Testing the effect of A/G weapons as used on the Mig-21.

Holbeach

This is a collection of videos I made to illustrate the effect of air to ground bombs and rockets on tanks, which I had used to illustrate other posts.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Great videos with all angles. o7

I thought that the Air to Air missile selector should be kept in neutral position while using bombs and rockets. I might remember wrong(more than likely) about what the manual state. But none the less good videos for quick reference =) Going to keep them close. I hope Chuck get around to see them and maybe ad them to his good manual(s)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great videos with all angles. o7

I thought that the Air to Air missile selector should be kept in neutral position while using bombs and rockets. I might remember wrong(more than likely) about what the manual state. But none the less good videos for quick reference =) Going to keep them close. I hope Chuck get around to see them and maybe ad them to his good manual(s)

thanks for the positive comments.

You can leave the A/A switch where it is.

All you need for bombs are.

Master to gnd.

ASP-PFD to bombardement.

Select relevant pylon (1-4 if you want them all to go).

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

All you need for bombs are.

Master to gnd.

ASP-PFD to bombardement.

Select relevant pylon (1-4 if you want them all to go).

aand the tactical release switch up, if you want them to actually go boom after the release :)

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

aand the tactical release switch up, if you want them to actually go boom after the release :)

I'm glad you're paying attention. :doh:

Don't forget the tactical release switch and bombs armed light, tucked in behind the stick. :joystick:

• Like 1

So, is there any special trick to using the retarded bombs, been trying them out but sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I have the Sapphire in Locked Beam Mode so the piper gets an accurate measurement, flying low level and releasing when the pipper is on target. Sometimes I get a succesful hit, sometimes the bomb is way off. I really feel a bit foolish that I cannot figure this out!

Excellent video's as well, gives me a good idea on how the bombs work and what the result is!

So, is there any special trick to using the retarded bombs, been trying them out but sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I have the Sapphire in Locked Beam Mode so the piper gets an accurate measurement, flying low level and releasing when the pipper is on target. Sometimes I get a succesful hit, sometimes the bomb is way off. I really feel a bit foolish that I cannot figure this out!

Excellent video's as well, gives me a good idea on how the bombs work and what the result is!

Thanks.

I never use the radar for GA, just the straight bomb sight.

When traveling fast at low level, the release delay makes a big difference, especially with retards, so you need to allow for that. If using clusters, they always fall extra short, so more allowance is necessary. I set the outer ring and use that as the pipper and adjust as required.

GL.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few more I made for other posts to see the effect of nukes and clusters on massed vehicles.

Edited by Holbeach
Moved the nukes.

Updated "Holbeach AWR" file.

This is the weapon range as it currently stands .

At the moment being used for Mig-21 pop up bombing.

• Like 1

Very nice once again!

Thanks. It's appreciated.

Trying retarded bomb delivery at 300' AGL on static SPGs.

Bombing arty column on the move with retarded bomb at 300' AGL. A near miss was good enough for a kill.

Rockets produce no recoil, but you can see the recoil effect on this Mig-21, shown from several different angles, when using the S-24B A/G missile. This should not be here. The recoil is pushing the nose down and also reducing the speed.

Edited by Holbeach
Added 1 video

The S5 M rocket is meant for light armour and soft targets, but if you concentrate enough on one spot you can kill a tank, in this case a T-72. Just over on the right is a soft convoy. We'll do that one next.

How many trucks can you get in 1 run. I'm on 12 at the moment. There is a 23 mm cannon at the rear of the line to discourage a slow approach and it will kill you if you don't get it straight away. Sea Level is the start alt.

• 1 month later...

Adding ground to air stuff I made to see what SAMs get up to and using the Mig-21 as target.

These were used to illustrate other posts.

Edited by Holbeach
Adding videos
  • Like 1

lokodehortaleza.

Thanks for the comment.

Here are the last set of videos I made on the Mig-21 A/G weapon effects and deals with the RN-24/RN-28 nuclear bombs.

Historical delivery methods are used throughout.

These have all been used in previous threads.

The end.

Edited by Holbeach
Adding videos.

• 4 months later...

After a break from DCS, I've updated to 1.5, so it's back on the range to get some practice in and see what the differences are from the previous videos.

Here is the updated Air Weapons Range.

Holbeach AWR Copy .miz

• 2 weeks later...

Trying the 10 kt nuclear bomb on the test range to see if there is anything different after 1.5.2. update and using a standard 45 deg toss delivery method. Survivors are --- Hemmit @ 2.7nm, M818 @ 2.2nm, Paladin @ 1.8 nm, Mortar @ 6nm, Leclerc @ 0.5nm, Abrams @ 0.3nm. M270 @ 2.4nm, Bradley @ 1.4 nm, Marder @ 1.7nm. Tanks seem tougher than they use to be. I'm overflying the target to watch the impact, but an Immelman would be the normal escape method.

Edited by Holbeach
Added some data.

So what do you find are the best parameters to get an average hit using the retarded FAB250 M54 TU?

Speed

Altitude

Target size dial

Point in sight reticule at which to release weapon

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Trying the 10 kt nuclear bomb on the test range to see if there is anything different after 1.5.2. update and using a standard 45 deg toss delivery method. Survivors are --- Hemmit @ 2.7nm, M818 @ 2.2nm, Paladin @ 1.8 nm, Mortar @ 6nm, Leclerc @ 0.5nm, Abrams @ 0.3nm. M270 @ 2.4nm, Bradley @ 1.4 nm, Marder @ 1.7nm. Tanks seem tougher than they use to be. I'm overflying the target to watch the impact, but an Immelman would be the normal escape method.

Was that a new sound for the RN impact? Sounded cool!

So what do you find are the best parameters to get an average hit using the retarded FAB250 M54 TU?

Speed

Altitude

Target size dial

Point in sight reticule at which to release weapon

The type of LL attack seen in the video is best suited to fixed targets, where you know the exact location, but you can go slower. I've used auto sight, but it's not accurate using the center pipper for retarded or CBUs, it will always drop short so i've adjusted the wingspan ring and use the lower part to aim with, you also need to allow for the release time delay. It takes a lot of practice to get decent repeat hits. For better accuracy it would be better to pop up and use a shallow dive.

GL.