Aries Radio System

towsim

Up to now it runs with the latest version and even with the older versions. But I would wait on the version 2.0. It will be published soon. V2.0 contains a lot of features to make the radio com as realistic as possible in regard to frequency band, range, terrain profile, altitude, emission power and type dependent background noise. It even can be used in non windowed mode and the radio panel, ILS, TACAN and IFF/SIF can be moved to an external computer in the LAN.

Regards

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The attachment contains a computer generated list of all NDB and VOR navigational aids supported by DCS. All fixes will appear at the given location in the navigational chart prepared for the GCI system. Marker beacons are not included because they are used mainly for ILS and have a limited power output.

The document is mainly for the support of helicopter jockeys.

NavigationalAids.pdf

Edited by towsim
Upgrade of the attachment

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As promised before, the topographical map for the DCS simulation area is done in version 1.0. It includes all supported aerodromes and navigational aids as well. Al fixes are listed in the document I posted before. Since all the Nav Aids are computer generated from beacons.lua, I had no possibility to check the consistency. The only check I did, was to place a self made NDB at Sochi aerodrome and made a successful bearing with the AN/ARN-83 in a UH1. So I can say, the beacons.lua has a valid content. The other potential error source is the translation from Cyrillic to western character set. It may be, that the Morse code in the labels do not match to the audible Morse code if the beacon frequency is tuned in. Therefore it would be helpful to report any experienced mismatch to my support e-mail address:

support@ariescon.com

I will incorporate the report immediately. The map can be downloaded free from:

http://www.ariescon.com/DCSnav.jpg

The map has a size of 22.5 Mb and the resolution is 16384 x 9474.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yesterday, I did some additional tests to verify the beacon list. The beacon I used was Lazarevskoe (LA) on 307 kHz. The received Morse code was that for LA. The positive surprise was that, what I found. Eagle Dynamics modeled a NDB antenna exact at the beacon's location. I really love these details. To motivate other users to check out the beacons, I supplemented the beacons list with a description of the procedure, how to use the AN/ARN-83 as navigational device. The new document can be downloaded as http://www.ariescon.com/NavigationalAids.pdf.

But there is still a missing color in my rainbow. As you can see in the example for a cross bearing I used in the document, the two beacons used are in a distance where you would never receive a signal in the real world. Especially the second beacon known as Beslan inner Marker is a low power NDB used for marker locations. This shows, that Eagle Dynamics did not limit the beacon reception range. This is a disadvantage while tuning to a selected beacon, because all frequencies are received at all positions in the simulation area. To find the right beacon on the right frequency is sometimes impossible. But nevertheless, have fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Problems with TeamSpeak

The new TeamSpeak version includes some significant changes with version 3.0.14. What I noticed is, that the client SDK was deleted from the package and the new version does not accept the AriesRadio.dll anymore. Since I cannot adjust the software without a valid SDK , I recommend not to upgrade to TeamSpeak version 3.0.14, if Aries Radio shall be used.

Sorry, I am looking for a solution...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found a solution. Tomorrow night we will test the version with the 10th Gunfighters. If no issues come up then I will publish an intermediate upgrade as version 1.9 on Tuesday. Version 1.9 can only be used with the latest TeamSpeak version 3.0.14.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The attachment contains three files necessary to run Aries Radio together with TeamSpeak 3.0.14. It does not run with earlier versions of TeamSpeak.

Proceeding

1. Update TeamSpeak to version 3.0.14.

2. Exit TeamSpeak .

3. Copy AriesRadio.dll to C:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\plugins

4. Copy AriesRadio.luac to \DCS World\AriesWings

5. Copy AriesAirborneRadio.dll to \DCS World\AriesWings

Version 1.9 is an intermediate release which is not tested extensively. If you experience errors, please report it to support@ariescon.com.

Aries19.zip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got the same information from the Italian wing AVMI. Now I think, I have to accept that there is a bug. The thing is, I cannot produce the situation. All tests I did worked perfect. Could you please check, that the radios are powered and switched on correctly? There is a known bug, if you are in a cold and dark cockpit. In this situation there is not frequency filter active.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It worked for me in version 1.234. I turned off all radios and I could still hear everyone while they could only hear me if I was transmitting on their frequency. Inbound radio traffic is the only problem.

Maybe this has something to do with it: When I joined the server (paused) as a spectator I got this standard radio panel. When I joined a Ka-50 slot it was still there. As the mission was unpaused the radio panel changed from default to the Ka-50 version (R800 + R828 ).

Another thing: The hide/unhide function is not working for me, no matter the key combo I use.

I really do appreciate your work though. Looking forward to version 2!

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

The radio panel you see when you are in the spectator mode is normal. DCS does not send a specific signal when starting a multiplayer mission. In the spectator view, a signal is received, which is used as mission start in single player mode. The consequence is, that Aries Radio assumes a CA vehicle being active because the mission was obviously started but no position reports are received. At the moment, when the server really starts, the position reports for a real aircraft are received and Aries Radio changes to the right model. This is confusing, but the only method to pass the startup sequence. This afternoon we will do an additional test session with the new information received. I will post the results as soon as possible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed Aries and it seems to work.

But now DCS crashes every time I end a mission. If I delete the export file in the Scripts folder everything is fine. With the export file present in the folder the game crashes every time I end a mission.

BTW I'm using the Aries export file, didn't have one before.

I am working hard on that. We noticed yesterday the crashes in multiplayer configurations. It does not appear in single player mode. As soon as I locate the bug, I will post a new intermediate version to be used until version 2.0 is released.

BTW:

We found out, that User Account Control (UAC) prevents inter process communication, which is used extensively in Aries Radio. We recommend to switch UAC to the lowest level if possible. Otherwise some features of Aries Radio will not work. The new version 2.0 will compensate this issue so that it works with all UAC levels.

Regards

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 weeks later...
I am working hard on that. We noticed yesterday the crashes in multiplayer configurations. It does not appear in single player mode. As soon as I locate the bug, I will post a new intermediate version to be used until version 2.0 is released.

BTW:

We found out, that User Account Control (UAC) prevents inter process communication, which is used extensively in Aries Radio. We recommend to switch UAC to the lowest level if possible. Otherwise some features of Aries Radio will not work. The new version 2.0 will compensate this issue so that it works with all UAC levels.

Regards

Mike

Hi,

congratulations for your great work. I'm testing ARIES and I experienced too the same crashes in MP. Any news about that?

Thank's

Here are some recordings of today's test session. If everything goes according to our plan, we can publish the new version in the next few days. (The audio quality is adjustable from "clean" to "realistic" if someone wants to fly without background noise.)

http://www.10thgunfighters.ch/Geschwader/Radio/Recording_Test.zip

BTW:

The "multiplayer logout crash" has been fixed.

Edited by Schleudi

Nice to hear that. In my squadron we scheduled several MP testing sessions this week with different modules. It could be nice to try the new version !!

BTW, I had problems setting the channel frequency in preset mode into the A10C radios. For the VHF AM and FM radios, channels 1 and 2 always share the same frequency in preset mode, the last one loaded into one of them. For instance, if I put first a frequency in channel 1, and then in channel 2, channel 1 has the same frequency as channel 2. If I put the frequencies in reverse order, that is, first channel 2 and then channel 1, both have the frequency of channel 1. UHF radio works fine.

Edited by astiles5470

@astiles5470

I just tested the channel setting on both VHF boxes and found no error. For confirmation:

VHF preset settings are done in manual mode (left rotary switch set to MAN) while UHF preset settings are done in preset mode (right rotary switch set to PRESET). The UHF Box has another unexplainable bug. After the frequency is loaded into a channel, you need to move the channel selector at least once to another channel. Otherwise the frequency is not effective in preset mode.

To control the channel setting of a box, set the Box to preset mode and do a left click in the Frequency field of the Aries Radio Panel. The raw frequency of the channel will be visible.

During my tests with the DCS World version I noticed, that the VHF Boxes do not accept manual frequency settings with a mouse anymore. The buttons on the VHF FM Box move but the frequency digits do not change. This is not observed in the Open Beta version. It would be interesting if anybody else observes the same bug.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]