New Desktop!

Hey Fellas,

I'm buying a new desktop and I'm currently looking at the follow system with these specifications.

I would like to know if these specifications will be able to run the DCS A-10C comfortable on the highest settings, or close to them and if it would be OK in Multiplayer.

Link to Desktop - http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/desktops/hp-550-022a-pavilion-desktop.html

Thanks guys :-)

INTEL I7 4790 Quad 3.6GHz 16GB RAM GTX 745 HOTAS WARTHOG CESSNA PRO RUDDER PEDALS TRACKIR 5 + PRO CLIP

This PC is overpriced. Building a computer is very easy. Here is a part list that will run every game multiple times faster. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NjwVK8 This will run DCS like nothing you've ever seen. If you want to you can even add a second card for SLI in the future. Please don't buy that HP POS. It is purely overpriced. Even if you are inexperienced with computer building, youtube has tons of great tutorials. Plus it's a lot of fun and very rewarding!

EDIT: If anyone has any suggestions or modifications to the parts list feel free to add them. I am not the most experienced at PC building and I am 100% certain that there are some improvements someone could make.

BTW the graphics card in it is very under powered. I honestly can't believe they get away with selling a computer with those specs for that much. Can anyone tell me how the justify that price tag?

Edited by Drewa

"Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject, so you know you are getting the best possible information."-Michael Scott

System Specs: i5 4570 OC'ed to 3.6GHZ (It was free, what can I say), Gigabyte B85M-DS3H, 8Gb Team Elite Plus, Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming OC'ed to 1600MHZ, 240Gb OCZ Arc 100 SSD, Raidmax Aztec Case, Saitek X55, and GhettoIR.

Agreed don't buy that pc. If you are not confident building your own, although it is really very easy, just watch some you tube how to, then you can get most local pc shops to put the parts you want together for $100 or so. While the above pc, the partpicker one, is top of the line it looks to be in us dollars so would be pushing 3k in Oz where I assume you are if your looking at Harvey Norman. Best online pc stores in Oz I find are pccg, mwave or even kogan(but only for parts). Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need more help or advice.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Hey Fellas,

I'm buying a new desktop and I'm currently looking at the follow system with these specifications.

I would like to know if these specifications will be able to run the DCS A-10C comfortable on the highest settings, or close to them and if it would be OK in Multiplayer.

Link to Desktop - http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/desktops/hp-550-022a-pavilion-desktop.html

Thanks guys :-)

I think that the consensus is pretty much on-point: HP was a really good maker of corporation-style computers a while ago. They have not done so well of late.

If you are not comfortable with building one, then check out some of the smaller custom build shops, to see if they can screw one together for you within your budget.

Websites like GPUBOSS and its affiliated CPUBOSS, give you some great info about the relative strength of these two major components.

Then take a look at generalist websites, like Tom's Hardware and Anandtech, for reviews about all sorts of other PC components for their performance value.

For DCS, it is important to get a CPU with a strong single-core performance coupled with a decent GPU to back it up.

For instance, if the CPU you are looking at is the i7-4790K; it's pretty potent; the GPU, on the other hand, is pretty anemic. Not a particularly good combo.

That info I found on Tom's and GPUBOSS. You can do the same; it's lots of fun, actually...I've built many in my day.

Enjoy the journey!!

Drewa

Yours costs 1.5x times his.

Notice he is in AUS $, you are using US $.

My bad! :doh:

It's still overpriced though.

"Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject, so you know you are getting the best possible information."-Michael Scott

System Specs: i5 4570 OC'ed to 3.6GHZ (It was free, what can I say), Gigabyte B85M-DS3H, 8Gb Team Elite Plus, Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming OC'ed to 1600MHZ, 240Gb OCZ Arc 100 SSD, Raidmax Aztec Case, Saitek X55, and GhettoIR.

This PC is overpriced. Building a computer is very easy. Here is a part list that will run every game multiple times faster. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NjwVK8 This will run DCS like nothing you've ever seen.

HazeltineB, Drewa's suggestion is pretty good, even if a bit more expensive than the one you're looking at.

I tried building one at ~1590 US $ which is approximately the 2200 AUS $ price you were looking at:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7PtJ4D

This will give you a pc almost as powerful as the one Drewa suggested, and quite a bit more silent as well.

And, not to forget, vastly more powerful than the HP you were looking at. ;)

I think you should be able to find something comparable where you live.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I bought it.

I was financing it, and no PC stores that allow you to build a system offers a finance option that I know of in this wonderful country...

It may have been expensive for what it is, but nonetheless it works very well and I a happy with the purchase! (I got it for cheaper too, I use to work there and the guys who I worked with gave it to me for cost price :-D)

Thanks for the responses

Happy FLYING!

INTEL I7 4790 Quad 3.6GHz 16GB RAM GTX 745 HOTAS WARTHOG CESSNA PRO RUDDER PEDALS TRACKIR 5 + PRO CLIP

Oh, and as another member noted. It is in AUD and you will find that products in Australia are drastically increased compared to the US. But, we do get better wages here, so there's no 'real difference'.

I wouldn't exactly say a GTX 745 is anaemic OldGuy.

I'm assuming you only saw where it said 'Intel Graphics'?

