A-10C dive bombing

ex81

Hi,

got a problem, when trying to dive bombing a not moving target.

I aproach target at about 15000 feet with CCIP selected. Then I start diving at an angel of about 35 to 40 degrees, but the piper stays beyond the bottom of the HUD. It appears when I`m much to low for weapon release. So most of the time I miss my target.

Any idea what I do wrong ?

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

Simply put, your dive isn't steep enough. The closer you are to the target, the steeper your dive will be, and the more accurate the bomb will be. If you want to achieve a shallow dive, start the dive further away from the target. If you want to achieve a steep dive, start the dive closer to the target. Check out this graphic, it will show you just a typical run for both Japanese and Allied bombers during WW2 in Anti-ship operations. I find that this method works for the A-10C, and I use 50-60 degrees and tend to drop the bomb around 2,500-3,500AGL.

divetac2.jpg

Edited by Kippy

1. What are your planned release parameters?

2. What are your base parameters?

3. How are you moving the jet between the two?

Your problem is that 2. is not correct for 1., and/or 3. isn't allowing you to transition between the two, therefore you delivery goes wrong at the start. There are quite a few threads already in this forum discussing unguided bomb delivery in some depth where I and a few others have answered many questions on the subject. Rather than starting again, I'd recommend reading through them and then asking any extra questions you think of.

Two threads to get started with

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=99688

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=117350

And lastly, take a look at the various weapon delivery example videos in the youtube channel in my sig.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Ok and thank you for all replies. I`ll read the posts and do a lot more exercises.

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

Perhaps also download 476TTP3-3.A-10C found here; http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=165469.

Direct download is here; http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=376

IMHO it is some of the info in the two threads posted by Eddie but collected into one unified chapter '5 Air to Surface Employment'.

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo

So there are 3 modes for a CCIP release. First is the standard, the bomb pipper is where the bomb will land. This is really only useful in really low level bombing. Luckily the guys over at Fairchild came up with 2 other modes. 3/9 and 5 mil. 3/9 and 5 mil makes it so the pipper is above where the bomb will fall. It allows you to mark a target with the pickle then it will go into a kind of CCRP mode to drop a bomb on the designated spot. You can turn it on with the IFFCC switch, flip it to the center and a menu on the hud will come up switch the first item (ccip concent mode I think) to 3/9 or 5 mil. I never use anything other than 3/9. (But I've never really tried 5 mil could be good)

This probably doesn't make a lot of sense so here's a tutorial

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Xe1M5LpY4[/ame]

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried different typs of dive bombing and I think CCIP 3/9 could be my favorit.

BUT when I start to dive about 5 to 10 degrees , the pipper shows only half at the bottom ofthe HUD. This makes it hard to to place the bomb where it should go.

Any idea what I`m doing wrong or what I miss ???????

CCIP 3/9 is an avionics setting not a type of dive bombing, what exactly are you trying to do (can you post a track/video)?

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Have you tried to lean forward? It may just be that the you do not see the full HUD when doing Concent Release. You may be able to see that I lead forward on this small test; [ame]

[/ame]

Don't pay attention to the poor SEM.

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo
YT added

I can`t lean forward cause I don`t use this Track stuff. And I followed the tutorial by the letter.

One question is: if I do not start to dive, how can I designate a point where the bomb should hit the ground ?

When I use the standard CCIP, the pipper shows up like expected.

This may work for you as a simple solution for now until you figure out the track problem. Go into the snap views with right control and numpad insert or 0 key and then 8 for the HUD. You'll get a full HUD view and should be able to see the pipper. After you do your dive hit control + insert again. You could even set up a hot key to toggle back and forth. Don't know if this will help you but it may be worth a try at least.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you. I`ll give a try and let you know the results.

I can`t lean forward cause I don`t use this Track stuff. And I followed the tutorial by the letter.

Shouldn't be an issue, if you get the tip in right then there should be no need to lean forward or change your viewpoint.

However, that said if you can't look around easily you'll find it more difficult to get your base point correct which in turn will cause errors that amplify after tip in.

One question is: if I do not start to dive, how can I designate a point where the bomb should hit the ground ?

You can't. But as I said previously, how you "dive" is the most significant part of the delivery, if you get that wrong then you won't get an accurate delivery.

When I use the standard CCIP, the pipper shows up like expected.

Try and get away from thinking about the type of aiming method (again, different CCIP/CCRP settings are not different methods of delivery). Concentrate on getting a single delivery type, for example, 30 degree dive bomb, consistently correct and then move on to others.

If you can provide a track/video of a few attempts then it'll be easier for people to give you specific pointers.

Spoiler

Some more info you may find helpful that I forgot to pass on previously giving the detail on the various weapon delivery types.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?3131-Air-to-Surface-Weapon-Delivery-Methods

Spoiler