Hardware change

bart

Hi guy's

I did a search on this but didn't come up with anything conclusive so thought I'd ask here...............

I remember seeing somewhere that if you do a hardware change you need to disable the aircraft modules before doing it, as it will use up 1 of the modules activation life if you don't? I'm sure there was a list of hardware that if you change it, it will affect the number of activations you have left but I'm darned if I can find it now :book:

I'm upgrading my GPU from two AMD Radeon 6950's (which I can use only one in DCS due to lack of x-fire support) to one 4GB GTX 980.

EDIT............sorry mods, I probably have posted this in the wrong section. Please feel free to move it to the hardware forum.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• ED Team

for info

If StarForce detects changes to your computer hardware/software as described below, an

activation will be required.

An activation will be required if the hardware/software changes exceed 12 points as rated

below:

CPU ID: 13

Windows PID: 3

Computer Name: 3

Hard drive volume serial number: 3

MAC address: 6

RAM amount: 6

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Is disable the same as deactivate. Depending on EDGE's hardware requirements, I may be moving to a new computer. I have no idea what I need to do regarding DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Thanks BIGNEWY, that's the list I remember seeing.....

So no issues with a GPU change then.

Thanks for the help guy's

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I upgraded my RAM from 8 to 16GB, and had to re-activate the MiG-21.

All the other modules were fine though....

which means you lost an activation ?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I would not risk that !

takes 10 minutes to be safe

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hi, "Hard drive volume serial number: 3", that means that I clone my hard disk to a new one (for example a SSD) I don't have any need to deactivate?

Thanks.

Maybe ... but as BitMaster already said, better safe than sorry!

I think, such disk cloning programs do not produce a 100% identical copy - especially the volume serial number (volume label / disk name is something different) is changed deliberately by those utilities because Windows needs it to be different to be able to distinguish between disks.

Maybe ... but as BitMaster already said, better safe than sorry!

I think, such disk cloning programs do not produce a 100% identical copy - especially the volume serial number (volume label / disk name is something different) is changed deliberately by those utilities because Windows needs it to be different to be able to distinguish between disks.

Ok, thanks for your advice. Better safe by deactivating all my modules previously.

Will making a change to cpu setting in BOOT (changing # of CPU's shown using MSCONFIG force a activation. I did that other day to see if i can get performace boost an today when i logged in game won't verify said key for 2 modules an evertime I login to MP from desktop it keeps doing it. Went into VA server i can get in my Mig21. Not sure whats goin on here.

Yes.

And I'm going to loose another one, as my motherboard died last week, so I was forced to build a new PC (or at least a new mobo + cpu)...

A new CPU would cause you to loose an activation whether you deactivated or not. A CPU is 13 points.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I upgraded my RAM from 8 to 16GB, and had to re-activate the MiG-21.

All the other modules were fine though....

Same with me. From 8 to 16 and reactivation of Mig21.

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

Do you spend one activation? My problem is when I hesitate to deactivate or nor. Since there was no previous deactivation the only solution is to use a activation, isn't it? Maybe you can uninstall the new module, deactivate, install the new module and reactivate.

• 1 month later...

I was unaware of the activation / reactivation cost. I am glad I read this thread considering that I am planing on a CPU and GPU upgrade. I also want to switch from steam to the stand alone client, will the switch of clients cost me activation points?

Edited by Video

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

I have uppgraded my Motherboard, Ram and CPU and now i cant do anything, the program crash if i try to activete or disabel it.

do to hardware changes, i have no ide how to fix or reset it?

it only say "Unable to deactivate the product license due to significant changes of the computer hardware configuration. Only valid licenses can be deactivated.

To obtain an error report and send it to product technical support, click the corresponding button"

when i try to activate or diactivate.

Sorry for my bad english!