Plane falls apart when taxiing due to ground wind

Tedi

Hi RAZBAM,

We have found a bug in the M-2000 flight model. If there is a significant ground wind then the plane can jump around, shake and tear itself apart during taxi. This has happened a few times and always when there is a decent ground wind. The conditions we had tonight were:

METAR: UGTB 241500Z 31026KT 9999 SCT066TCU 26/12 Q1011 R31L/CLRD70 NOSIG

We tried to taxi but couldn't get to the runway.

Had this issue a few times and it was rather annoying this evening as we were just preparing for a large squadron training session with about 10 pilots and were going to do some full CAS training with a FAC(A) and LGBs. A long alignment later and we can't get moving without taking off a little prematurely, in my case just outside my HAS.

To repeat it just add a ground wind (say 25 knots) and try and taxi at speeds over 3 or 4 knots. I think it happens when the wind is behind you and when traveling 5-10 knots but I would recommend trying different combinations of speed and relative direction. It's probably something simple in the code as your IAS is technically negative.

My wingman was recording.

[ame]

[/ame]

Thanks,

Tedi

Edited by Tedi
spelling

I just tested and confirm. I had the same a while ago (DCS version 1.5.3 or even earlier not sure) and thought its just a bugged taxiway at Lochini heh but then, I really dont fly the mirage much (altough its kickass!!) and didnt give it much thought.

Tested with winds on and off, as soon as you get the wind from behind, it thinks its a harrier

how come this bug was never described/seen before ?!

Okay I have to say this bug about hits the tops of my favorite to recreate and one of the toughest debug but the most obvious to fix and I've finally got it figured out. I'm almost too embarrassed to admit it was simple typo in wind relative speed when the wind is going along with the aircraft (not against it) thus resulting in a very wonky dynamic pressure calculation cause errant large amounts of forces on all the aero surfaces.

Thanks for the details Tedi, should have a fix for you guys in the next patch.

Thanks Smiley, very quick work! I hoped it would be something simple in the code.