Don't forget the hook

SUBS17

• 7 months later...

Only problem with that: The F-15E is not CATOBAR compatible. It has no launch bar, and the hook would probably have to be undeployed by the ground crew. It is also designed for lower tension cables, and the landing gear are not designed to carrier specs, so there is a good chance of structural damage or tip over when landing on a carrier. The launch ramp on the Kuznetsov should work just fine though.

edit: another thread on the topic: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104945

Edited by VincentLaw
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The arrester hook is not for carrier landings its for emergency landings on solid land runways in a attempt to save an expensive aircraft. In the event of carrier landings there is a protocol to prepare for broken landing gear usually an eject is done over the sea if possible. It has been done but once on a carrier the aircraft is stored until at port they won't cat launch it. They will transport the F-15 off the carrier by craine. It's taken apart and a shipper request is done if needed or if the fix is simple it's flown to a AFB. It's recycled and its fixed again and tested the process is expensive. They usually will just dump the aircraft it's to risky and expensive to land on a carrier.

Edited by LexiconG2
  • Like 2

Dell XPS 8500 Modified

700 Watt PSU

Windows 8 Pro MCE

Intel I7 3770 3.8 GHZ TR (stock)

16GB DDR 3 PC12800

Gigabyte 760 OC 2.0GB

2x 2TB HD

• 1 year later...

Yeah it's a bit pointless to model, unless arresting cables are modeled on land airbases. That is what those things are for. Almost all, well at least most fighter aircraft has an arrestor hook, even thuogh they are no where near carrier capable. Even F-104 has one, can you imagine it having anything to do with carriers with it's super high landing speed and those tiny stubby wings? :) Most F-16 has it too, but would most likely get seriously damaged if it tries to land on a carrier.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

it boggles my mind how many people assume because an Air Force jet has a Tail Hook that it's "Carrier Capable".

The Hook is used to land on shorter runways or in the event of a failure in the gear system,

ie,

They can Land with no Brakes and use the Hook to slow the aircraft,

They can belly land with no gear and use the tail hook to catch emergency cable to stop the aircraft.

The F-15s, F-16s, F-100s or any Air Force jet for that matter doesn't have the landing gear strength to survive carrier landings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

While it's not common knowledge, there should be enough knowledge that a person should understand what makes an aircraft a USAF or USN. The biggest difference isn't tail hooks. It's folding wings. However, I digress and will say that the F-15C's or any USAF aircraft equipped with a tail hook is not meant for carrier landings and that we shouldn't be looking for arresting cables to catch on a carrier deck, but on a runway for future updates ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
it boggles my mind how many people assume because an Air Force jet has a Tail Hook that it's "Carrier Capable".

The Hook is used to land on shorter runways or in the event of a failure in the gear system,

ie,

They can belly land with no gear and use the tail hook to catch emergency cable to stop the aircraft.

The F-15s, F-16s, F-100s or any Air Force jet for that matter doesn't have the landing gear strength to survive carrier landings.

If I remember correctly, the RNZAF had incident with a TA-4K where the pilot ripped off one of the landing gear on a touch and go. Ended up doing an arrested landing on drop tanks. In the backseat was a ground crew going for a joyrid who couldn't get out of the aircraft fast enough.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

and this...

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

While this is true, I believe that the F-4 was built as a navy airplane, and the air force took it. So, wouldn't that mean that it's gear could take the stress, as that is what it was built for (aside from the tires of course)

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

While this is true, I believe that the F-4 was built as a navy airplane, and the air force took it. So, wouldn't that mean that it's gear could take the stress, as that is what it was built for (aside from the tires of course)

I believe the USAF variants of the F-4 lacked the stronger/heavier landing gear of the Navy/Marine variants. I think the only USAF aircraft that were "carrier capable" were some of the A-1s and later A-7s that the USAF picked up second hand from the USN.

• 6 years later...
On 9/17/2014 at 1:11 PM, USSInchon said:

I believe the USAF variants of the F-4 lacked the stronger/heavier landing gear of the Navy/Marine variants. I think the only USAF aircraft that were "carrier capable" were some of the A-1s and later A-7s that the USAF picked up second hand from the USN.

Not only that, but in relation to Air Force spec F-4 aircraft, (I’m going by the RAF aircraft in this case) although they do have the hook which was still stressed to Naval specs, they could not land aboard a carrier in an emergency due to the tyre pressures being too low. It would stuff the gear and likely severely foul the deck. Naval tyres are typically at a higher pressure than their land based counterparts. Aircraft like the F-15 could not survive a Naval wire trap as the retardation is too severe, and the hook attachment points are not stressed for VERY short/rapid wire stops. Naval aircraft tend to stop in a couple hundred feet on the wire, land based hook engagements the wire spools out to over 1000 feet, the deceleration being not as dramatic as a Naval “arrival”. RAF F-4 also lacked the strop attachment points for the catapult, these being faired over.

Edited by garyscott

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

8 hours ago, Riojano said:

If can land and takeoff from a carrier, its "carrier capable", Viggen and jeff are great at this.

Haha, only in video games...

• Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 9/1/2014 at 6:10 PM, SkateZilla said:

ie,

THANK YOU! 

The F-15E (or C variant) is NOT carrier compatible in any way, whatsoever; no carrier landings, and no carrier takeoffs. 

• Like 1

Well, the Viggen could probably land on a carrier the same way a C-130 can. 🙂 It just needs a patch of flat, hardened surface of about 300m in length, and the carrier has that. Any aircraft with a landing run of less than the carrier's full length is theoretically capable of landing on it, though it would be a harrowing experience and not really a safe thing to do. However, that kind of STOL performance is rare in jets.

16 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Well, the Viggen could probably land on a carrier the same way a C-130 can. 🙂 It just needs a patch of flat, hardened surface of about 300m in length, and the carrier has that. Any aircraft with a landing run of less than the carrier's full length is theoretically capable of landing on it, though it would be a harrowing experience and not really a safe thing to do. However, that kind of STOL performance is rare in jets.

You mean like the U-2? 😄

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg