Struggling with JTAC...

Aeger

Sometimes I get all the way up to where JTAC says "Read back correct," but I don't receive any data through my SADL. I expect "Standby Data" as he normal does but he's been frequently skipping that part and going straight to "Report IP INBOUND."

In addition, it seems my JTAC has a hard time hearing. He says "Advise when ready for 9-line" and I respond with "Ready to copy remarks" and nothing happens... however if I do it repeatedly I will usually receive an answer and the process will resume.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks.

Edited by Aeger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whether or not a JTAC gives data is a unit option in the editor, so not all of will do that. You'l have to rely on his mark, and if he doesn't have one, type in the coords, which is what most of the pilots I know do.

As for JTAC being slow, thats just bad scripting on ED's part. Behind the scenes other scripts are interfering and fighting for their turn. Things like ATC, Awacs, Wingman callouts, all those things bog the comm scripting down.

Whether or not a JTAC gives data is a unit option in the editor, so not all of will do that. You'l have to rely on his mark, and if he doesn't have one, type in the coords, which is what most of the pilots I know do.

Yup, agreed.

Just a small addition: In order to be able to send data directly to the aircraft, ground units must be EPLRS capable. If they don't have that, they can't send the tasking anyway.

If they have EPLRS, there's an advanced waypoint option IIRC where mission designers can still decide to set this feature to Off on a per-target basis.

Since one will never know whether the JTAC is going to send the data via SADL until he actually does, it's good procedure to always write down the coords and be able to create a new waypoint manually.

As for JTAC being slow, thats just bad scripting on ED's part. Behind the scenes other scripts are interfering and fighting for their turn. Things like ATC, Awacs, Wingman callouts, all those things bog the comm scripting down.

I'd say so, too.

I allways type in the Coords the JTAC gives me.

Pro Tipp: Map your keyboard to the CDU-Keypad. Makes things so much more simple.

Cheers

Kelevra

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

I allways type in the Coords the JTAC gives me.

Pro Tipp: Map your keyboard to the CDU-Keypad. Makes things so much more simple.

Cheers

Kelevra

More pro tip: You don't have to bind it. It's already bound by default.

LCtrl + Lwin + keyboard/numpad keys

I could also ask my question here: do you guys use the weapon what the JTAC says you to use? I find it pretty ridiculous to use a CBU-87 against a target consisting of four soldiers. Why not use normal bombs or just the gun? Plus the CBU seems to do pretty bad damage against infantry.

I could also ask my question here: do you guys use the weapon what the JTAC says you to use? I find it pretty ridiculous to use a CBU-87 against a target consisting of four soldiers. Why not use normal bombs or just the gun? Plus the CBU seems to do pretty bad damage against infantry.

There is a reason JTAC didn't cut it as a pilot .... =D

Often their suggestions are poor unless you're in type 1. Then I've seen them pick some better weapon choices so you don't kill friendlies.

Best as I can tell, unless scripted otherwise, JTAC will choose its recommended weapon not based on anything dynamic such as weather, visibility, or target types, but rather some sort of pre-built priority table that has cluster bombs on a high priority all the way down to guns being the lowest priority.