours with BFT which of 4h30m was the campaign qualification so the campaign is certainly worth its $5.

So now I'm going to start inching my way into AFT and play other aircraft too.

:pilotfly:

All the freqs are listed in the mission briefing but I see what you mean.

We are missing PINPOINT, BADGER and JAGUAR references in the mission data card.

PINPOINT 1-1 30.0 Mhz FM

BADGER 1-1 31.0 Mhz FM

JAGUAR 1-1 32.0 Mhz FM

I'll add those for the next update.

Were there any others?

lil problem here, doing the BT02 mission in the campaign and after turning to 060 I didn't get the instructions to shut down the engine. So after about 5 min I quit... I got 75 score and got kicked into the next mission...

Can I got back to BFT02 without restarting the campaign ?

ty

General Nerd :pirate:

Intel I5 4ghz, 16Gb Ram, GTX1070, Saitek X55 HOTAS