Edited by HazeltineB

Oh, and as another member noted. It is in AUD and you will find that products in Australia are drastically increased compared to the US. But, we do get better wages here, so there's no 'real difference'.

I wouldn't exactly say a GTX 745 is anaemic OldGuy.

I'm assuming you only saw where it said 'Intel Graphics'?

I'm sorry to say, but I don't think that graphics card will be able to run even middle settings in DCS.

I looked at comparisons with my old card, a GTX 570, which was able to run at settings around middle/above middle on a 1920x1200 monitor, and my present card, a GTX 670 which is able to run at fairly high settings on same resolution.

Both cards are significantly faster than your GTX 745, 145 % and 245 % respectively.

And this is fairly old cards.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-745-OEM-vs-Nvidia-GTX-570/2638vs3156

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-745-OEM-vs-Nvidia-GTX-670/2638vs2181

I also found this:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/808941/haven-t-made-it-to-work-gtx-745-advices-please-/

So I'm afraid, anaemic is probably the right phrase for that card.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

The fact that you have to open the specification page to find out exactly which GTX is included, should serve as hint that it is a less than stellar card.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

^^^ Bingo...

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

GTX745 is an entry level card. Quite frankly it is a terrible card for DCS.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Well, as I've been testing it today it can run everything on 'High', with the resolutions maxed out and all the other beneficial in game features at max. The only time when I get some lag is when I set Tree's full and select Tree Shadows with 1024 per frame (or whatever is it). Which is practically nothing and no loss to the simulation experience.

The conclusion - I am very happy with how the System operates :thumbup:

• Like 1

Well, as I've been testing it today it can run everything on 'High', with the resolutions maxed out and all the other beneficial in game features at max. The only time when I get some lag is when I set Tree's full and select Tree Shadows with 1024 per frame (or whatever is it). Which is practically nothing and no loss to the simulation experience.

Well colour me surprised, I didn't think it would be up to it. Can you report back when 1.5 is released please.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Guess the satisfaction is somewhat predicated on what you had before

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Well colour me surprised, I didn't think it would be up to it. Can you report back when 1.5 is released please.

A bit surprised here as well.

Hopefully, when 1.5 comes out and the graphics load shifts, somewhat, to the GPU, you will still get good results.

Congrats on the new system.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm joining the surprised cloud here.

But, I would like a report on FPS when you have been in combat with lots of smoke and explosions, and lots of other vehicles/airplanes around. ;)

Sometimes the limits of the card only shows up when you get into more challenging environments.

May I ask what resolution you run your DCS?

And congrats on having it work fine.

System specs:

What are your actual FPS? Curious. Close to the ground and at say 30000ft.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I'm sorry to say, but I don't think that graphics card will be able to run even middle settings in DCS.

I looked at comparisons with my old card, a GTX 570, which was able to run at settings around middle/above middle on a 1920x1200 monitor, and my present card, a GTX 670 which is able to run at fairly high settings on same resolution.

Both cards are significantly faster than your GTX 745, 145 % and 245 % respectively.

And this is fairly old cards.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-745-OEM-vs-Nvidia-GTX-570/2638vs3156

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-745-OEM-vs-Nvidia-GTX-670/2638vs2181

I also found this:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/808941/haven-t-made-it-to-work-gtx-745-advices-please-/

So I'm afraid, anaemic is probably the right phrase for that card.

I have a GTX 645 and have most of my settings high and i get ok performance, And the 745 has 4 x the VRAM

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

One man's "ok" is another man's "unplayable". What is your average FPS if I may ask?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

One man's "ok" is another man's "unplayable". What is your average FPS if I may ask?

You may ask, depending on the circumstances, about 24 to 35. But rockets kill me, any more than 4 or so at a time and it starts to lag.

I attached my settings below.

EDIT: Changed shadows to medium and gained a few FPS :thumbup:

Screen_150828_223306.thumb.jpg.c2a6fa2339b7e87878703121478ac22e.jpg

Edited by kolga

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

Well, here is some of the difference then.

I have FPS around 45-85, depending on what I do.

In FW-190 and Mig-21 I have the lowest FPS, around 28-30 on the ground, which is the lowest I will accept.

Normally I don't get any lag, even with much going on around me.

You should try flying with the frame counter on, and see what it says when your game feels sluggish and lagging.

The most important is to avoid very low FPS, which generally happen when you have the biggest need for fast and accurate action.

I have flown with low FPS which degraded further when I was close to the runway, or if something was going on around me.

But low FPS makes the aircraft behave sluggish, because there is a lag between what you see on the monitor compared to what really happens, and then there is a further lag from your control input until you see a difference on the monitor.

To me it detracts from the feeling of the aircraft.

On top of that I have quite high settings for view distances, because it gives me more immersion when I for instance can see the houses and trees far away from me.

I also like detailed textures.

Finally I like a bit of anti-aliasing to smooth out lines.

All in all it makes me max out the GTX 670 I have, and I could easily use a more powerful one.

I attach here my settings in game.

I have used the High visibility mod to get Ultra High view distance.

Screen_150829_093844.jpg?dl=1

Here a screenshot from my setup:

2015-07-24_00011.jpg?dl=1

Here a view of the landscape:

2015-06-04_00031.jpg?dl=1

Edited by Sporg

System specs: