Air-to-Air Missile Discussion

Shein

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not just russian missiles : /

i have many many tacviews that show amraams never even beginning to track

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The point is, people go on and on without a clue making senseless assumptions. SGAT's missile mod only affects kinematics, not guidance.

The other point is, most of the people around don't have a clue about anything relevant, but all they see is that the rest of the people cry. So they absorb it into their persona and start crying themselves. Except now they have even less clue about anything. It's like a bad rumor.

Then one goes on to play the game, fires missiles, they miss. They miss because he can't even provide optimal launch conditions (or more commonly, he doesn't even know what that is). But instead of realizing that they come on the forum and cry some more. It's getting pretty lame. At this point you can't even judge how many of the complaints are actually legit, the only ones that can be taken seriously at all are those that provide a track and an acmi. Based on that you can tell if the driver sucked or it was a fault in the system. Usually it's the first.

And so begins the exponential growth of the clueless brigade..

EDIT:

I realize that you might take this post as offensive, which isn't much of my intention. However I'm frustrated with what I see going on in the community lately.

In a sketch, basically there are the core people who test and realize the issues. They understand the problem (mostly), and they usually post their findings on the forum. Then more people start taking these stuff, but they only take the result. They will take that the missiles are shit, they won't really know why. Some of them who have spent many hours in DCS and have a long term dedication might know aswell. But really I'm talking more than 90% of them will not have a clue, all they know is that they suck. Now this claim that the missiles have problems will be legit if someone objectively observes the situation, with tracks and acmi. The core people also have a good understand of how these weapons should be fired and how to give the highest possible chance to the missile to achieve a kill (yes, optimal firing conditions exist in real life too and they are very very important). However the rest of the crowd will hardly have a clue about how to meet these optimal parameters. I know this because I've seen enough community videos, and the vast majority of them fail miserably. You see to blame things on the system first of all you have to make sure you have completely prevented or atleast totally minimized any errors by the user (you) which the majority of the crowd is incapable and unwilling to do. That is the complete opposite of what the majority of the people do. They fail terribly and blame the game for it.

In the end the result is that the community perceives the game flawed and unrealistic and buggy and because of what they see from the other people they wouldn't even consider thinking that they might have done something wrong.

Not to say there aren't problems of course, but what I see going on is just ridiculous.

TL;DR if you assume the missiles are awful you either post a track and acmi for us so that we can help or you'd better shut your mouth. Period.

Edited by <Blaze>

• 1 month later...

Strange AIM7 Kill

Hi gents!

What happens here?

I kill the target and after 11 sec i was killed by his AIM7. At 13:42:00 in tacview record it is clearly visible how AIM7 go on chaffs, passing behind me and... i have no words. Because that missile made a turnaround and kill me from a distance around 3.5Km. :doh:

AIM7.png

ACMI: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgy2siqomocadtx/AIM7.rar?dl=0

Please don`t tell me about lagg, delays...

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

It is about lag, sorry. The missile you see in your game is simulated in your game. The missile on the offenders game is simulated in his game, and if it hits you take damage. Your game assumes is simulating the same thing but sometimes they are out of sync.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ok.

But... 11 sec lag!? :helpsmilie:

@SDsc0rch

Western or Eastern - no good to anyone.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

was your ECM on?

Also you the replay may have gotten completely broken, and it's not what actually happened.

Edited by karambiatos

11 sec of some form of display/synchronization lag, yes. It can happen, it sucks, but any time you see very strange flight paths from missiles, that is what it is.

Ok.

But... 11 sec lag!? :helpsmilie:

@SDsc0rch

Western or Eastern - no good to anyone.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 2 months later...

Missiles being reworked in Wags latest video!

Listed areas in need of development:

1) Missiles physics at 30k.

2) Augmented PN to perform better against maneuvering targets.

3) Lofting (time to go time).

4) Chaff effectiveness further tuning against SAHR missiles based on lookdown aspect.

5) Fuzing logic.

If I understood correctly he says points 3 and 4 are causing most of the discontent within the community. Anyone know or can illustrate what an augmented PN navigation method would look like or describe its advantages? Do we have a conclusive list of which missiles are capable of lofting? Clearly i'm very intrigued by point 4 as well:)

Cant wait for this thread to take off again once we see some changes! Go ED;)

Edited by ///Rage

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

• 4 weeks later...

Mig-29 R-77 Range?

Does anyone know what is supposed to be the range on the R-77. I get a launch authorization at about roughly 25 km at about 3000 meters altitude. In the flanker I get launch authorization with R-27ER's at almost 50KM. Is that how its supposed to be or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

The R-77 feels severely downgraded in both range and speed retention, at least compared to how it used to fly in previous FC versions. The Fulcrum has just started getting some attention recently (new cockpit) so hopefully the Adder is on the to-do list as well.

A2A missiles in general need some tweaking here and there, the R-77 however is in a desperate shape.

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj