I could use some input.

GritsnGravy

Hey all! First, I’d like to say that this is by far the best gaming community that I have ever come across. I started playing DCS FC3 back in April and have been lurking around the forums ever since. I have to say that the user made guides and overall knowledge found here are beyond phenomenal, kudus to all of you for the effort that you’ve put into this.

I’ve been playing the A-10C module for about two months and after going through the training missions multiple times, reading guides and watching videos, I figured that I decided to get my toes wet and started on some missions.

After several tries, I manage to complete Georgian Spring- easy, Sunset Sierra, and Smerch Hunt. Last night I was feeling relatively confident that I had the rudimentary skill set to try the first mission of the Georgian Hammer campaign and boy, was I wrong about that. After 15 minutes of what can best be described as top shelf buffoonery, I was shot down while anchored at WP3 trying to figure out how to use the SEAD, CAS and CAP assets. Afterward, while reading the message screen that basically said how terrible I am, I decided that I need dig in and really learn what’s going on.

Which brings me to the reason I am posting this. I would like your opinions on which of the stock missions would be a good place to start practicing command and control of air assets and using JTAC. I think I have a relative handle on JTAC, at least UTM coordinates. The only mission that I have done that used L/L is Smerch Hunt, but for some reason, every time I enter them the mission waypoint ends up being in the mountains. I’m not sure if that’s a bug or something I’m doing but I would like to get some additional practice with L/L. Any and all pointers would be helpful. I am researching this stuff on my own, however, you guys have the vast knowledge and experience to point me in the right direction.

Sorry for the drawn out post but I wanted to give you all an idea on where my noob level is at. Thanks all!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EVGA DG-97 Case |Asus Rampage VI Extreme MoBo.| I9-7900@4.7GHz | 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 @ 3GHz | x2 Asus GTX 1080Ti. |Custom Water Loop | Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Samsung 850 1TB SSD, WD Black 1TB SSD Toshiba 2TB HDD, Toshiba 3TB HDD, WD 6TB HDD|

x2 Asus ROG PG348Q | Oculus CV1 | Trackir 5| TM Warthog| Crosswind rudder pedals

Personally I don't think learning how to command AI is very useful. I'm almost never in a position that requires me to command AI. Also the radio menu in DCS is poorly designed. So its hard to manage. Also if you're being shot down by enemy jets, while circling, thats because you're an easy target. :smilewink: Run and hide!

As for the coordinate input, make sure you're putting an N and an E before long and lat (resp.) that should help bring it on target. Though, L/L coordinates are another one of those things that never gets used. I say swap your map to give you UTM readouts in the options menu.

And if you need any assistance with the A-10 you can find me on Steam as Breedus.

P.S your set up brings a godam tear to my eye.

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Haha! Yeah, that's a pretty maxxed out gaming rig :)

Anyway, I don't have a very high opinion of the Georgian Hammer stock campaign. Most people would probably tell you to join a virtual squadron at this point and play multiplayer. DCS has great flight mechanics but version 1.5 is pretty thin on good stock missions/campaigns. I guess the mission called "Hideout" is pretty good though.

With regards to L/L coordinates, I have never put in an "N" or "E" in my coordinates, but I think you do have to put in the leading 0 for your northing, but not easting, as in "042" etc. Try that and see if that fixes it for you.

If you're using MGRS, then make sure you are using the right grid. For the caucus region you will be in either 38T or 37T

I would recommend you to start with a couple of free and simple campaigns:

* Operation Save Badger

* Operation Jackal

Then, a nice follow on would be "Enemy Within". It is a payware campaign (used to be free, but it is well worth the money). If you are lucky it might go on sale while you are still flying the first two. :)

Personally, I hate stock campaigns with all that stupid radio spam "Enfield 1 passing waypoint 99" that will not allow you to communicate. Man, nobody cares at which waypoint you are, and even if someone cared, nobody knows where it is!

There is very little to none of that in those three campaigns and their missions are quite diverse not to become monotonous.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would recommend you to start with a couple of free and simple campaigns:

* Operation Save Badger

* Operation Jackal

Then, a nice follow on would be "Enemy Within". It is a payware campaign (used to be free, but it is well worth the money). If you are lucky it might go on sale while you are still flying the first two. :)

Personally, I hate stock campaigns with all that stupid radio spam "Enfield 1 passing waypoint 99" that will not allow you to communicate. Man, nobody cares at which waypoint you are, and even if someone cared, nobody knows where it is!

There is very little to none of that in those three campaigns and their missions are quite diverse not to become monotonous.

This!

Especially the Enemy Within-campaign is well done and makes use of all capabilities of the A-10C over the course of the campaign. The other two are also pretty nice. The stock Georgian Hammer campaign is pretty poor work IMHO.

Learning how to command the AI is not really something a Hawg-driver needs to do.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

/shameless plug

best way to learn about JTACs and CAS is actually doing it yourself :D

We train JTACs (based on RL JTAC experience we have in the wing) and on a regular basis do CAS training wiht human JTACs on the virtual battlefield.

Our A10-C squadron is closed for recruitment atm, but afaik the JTAC squad is accepting trainees, feel free to check us out if your playtimes are in Euro evenings

I couldn’t agree more about the radio menu. There are far too many keystrokes involved in trying to get your wingman to engage a specific target and just in general. I wasn’t sure if the use of the other assets might have been a mission requirement, glad to know that it isn’t completely necessary to use them. Still, it probably wouldn't hurt for me to practice using them; they might come in handy in a pinch. I probably won’t focus on it too much in the short term then.

Turning and running is defiantly sound advice :) , in this case, by the time I realized I was under attack, there wasn’t much I could do but sit back and embrace the horror.

On the L/L coordinates, I am using N043.xxxx and E043.xxx, any other method I’ve tried only results in an “input error”. I haven’t tired inputting them without the N/E, Xavven, I’ll try it out and see if it works for me. I’ll probably just end up taking Braeden108’s advice and change the map.

I picked up TEW and Basic Qualification campaigns when I first grabbed the A10C module. I pretty much knew I wasn’t ready for either of them but I had read good things about them so I went for it. I went through and Completed BFT01 last night, it’s pretty interesting; I can see how it will be useful in getting better at this. I’m going to get the Jackal and Badger ones when I get home. It’s good to know that they don’t have all that radio chatter. I think that was the most confusing / irritating part of it all.

I appreciate the offer, EntropySG. I live in the U.S. Mountain time zone and play mostly evenings. Odds are I’d never be able to make the flight times.

LOL, Mike. I haven’t seen Johnny 5 in years.

Thank you all for the feedback!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EVGA DG-97 Case |Asus Rampage VI Extreme MoBo.| I9-7900@4.7GHz | 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 @ 3GHz | x2 Asus GTX 1080Ti. |Custom Water Loop | Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Samsung 850 1TB SSD, WD Black 1TB SSD Toshiba 2TB HDD, Toshiba 3TB HDD, WD 6TB HDD|

x2 Asus ROG PG348Q | Oculus CV1 | Trackir 5| TM Warthog| Crosswind rudder pedals

by the time I realized I was under attack' date=' there wasn’t much I could do but sit back and embrace the horror. [/quote']

Nonsense! If you have time to be horrified, you have time to light up the 'winders and turn in! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think you need the "0" for the N/S coordinates; just 43xxxx, you E/W will require the "043xxxxx" format, that may be what's putting your steerpoint off in lala land. It's been a while since I worked in lat/long in the Hog though, so I could be wrong. :)

If you're looking for some folks to fly with, feel free to stop by. Our mission nights are Sundays at 8PM EST. We also host pickup flights and other events frequently. We don't have a mandatory attendance policy, and we accept players of all skill levels. We offer training in the A-10C, F-15C, M-2000C, UH-1H, KA-50, and to a somewhat lesser degree the Su-25T and SA-342.

The single player content mentioned above is top notch, but I think you'll find multiplayer is a totally different (and very enjoyable!) experience.

http://355thvfs.enjin.com

Edited by feefifofum

Nonsense! If you have time to be horrified, you have time to light up the 'winders and turn in! :D

Good point, lol. Next time I’ll try and unleash a little horror of my own.

I don't think you need the "0" for the N/S coordinates; just 43xxxx, you E/W will require the "043xxxxx" format, that may be what's putting your steerpoint off in lala land. It's been a while since I worked in lat/long in the Hog though, so I could be wrong. :)

If you're looking for some folks to fly with, feel free to stop by. Our mission nights are Sundays at 8PM EST. We also host pickup flights and other events frequently. We don't have a mandatory attendance policy, and we accept players of all skill levels. We offer training in the A-10C, F-15C, M-2000C, UH-1H, KA-50, and to a somewhat lesser degree the Su-25T and SA-342.

The single player content mentioned above is top notch, but I think you'll find multiplayer is a totally different (and very enjoyable!) experience.

http://355thvfs.enjin.com

I’ve been doing some additional reading on the problem I’m having and might have figured out what I’m doing wrong. I should have some time to put it to the test this weekend. With the F-5 just being released, I intend on spending some time messing around with that a little bit.

I am interested in multiplayer and flying with you guys. That time on Sunday is perfect for me, that is when I normal fire up the engines for and get some flight time in. I’ll send you a pm and stop by your website if that works for you. Thanks for the invite!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]