Anyone remember TFX?

mytai01

DiD's Tactical Fighter Experimental was pretty fun as long as you didn't die ever! It didn't have a save game feature and if your pilot died or was captured you had to restart the whole campaign from the beginning! The game featured the EF2000, a Naval version of the F22, and the F117.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Yeah i remember this game very well, i waited very patiently for it to be released for my Commodore Amiga but it never came :doh:

However i did get it for the first PC i owned, had to install it from 8 1.44mb floppies lol

Loved the music, but the game itself was a bit of a mess (AI, FM..), like it was unfinished and lacked focus. It was fun to mark targets and hit them with LGB's, but that was pretty much that.

IMHO, the only fully developed sims of that early age (up to mid-90's) were the Fleet Defender and Tornado. I could never get into the Falcon 3 for some reason; I guess the graphics (especially of the terrain) were below acceptable bringing the whole immersion down; if it came a few years later and looked like Tornado at least, it would have helped it immensely.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

DiD's Tactical Fighter Experimental was pretty fun as long as you didn't die ever! It didn't have a save game feature and if your pilot died or was captured you had to restart the whole campaign from the beginning! The game featured the EF2000, a Naval version of the F22, and the F117.

I totally loved ef2000 . It did turn me into sim

Good memories :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah i remember this game very well, i waited very patiently for it to be released for my Commodore Amiga but it never came :doh:

I feel you there bro... but...

It eventually came out in a semi-finished form on an CU Amiga magazine CUCD:

CU_AMIGA_Issue_092_1997_Oct-1.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe Im wrong, but imho it was the first game/sim that introduced the 3d/virtual cockpit. I was stunned by the graphics at those times... But I wasnt playing it much

I loved TFX, i still owe my Original copy for the Amiga!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Oh the memories - DI's Tornado followed by DI's Hind and DI's Apache were the main ones for me. Oh and then there was DI's F16Fighting Falcom as well (forgot that one).

Before that was F117 on a 286

Also Syndicate was another massive time waster for me (non flight sim game)

Mucking around with DOS to get enough free memory to run games.

Edited by X93355

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

• 6 months later...
Oh the memories - DI's Tornado followed by DI's Hind and DI's Apache were the main ones for me. Oh and then there was DI's F16Fighting Falcom as well (forgot that one).

Before that was F117 on a 286

Also Syndicate was another massive time waster for me (non flight sim game)

Mucking around with DOS to get enough free memory to run games.

Mujahedeen soldier? FIRING NOW! :)

On-topic, though, TFX was my favourite combat sim at the time (1994) and I used to play it for MONTHS. The soundtrack contributed a lot to the immersion, maginficient work by Barry Leitsch.

A truly memorable game. "Tracking... Looks like the lizard!"

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat