Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

If i use the Su27 Pit for the Su33 the fuelgauge sticks at around half fuel and is not increasing or decreasing. Therefore if you wan't to monitor your fuelstate you have to open the loadoutmenue.

Edit: After far mor testing i notid that only the left gauge works for the half scale. From 6 to 3 you can see the fuellevel but everything above or less is not seeable. Any idea how to fix it?

Edited by Lord_Pyro
  • Like 1

If i use the Su27 Pit for the Su33 the fuelgauge sticks at around half fuel and is not increasing or decreasing. Therefore if you wan't to monitor your fuelstate you have to open the loadoutmenue.

Edit: After far mor testing i notid that only the left gauge works for the half scale. From 6 to 3 you can see the fuellevel but everything above or less is not seeable. Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks for the report - will edit the readme when times comes.

First you have to know that I personally jump very rarely jump into the FC3 planes for own pleasure - I use them almost exclusively to let have my friends/wife a ride at my pit- while it shouldn't be such complicated to make something burn.

So things like this slipped through my attention and I just hoped to be noticed from others about 'bugs' - like you did!

About fixing it:

I wouldn't put high hopes in a Fix - the most part of FC3 is hard coded and buried in dll files - just see the feature to use the Su-27 pit in the Su-33 as a nice gimmick for taking just a spin - and nothing more.

Edited by PeterP

For some reason this mod is not doing it for me.

If I try it in the A-10C the view is centered too high above the HUD, which is a pain because I use deadzones with my TrackIR.

Also, as the head position is further back with this mod, it causes the HUD to be too big for the display. I have to lean right in for it to fill the HUD glass. Have I done something wrong?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

For some reason this mod is not doing it for me.

If I try it in the A-10C the view is centered too high above the HUD, which is a pain because I use deadzones with my TrackIR.

Also, as the head position is further back with this mod, it causes the HUD to be too big for the display. I have to lean right in for it to fill the HUD glass. Have I done something wrong?

Why don't you - simply - read the Readme again, also follow the links in post one, and also read 'some'* of the post's in this thread and set up a new default view position that suits you better? ..and than maybe understand that it's YOU that has to take some action.

Edit:

Boris , don't get me wrong - it's not your fault.

I'm just tired to answer on and on things that are already covered by the read-me and post one and are also talked through on and on again in this thread.

Short: what fits for me doesn't fits for you - other screens, aspect and FOV and RL seat-position...many factors I don't have control over and even don't know - as people just post "don't work" - and they assuming I know what they seeing and sit in front... The Readme gives you already every info to edit/change (almost) every aspect of your view settings - I really don't know how I can make it better without visiting you and show it in person.

*(well, this thread has now ~250 post's - you don't have to read them all - just read mine - and you will understand - as I tend to quote always the question I'm answering - so you get the info in a somewhat compressed way)

I start to understand why ED doesn't put in this 'real- view' by default into DCS - because the consumers still expect that the software can read their mind how they want it to be - and don't want to dig a little deeper and find out how to set it up them self...

I'm very happy with this mod , but I tend to remove this mod- as it bounds too much time (that I don't have ) just to keep things explained.

And > I also think that it's a little disrespectful if you just put out a question in a thread where it is already covered many times - and it's more than obvious that you didn't really spend the time to look for a answer yourself .

-maybe it's just me and I'm just too 'old-school' as I grew up in a time without internet and I had to wait sometimes many weeks for a new comutergames fanzine, with a floppy-disk to fix the most pressing bugs I wanted to be answered/fixed - and some of my reader-letters where answered too (!) .

- so : sorry for that - it's not my intention to harm someone feelings. - just want to let you know that it somewhat hurts mine. and again - sorry: I'm just honest to you.

Edited by PeterP

Hi there PeterP

Just wanted to say how much I appritiate your mods. I cant fly without most of them. This neck mod is one of my favorits along with your checklist kneeboard mod... i love them. I understand it takes alot of time to get everything working, along with privatelife and so. Just want you to know it is very appritiated. Personaly I think your explanations is enough and sometimes instead of getting everything served, the search function, and translate functions and trying is needed.

Thanks for your work.

• Like 1

ASUS P7P55D - i5@3.8 - 8GB RAM - ATI6950 2GB - Logitech G940 - TIR 5

OK - I took a breath outside and got a idea:

@All

IF you know how to rewrite the Read-Me/Documentation to make it better understandable and 'more' complete -

Post it ! - don't only think about 'written words' - produce a video tutorial or whatever , just be creative!

I would really appreciate it and rework Post #1 and the include Readme.

Thanks for having a look and taking the time in advance !

Edited by PeterP

well as I said, or meant, is that I think your instructions are fine. I get the impression that some people download a mod, installs it or whatever, and when it´s not working they go to the last page of the thread and asks their questions. I´ve been in the situation where the mods are not working and often it´s because I didn´t read the instructions properly. And if I read the whole thread, every post, often the answer lies right there. I don´t say this is the case for everyone but I think the human lazynes plays a big role.

Then there is language problems, I´m no native english speaker and many with me, but I have used some translate tools online when I don´t understand and it has worked just fine.

You make instructions with, texts, pictures and videos, what more could we ask.

Bottom line is, I think you do a great work with mods and instructions.

sorry - I just need to 'vent' some little more...

Did you know ?! : (No , you didn't - because I never told it before...)

I already got some 'anonymous' emails that I have messed up their System/installation with my mods... that's the main reason I have personal massages disabled for unknown contacts...

Just to save me form this "It doesn't work! what to do?!! ...and no other info at all" PM's that I got frequently - and in a greater frequent and more 'angrier' every day I didn't answered them immediately.

It always just starts with a "Hi and thanks , but " than it gets a "- you may have missed my previous one.." than it's a " I saw you where on-line, but you didn't answered..."

... and in the end some of them just told me what kind of 'arrogant' person I am - and that they feel sorry for me...

So , ... That's it how it goes...- Back to Topic! (please) ... and sorry for the "drama".

Edited by PeterP

Why don't you - simply - read the Readme again, also follow the links in post one, and also read 'some'* of the post's in this thread and set up a new default view position that suits you better? ..and than maybe understand that it's YOU that has to take some action.

Edit:

Boris , don't get me wrong - it's not your fault.

I'm just tired to answer on and on things that are already covered by the read-me and post one and are also talked through on and on again in this thread.

Short: what fits for me doesn't fits for you - other screens, aspect and FOV and RL seat-position...many factors I don't have control over and even don't know - as people just post "don't work" - and they assuming I know what they seeing and sit in front... The Readme gives you already every info to edit/change (almost) every aspect of your view settings - I really don't know how I can make it better without visiting you and show it in person.

*(well, this thread has now ~250 post's - you don't have to read them all - just read mine - and you will understand - as I tend to quote always the question I'm answering - so you get the info in a somewhat compressed way)

I start to understand why ED doesn't put in this 'real- view' by default into DCS - because the consumers still expect that the software can read their mind how they want it to be - and don't want to dig a little deeper and find out how to set it up them self...

I'm very happy with this mod , but I tend to remove this mod- as it bounds too much time (that I don't have ) just to keep things explained.

And > I also think that it's a little disrespectful if you just put out a question in a thread where it is already covered many times - and it's more than obvious that you didn't really spend the time to look for a answer yourself .

-maybe it's just me and I'm just too 'old-school' as I grew up in a time without internet and I had to wait sometimes many weeks for a new comutergames fanzine, with a floppy-disk to fix the most pressing bugs I wanted to be answered/fixed - and some of my reader-letters where answered too (!) .

- so : sorry for that - it's not my intention to harm someone feelings. - just want to let you know that it somewhat hurts mine. and again - sorry: I'm just honest to you.

Hi Peter,

thanks. Sorry for the bother. I was just asking if I was missing an important aspect. It's ok now. After fiddling around a bit I got a view that works for me.

Thanks for your awesome efforts on making this sim better :thumbup:

• Like 1

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Hi Peter,

thanks. Sorry for the bother. I was just asking if I was missing an important aspect. It's ok now. After fiddling around a bit I got a view that works for me.

Thanks for your awesome efforts on making this sim better :thumbup:

Thanks!

Glad you got it sorted - but How exactly ? which info/post helped ? - I bet others are also interested in it . - and it maybe helps me to make the documentation better.

Edited by PeterP

I bet it is just something like this, only used as 'true'.

CameraAngleRestriction = {false,90.000000,0.500000},

I hope not!

...if you are right:

This would be a very bad 'design-decision' - as your 'view-space' to look behind depends very of your used FOV in DCS right now -

So,I'm looking forward to a lot of "why I can only look 90° to the left?" threads when people are using a wide FOV....

More Explanation:

The Camera angel restriction how it works now doesn't restricts your view relative to the center of your overall used res...

Means: when you have restricted your view to 180° turning on a TH setup and you have the right edge of your right screen reached the at 180° and you have set your FOV to 90° - you cant turn your center-view further as 135° . and the Center screen is pointing to right 135° in relation to the 'front' = 0°

But when you have set you FOV to 45° with the same 180° restriction - your Center view is pointing to 157.5° - instead to 135° - just because you changed your FOV/Zoom... - but whatever you do - you cant just set your view-limits to 180° and expect that your center-view will be pointing also to 180° as it is designed right now.

I hope you get my point/explanation. - if not = please make some test's yourself before asking for more info.

...you shouldn't restrict the view inside DCS as it is working right now - always do it with limiting your Head-tracker range of Track-IR. or the saturation of the Track-Ir axis's in DCS controller axis settings.

I just fear that instead giving the user what he is 'expecting' he will be forced again to learn how to use notepad++ or a different editor just to make something work for him - It's a very bad design - because there is a lack of options settings directly in DCS - ...and just restricting again something because it works good at a 1280x1024 monitor isn't working for others and will lead to a lot of confusion for the "average-joe" once again.

At this occasion I just want others remind again how difficult it is sometimes for them to understand why edges are "stretched" in a in-game render:

Edited by PeterP

• 1 month later...

Achtung!

There are various changes in the new 1.2.5 version regarding the views. - and ED is heading in the right direction.

We have now a new setting in the server.lua:

ShoulderSize = 0.2, -- move body when azimuth value more then 90 degrees
And the camera angle restriction is recalculated when the FOV(Zoom) is changed. (Great!)

We now have (finally) a check-box for enabling the custom snap-views saving inside the options of DCS :).

Well, the Eyepoint position is still untouched and you are turning your virtual Eye around itself more or less in all cockpits.

Overall this are very good news , but I highly recommend to NOT install my mod on 1.2.5 until I found time to make my own tests and make it fully compatible with 1.2.5. -

If you cant wait: make a easy to revert backup by any means and you should have knowledge what you are doing because you are entering Terra incognita.

So long! - you will hear from my soon.

Edited by PeterP

Hello Peter,

Overall this are very good news , but I highly recommend to NOT install my mod on 1.2.5 until I found time to make my own tests and make it fully compatible with 1.2.5. -

If you cant wait: make a easy to revert backup by any means and you should are know what you are doing because you are entering Terra incognita.

Please, oh please, your Mod is very awesome and now with the 1.2.5 your Mod is out of order and it's a real nightmare for me...

Wait & See it's not easy after have tested your amazing Mod...

Thanks in advance for your future work and Mod.

Best regards. Skull

Opps my bad I put the back up files back the same places as before seems ok to me I could be wrong though don't know if this is why the co-pilots flexi sight now has no reticule.

However I now have the yellow onscreen weapons and autopilot info slightly off centre on my centre screen slightly off putting must be something in monitor config I suppose.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

ignore my above post as it appears you can not over write the new views the view for the Huey has been moved and theres a lot more in there so gonna leave it for the master.

My reticule is all fine now its just not there until weapons are in safe mode or live.

But I still have this annoying yellow text of the autopilot and weapons hints off centre.

Peter I am sorry if I have put this in the wrong topic I have worked out from your tutorial on how to move the controls indicator got that right where I want it now, but I can't seem to find anything in the files relating to this yellowish text perhaps you know where I could find it.

System Spec.

Hello dear friends,

As I'm not good for created one Mod and I let PeterP created his amazing Mod because this Mod is very complex and maybe the more hard to created for DCS...

A great thanks in advance for your future Mod Peter, for me this Mod is THE MUST TO HAVE and the best for DCS.

Today it's very hard to fly without this Mod...

Agree with Skulleader...

This mod is THE mod... When you tried it you simply just can´t fly without it.

It´s to bad ED hasn´t done anything with this eyeballspinning in the sim.

Hope you find time make things happen, really miss this.

Edit: New version with working "ShoulderSize" in all true* 3D cockpits !

Try it - and you will be amazed! - No need anymore to make 'funny moves' with the TrackIr to check your six. (Thanks ED!)

*= F15C, A10C, A-10A, Su-27, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, Su-25(A) - ....this new feature can be also switched ON for all other old partially 2D FC3 cockpits by editing the Server.lua - just read on...

Attached you will find the

"Proper Neck for DCS World 1.2.5 - Beta 2.1b"

( 2.1b : I made some changes to the syntax structure , so it is easier to have a overview when doing own customisations - and also edited the Huey Gunner angle-limits to prevent the most impossible view positions)

PS: This mod enables also the Six-Degrees-of Freedom-movement in the old , partial 2D cockpits of FC3.

Don't forget to remap the TrackIR Z axis for the by deafault Non-6DOF cockpits - so you don't change the FOV when you move your head forward. >>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=105515

Preparation: make sure that you don't have the previous mod for 1.2.4 installed. - simply run a DCS-Repair if unsure.

Installation:

1. Copy the Server.lua into C:Users>YOUR USERNAME<Saved GamesDCSConfigView...

(if the folders don't exists you have to create them)

2. Optional

If you have not already your own SnapViews.lua and/or

you are not happy with the default cockpit view (F1) position :

Copy the SnapViews.lua into C:Users>YOUR USERNAME<Saved GamesDCSConfigView...

And/Or go into DCS World>>Options>>Misc. > Check "Enable User Snap-View Saving" and redefine your default cockpit view while the simulation is running.

Notice to all that already used Beta 1.0 and 2.0 and did set up their own snap-views with it:

You don't have to copy over my 'default' SnapViews.lua again - Keep yours!

This attached SnapViews.lua is set up in a way that it will look like this :

DefaultCockpit-Viewpreview_zps359fa215.jpg

You will find the needed key commands how to save a new default cockpit view here:

(Yes - I know how hard it is for some of you to look it up your own in the options ...)

Disable/Pause your Track-IR/Head-tracker while doing it !

"Num/ - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Back

"Num5" Cockpit Camera Move Center

"Num2 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Down

"Num* - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Forward

"Num8 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Up

"Num8" Turn Cockpit Camera Up

"Num2" Turn Cockpit Camera Down

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

"NumEnter" Default FOV aka Zoom

Once you are satisfied , after using above key-commands,

just use following key-command to save this view as default:

"RAlt+Num0" Save current Cockpit view as default for this vehicle

Remarks:

Huey:

You are now free to save a default snap-view in every seat position of the Huey , as they are now independent from each other since 1.2.5.

ShoulderSize = (new since 1.2.5) 0 = OFF , 0.2 = ON

-- move body when azimuth value more then 90 degrees.

Enables you to easily check your six ! This is a very, very nice feature !! - Thank you ED!

Editing and own customisations:

You are still free to change Line #6 to #9 of the Server.lua to your liking if you want different limits and/or a different 'neck dimension' - check my annotations to know the units of a value and what it does.

Use notepad++ or equivalent for editing Lua-Script files! (MS-Notepad isn't suitable to read the syntax properly!)

And make a backup beforehand !!

--/////////////////////////////////////// Global Pilot View parameters 1.2.5 - Start - PeterP ////////////////////////////////

local GlobalEyePoint = {0.16, 0.1, 0.0} -- {front/back , up/down , left/right} <- 'neck dimension' in meters

local GlobalCameraViewAngleLimits = {20,160} -- {min horiz. FOV in °, max horiz. FOV in °} <- aka Zoom

local GlobalCameraAngleLimits = {190,-75,115} -- {Max turning to back, max looking down , max looking up} <- in °

local GlobalShoulderSize_for_MiG29_Su33_Su25T = 0 -- move body when azimuth value more then 90 degrees -- 0 = OFF - set to > GlobalShoulderSize = 0.2 < to turn it ON in the non fully 3D cockpits of FC3. Keep in mind that the 2D seat texture will look strange.

--/////////////////////////////////////// Global Pilot View parameters 1.2.5 - End - PeterP //////////////////////////////////

Use attached "All planes-modules-test 1.2.5.miz" to check the views in each module/cockpit and save a new default cockpit view as required.

If you want to post a info/bug/issue:

Please read post #1 how I need the info ! - as sentence like "works buggy and too big- and/or cant move back" is just a waste of your and my time.- as I need to know the used module/cockpit and so on...Don't expect that I'm able to read your mind or knowing exactly what you are talking about without naming it exactly!

A picture is often more worth than thousand words.

;)

...and don't expect me to answer things that are already explained and reachable via post#1 and/or the forum-search or can be goggled within seconds. ;)

Will edit post#1 and upload it to the user-files if there are more than 100 downloads without serious issue reports and/or I get enough feedback/indication that old functionality of the original 'proper-neck' mod is restored again.

Please Read also this before reporting 'annoyances' >>>>>

For all that are confused why the " edges of the HUD are getting cut off.":

Please make your self familiar how a real collimated HUD works

and/or just follow the links in post#1 - it's been discussed about a dozen times in this thread...or just google it... - and you will soon realizes that this absulute normal and a consequence when you have your (virtual) eyes not turning around them self any-more.

Here is a little test you can do your own and will maybe serve you as 'eye-opener' to get a idea why the things are like they are when you are not turning your eyes around themselves :

26040089.jpg

Form a square with both hands in a arm's-length in front of your head and keep this 'window' static.

Now observe what's happening with things you can see in a distance inside this square when you move your head from left to right .

Now combine this 'newly learned' with the knowledge that a collimated HUD is focused to 'infinity'.

It's also not possible to 'only' smaller the HUD - it has a fixed size bound to a certain FOV it is covering and the HUD is carefully calibrated to the whole cockpit-frame/fuselage. And there is only a small narrow band in which the HUD projection can be fully seen. Changing a parameter of it will de-calibrate it and make your aiming reticles useless and way-points will not be placed where they are.

You will have to move your head towards the HUD to 'smaller' it.

I'm sorry for this 'annoyance' ... welcome to reality!

...So make your self familiar how to save a new default cockpit view (...it's basically done in two steps and within seconds...) - a instruction is posted where you downloaded this mod - sorry - I can't set it up for you - you have to do it your own, as what is usable on a 16:9 display can be awful at a triple head setup and it also highly depends on the used FOV.

(BTW: This has been also discussed about a dozen times in this thread)

About : 'the constraints keep you from creating a perfectly top down view over the side consoles'

This mod uses reduced cockpit movement limits that prevents you to put your virtual Eyes at impossible places - like directly above you knees or between the HUD frame.

This affects also the ability to make a perfectly Top-down snap-view of certain cockpit elements.

BTW - a real pilot will also not have the ability to view this device in such an angle as long he respects the safety regulations and keeps sitting in the seat while flying -instead of 'wandering-around' in the cockpit or even braking his neck and/or pulling out his eyes ...

All above 'restrictions' are made with realism in mind.

If this is something you are not looking for - please don't use this mod and stay with the defaults.

Because there is no way to combine the 'conveniences' of the Default view with the restrictions of this more realistic view setting.

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

Thanks Peter and thank you for the re-worked neck mod.

System Spec.