DCS P-51D QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Hi just got the P51 and DCS world. When creating a mission there seems not to be any WWII hardware like trucks , tanks ...etc. LOL I flew 2 missions that came with the game one was a ground attack of a column of vehicles. I was thinking they are good they are tracking and blasting away at me.when I crashed next to one it looked like a BMP. Another mission they have an AIRWACS I am pretty sure they did not have AIWACS in WWII. = ]. Also the plane seems under powered

In dog fighting with the FW190. I have the throttle to the wall with short bursts of WEP . Its like the FW is jet powered. I try to climb and the P51 stalls and flips over.
ok. Well, the FW 190 is beatable even at excellent. Just takes a lot of practice. I never use WEP. Just 61 inches MP and 3000 RPM which you should be able to maintain for the most of the dogfight as long as you keep your eye on coolant and oil temps. Here's a discussion about it ...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=130012

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, firstly I wanna say hello because i'm new on this forum, and before asking my question I have to say that I haven't read the 59 pages before !

When I'm in flight with the P51 at high altitude >10 000 feet, the carburator's temperature start to be really low : lets say below 0°C. So I turn the "Hot Air Control Lever" to "HOT AIR" but it seem's to have no significant effect on the tempeturature.

I assume that I'm wrong, so how can I warm up my carburator ? :cry:

Cheers !

Good Flight !

It's not necessary to do that. Carb icing is only a problem at lower altitudes at and slightly above 0°C. Furthermore, above 12,000 (IIRC) feet it is prohibited to use hot air.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Hey guys, firstly I wanna say hello because i'm new on this forum, and before asking my question I have to say that I haven't read the 59 pages before !

When I'm in flight with the P51 at high altitude >10 000 feet, the carburator's temperature start to be really low : lets say below 0°C. So I turn the "Hot Air Control Lever" to "HOT AIR" but it seem's to have no significant effect on the tempeturature.

I assume that I'm wrong, so how can I warm up my carburator ? :cry:

Cheers !

Good Flight !

Welcome to the forums! Usually, you would set the Cold Air Control Lever to filter air whenever you turn on HOT AIR. The two levers go hand in hand. Also, I believe you aren't supposed to turn on HOT AIR above 12,000 because it affects engine output.

• 5 weeks later...

comparing P51 or Dora against AI is bullshit.

Fly only against human players Online than you get the reality what DCS programmed and what a human player is able to do with it !

i find the 190 easy meat for my P51. stay fast in the P51 and if fast 190´s there flying with WEP (15-20min!) without overheating until steep climbing which you should not do against a 190. if a Hun is behind you ...let him come close than throttle back and do a hard turn, either he overshoot than change direction stay low level or dive so he early loose your sight in that shit DCS Dotfight World :-). If diving you can pull harder than he but you have to know your limits; if so the 190 cant follow; it looses wing when pulling out of the dive or his rudder becomes stiff so he cant follow either! Or he set flaps and try to scissor or curve than you are quickly in favour with your better flap controlling and much tighter turning rate....mostly after 360° you are behind him and now he is your pray....the P51 can easy stay behind the Hun regardless what maneauvers he will try...his only chance is to flee with MW50 and than go in a loong climb turn which you should not to follow because you cant follow. But if you let this happen you did something wrong before ! ....when he run away most time you can easily give him some hits with the straight cal.50 pattern. Fly both planes only Online but for me it´s so much easier to win a fight against a 190 than vice versa. 190 is a bit faster with MW50 yes and can climb better, but that´s it. above 20000ft without MW50boost it´s a even more helpless brick.

Edited by kubanloewe

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, supercharger kicks in automatically at about 15000-16000 ft.

If you are having trouble climbing at high altitudes, make sure your mixture is set to run and not to emergency-full-rich

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My friend found this:

Which is from, NAA report no. 8679

9MtMdcq.png'and this from F-51H manual

XWgUcsO.jpg

So how is it that we loose our wings at 7.5Gs when only wings loaded? (68% fuel)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Question re Trim adjustment speed.

Hi Guys.

Great product and real fun to fly.

My question is about the speed of response to changes in trim controls. I use 3 potentiometers connected to a Leo Bodnar card for elevator, rudder and aileron trim. This works absolutely fine in FSX with the A2A P51 but the trim wheels respond very slowly in the P51 in DCS.

I use a Force Feedback joystick so can feel when the right level of trim is reached however there is too much lag between making an adjustment and the wheels reaching the new position. Any ideas why this is.

Many thanks

silvergh0st

Question re Trim adjustment speed.

Hi Guys.

Great product and real fun to fly.

My question is about the speed of response to changes in trim controls. I use 3 potentiometers connected to a Leo Bodnar card for elevator, rudder and aileron trim. This works absolutely fine in FSX with the A2A P51 but the trim wheels respond very slowly in the P51 in DCS.

I use a Force Feedback joystick so can feel when the right level of trim is reached however there is too much lag between making an adjustment and the wheels reaching the new position. Any ideas why this is.

Many thanks

silvergh0st

I find the same time lag and I use key presses. The in-cockpit wheel turns, but it takes a long time before I can feel any + or - effect taking place. Then, when the effect is felt, it is a sharp change that does not feel like any trim response I have known before. I also use a FF stick and thought this was just an issue that I had, so I am interested to find that I am not the only one.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 2 weeks later...

After flying P-51D I can only admit that this is very nice warbird and its just pure joy to fly, I greatly appreciate your work YoYo.

Yet my questions arises, I'm just wondering, why is not a higher performance P-51 not considered. I'm talking about higher manifold pressure permitted due to usage of higher octane gasoline (150 Octane).

That would not be really unrealistic, I would rather say that would be quite realistic considering what gasoline was used by 352nd Fighter Wing from the Eighth Air Force.

Just a small question from my side.

Regards

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

After flying P-51D I can only admit that this is very nice warbird and its just pure joy to fly, I greatly appreciate your work YoYo.

Yet my questions arises, I'm just wondering, why is not a higher performance P-51 not considered. I'm talking about higher manifold pressure permitted due to usage of higher octane gasoline (150 Octane).

That would not be really unrealistic, I would rather say that would be quite realistic considering what gasoline was used by 352nd Fighter Wing from the Eighth Air Force.

Just a small question from my side.

Regards

I think when we get bombers (AI or flyable :music_whistling:), we should get a 100/150 Octane P-51.

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

Radiator open good/bad?

Is there a down side to opening the radiator coolant/oil and leaving them open? I've had a lot less over heating since I managed to figure it out.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I searched and didn't find anything, even in the manual I have printed out. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators