Throttle - the best practices?

Jumbik

So I would like to get into the A-10C after a long time and was wondering one thing. How are real pilots treating the throttle in A-10C?

I know this is based on situation, flying in wings will change it completely but what are the standards?

For example when I'm traversing long distances, it is ok to put 100% throttle for long time? Are engines build around this? Are there any repercussions if I will do it, like engine damage or does it affect only fuel consumption in a long run?

I'm usually flying with jets where it is something you do only occasionally and usually in combat so that is why I'm asking (not that there would be any damage modeled around time of afterburner used...) and fuel consumption is a BIG thing there.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

I´m not that experienced with jets either but the manual suggests a cruise speed of about 300kts - I think this would be the most economic setting for maximum range.

And here is a short quote out of the manual regarding max throttle:

Moving the throttle between IDLE and MAX controls the amount of fuel supplied to the engines and thus controls the thrust commanded to the engines. However, commanded thrust can be overridden in case of engine over-temperature.
So I think you can´t say in general that it´s ok to slam the throttle full forward for a long time and just leave it be - far more I think it´s more important to keep an eye on the gauges and the values and act accordingly.

Yeah, I'm not the jet mechanic either, but I suppose there are a few assumptions that can be safely made. The TF-34 used in A-10 seems to be slightly derated compared to the "base" version (40.32kN vs 41.2 kN).

Normally in civil jet engines e.g. CFM-56 you would have take-off thrust that would be limited to x minutes of continuous operation and then max continuous thrust that can be kept indefinitely (assuming parameters are in order).

I found no notion of limitations on TF-34 so I guess it's quite safe to say that engine can be operated continuously on maximum thrust setting, again, if all parameters are in green zone.

Of course you will get much higher fuel consumption and cause more wear on the engine, but it should not fail.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

I agree, the A-10's engines are well known for their durability. I'm not aware of any restrictions regarding the duration of full throttle.

Some aspects to consider: If you fly with wingmen, lead should always fly a little less than full throttle to give the wingmen some reserves in order allow them to hold their desired position.

Personally, I fly 100% thrust during combat since the A-10 is slow enough as it is, so I want to squeeze out every knot it can give me. During cruise, I prefer something like 90% throttle because of the reduced fuel flow.

Most missions I fly with others, I end up with significantly more fuel than they have because I tend to go back to 90% as soon as I've finished an attack and am clear of all known and suspected threats. When scanning a target area, I often keep it just above 200 kts at maybe 50% or 60% thrust, that really gives me better loiter times.

• Like 1

If you want to you can use your AOA indicator in the Main Instrument Panel for fuel optimization;

AoA for cruising: 15-16,

AoA for maximum endurance: 17-18 (may come in handy for loitering)

AoA for landing approaches: 19-20-21

dFohQDZ.png

Please check out the full article here; http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.dk/2010/10/dcs-10c-warthog-angle-of-attack-watch_24.html

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo
  • Like 2

If you want to you can use your AOA indicator in the Main Instrument Panel for fuel optimization;

AoA for cruising: 15-16,

That is maximum finesse AoA (i.e. maximum gliding range/maximum cruise range). You will die before reaching your destination cruising at that speed in the Hog. :smilewink:

I use to cruise at 75-77% FAN (N1). That gives my friends plenty of room to catch up.

The engines are good as long as their gauges are on green. You can see what the yellow and red mean in the aircraft manual. In order to extend the life of the engines, jets normally use a lower power setting suitable for the task. E.g. an airliner will not take off with maximum thrust when they have pre-calculated performance tables stating that it can safely takeoff with reduced power.

Download the aircraft manual here and look in section 5.1 for operating limitations and instrument markings:

http://www.docfoc.com/download/documents/t-o-1a-10c-1-flight-manual-usaf-series-a-10c-2012

Edited by escaner

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem that I see with cruising at 300kts in game is the the engines on the A10C are modeled incorrectly. Meaning they are not as strong as they are in real life. I am only able to ever cruise at around 300kts when my plane is unarmed and low fuel. Cruising speed for me in game is around 230-250kts and Im at full throttle when im alone. The A10C has a wonderous ability to stay in the air for long periods of time. Don't worry so much about staying at max power etc unless you're loitering.

From the videos I've seen, real life A-10 pilots like to fly consistently at around 300 kts which requires full or near full power.

Which kind of speed? CAS/TAS?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

@Hansolo: Interesting article!

Thanks @Aginor. Was pointed towards it by Energy or IronHog from 476th.

That is maximum finesse AoA (i.e. maximum gliding range/maximum cruise range). You will die before reaching your destination cruising at that speed in the Hog. :smilewink:

Not sure I understand the die part? You mean it cannot fly with that AOA or I will be very old when reaching the destination?

Download the aircraft manual here and look in section 5.1 for operating limitations and instrument markings:

http://www.docfoc.com/download/documents/t-o-1a-10c-1-flight-manual-usaf-series-a-10c-2012

I am afraid that I cannot download. As far as I have understood on previous thread that is a classified/restricted doc :cry:

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo
Unsure who pointed me towards the article

I usually cruise at max thrust, if I want better fuel economy I'll just climb to ~25k or so. I rarely take more than 75% fuel either, the A-10 has incredible endurance and flies a lot better without the extra weight.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Not sure I understand the die part? You mean it cannot fly with that AOA or I will be very old when reaching the destination?

I was kidding. It is just that aircraft don't usually fly at maximum finesse in cruise, unless they are really low on fuel for example. It would be very slow.

I am afraid that I cannot download. As far as I have understood on previous thread that is a classified/restricted doc :cry:

Didn't notice that, but anyway that is the problem of that website (which maybe isn't even in the US)

PS: From what I have read, 300 KCAS is min speed for an attack run.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was kidding. It is just that aircraft don't usually fly at maximum finesse in cruise, unless they are really low on fuel for example. It would be very slow.

Ha ha @escaner, copy that :thumbup: I usually don't run into fuel problems with the Hog either. Last time was probably during a very cool mission AMVI hosted where there was a flight into the AO of about an hour. Mostly our own missions we have a fixed landing time which would give us a tie on station of about 1½ hours for CAS.

Didn't notice that, but anyway that is the problem of that website (which maybe isn't even in the US)

PS: From what I have read, 300 KCAS is min speed for an attack run.

I should have written more clearly. The download link probably works but I will not try it. There was a warning/cautioning a while back about the distribution of that manual, http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=60293&page=9

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo
Additonal info

Which kind of speed? CAS/TAS?

IAS

The problem that I see with cruising at 300kts in game is the the engines on the A10C are modeled incorrectly. Meaning they are not as strong as they are in real life. I am only able to ever cruise at around 300kts when my plane is unarmed and low fuel.

The engines are not modelled incorrectly. This is normal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is the limitation page out of the Dash 1. The 1-1 performance manual would have specific altitude / cruise setting info etc.(but I don't have one of those...

image.thumb.png.a082cf82902c91a32ace3c199d936a89.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.