A-10 Profiles

JughedJones

Hey everyone,

Very new to DCS and I broke down and bought the A-10. I'm extremely happy and having fun, but I'm not sure what profiles everyone thinks is 'best.'

I have an X-52 and trackir, I've done a number of Google searches and there's so many different variants. I want to make sure that I'm using one that is considered efficient and has everything I need before I start really committing the setup to muscle memory.

Is there a consensus on which one is 'best?'

Thanks a lot.

Probably each person has his best, that is why I always make my own. But you can start with one profile, try it, and modify to your likings. E.g. if you normally use trim or flaps in some place for other planes, you better leave it there for the A-10C too or think of modifying all the profiles to match. Building your perfect profile has a lot of trial and modification involved.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can try my profile. I'm a Business Intelligence Architect so I have a deep understanding of user interface and interaction. I did a pretty thorough analysis to come to a conclusion on this profile. Hope it can at least be a good foundation for you:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=59208

newx52a10cwarthog.jpg

• Like 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Set slider to bands. Set 0-10% to output the keystroke to zoom out. Set 90-100% to zoom in. This way you avoid the issues of spiking in the pot. Need another button for reset FOV to default as well.

Make sure the profile is loaded ie. active.

• Like 1

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Set slider to bands. Set 0-10% to output the keystroke to zoom out. Set 90-100% to zoom in. This way you avoid the issues of spiking in the pot. Need another button for reset FOV to default as well.

Make sure the profile is loaded ie. active.

I'm pretty sure that's what's already happening. I'll report back when I get home.

Thanks, bud.

JughedJones.. my X52 profile is pretty old.. from beta if I'm not mistaken.. so a lot of the questions you may have (including slider) will be answered in the thread. Use the 'Search This Thread' tool at the top of the thread pane.. super useful.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

JughedJones.. my X52 profile is pretty old.. from beta if I'm not mistaken.. so a lot of the questions you may have (including slider) will be answered in the thread. Use the 'Search This Thread' tool at the top of the thread pane.. super useful.

Thanks very much, I got it sorted out this morning. Turns out, I had my trackir z axis mapped to zoom. All I needed to to was swap that out with 'Absolute longitudinal shift' and I was golden.

Everything is working perfectly, now all I need to do is learn how to fly this damn thing!

Thanks so much for your help!

Another question:

In my profile, when I use the pinkie switch it acts as a toggle. This makes it very confusing to remember which state it's in, and I can imagine it could lead to some potentially catastrophic consequences in the middle of some serious action!

Is there a way that I can turn the toggle mode off so I can hold it down instead? I'm sure there is a very easy option that I'm just not seeing.

Thanks!

I don't even use the Saitek profiler shift state. I use a DCS modifier as my shift state with the throttle clutch button as my modifier. This has the benefit of allowing me to use purely joy button bindings rather than key stroke bindings which makes it easier to remap the entire keyboard for the purpose of CDU/UFC utility. It also means I get to use my pinkie button identically to how its used in the real aircraft.

I probably only have about a half dozen actual keys bound to my saitek profile such as where I use bands to output keystrokes on the mouse nub, the slider, and the scroll wheel.

I think overall thats a better strategy than using the profile itself.

Actually in the Saitek profiler you can define any button as modifier. But pinky is the only one that has the ergonomy to be pressed at the same time than any other control.

What I don't really find that useful is the Mode 3-state. In some simulators I tried to use it as NAV, AA and AG modes, but I kept forgetting to swap, so I left the experiment pretty quickly. In the A-10C, I have the boat switch mapped there, which is also a three state switch. Much more useful like that.

The Saitek profiler also has good things, like the possibility of defining zones in the axes to do different things. In the case of the ministick, DCS didn't recognize it as axes to be mapped as the slew hat, so I had to do just that. In my experience, with all these years using this HOTAS, I have found it to be pretty powerful and always managed to do what I intended.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just ran across this thread and I also have just bought the a-10c module and have downloaded iron's profile for my x-52 (non pro) I have not tried the profile yet and hope to have time to try it soon(real life stuff). I have already seen some changes I want to make to the profile but have never messed with .lua files and x-52 profiles together I have always made my own x-52 profiles with the SST editor so I don't quite know how to change bindings in the .lua files that came with irons profile is there anyone or anywhere I can look ,kind of a tutorial or something to show me how to change key bindings in a profile like irons x-52 profile?:unsure:

I find that with the A-10C you don't need more than a handful of shift state items. You don't use enough things off of the HOTAS controls often enough to really justify it and it takes forever to remember those bindings if you don' t use them constantly.

What I find far more useful is freeing up the keyboard as a CDU and using the numpad as a UFC. With the saitek profiler you have to use keystrokes to take advantage of shift states which makes rebinding things laborious. If you want to change a key bind you have to rebind it, then rebind the profiler as well. With just pure joy button output you rebind the joy button and leave it at that.

The Saitek profiler is very powerful for sure but I also think its not really needed for DCS, not with the A-10C. Like I said its only useful to me for turning the mouse nub, the slider, and the scroll wheel into things that can output key strokes. Beyond that I don't have a need really to shift every key on the stick and throttle and so the DCS shift state is perfectly usable. I'd just as soon press a key on my keyboard, which is now very easy because I don't have my joystick bound to keystrokes anymore and so the keyboard is like a whole extra peripheral now available to bind to things you rarely use. Reach with my left hand just like you would for a switch in the real aircraft.

The other thing is I don't like using a shift button on my stick because it disturbs my control of the aircraft, which matters to me because I don't fly on autopilot like most people. :music_whistling:

I find that with the A-10C you don't need more than a handful of shift state items. You don't use enough things off of the HOTAS controls often enough to really justify it and it takes forever to remember those bindings if you don' t use them constantly.

What I find far more useful is freeing up the keyboard as a CDU and using the numpad as a UFC. With the saitek profiler you have to use keystrokes to take advantage of shift states which makes rebinding things laborious. If you want to change a key bind you have to rebind it, then rebind the profiler as well. With just pure joy button output you rebind the joy button and leave it at that.

The Saitek profiler is very powerful for sure but I also think its not really needed for DCS, not with the A-10C. Like I said its only useful to me for turning the mouse nub, the slider, and the scroll wheel into things that can output key strokes. Beyond that I don't have a need really to shift every key on the stick and throttle and so the DCS shift state is perfectly usable. I'd just as soon press a key on my keyboard, which is now very easy because I don't have my joystick bound to keystrokes anymore and so the keyboard is like a whole extra peripheral now available to bind to things you rarely use. Reach with my left hand just like you would for a switch in the real aircraft.

The other thing is I don't like using a shift button on my stick because it disturbs my control of the aircraft, which matters to me because I don't fly on autopilot like most people. :music_whistling:

thanks for the reply pfunk.thats the way iron's profile is already most of the bindings are done in DCS only some of the axis bindings are done in SST (slider,mouse control,etc)I guess what I was asking was how do you bind the joy buttons in DCS if you want to change the joy button to some other binding?

Got it figured out.i don't know why I was so afraid to screw something up hell it was easy to bind keys in DCS options I think I will do all my aircraft this way.

Edited by steve65