Bad habits

N1tch

greedy gun run

Getting too greedy for kills on the ground in one single gun run I very often end up with the ants :joystick: :doh:

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

• 2 weeks later...
Why are you even using ground power?

Why wouldn't WE? :smilewink:

Sometimes if I start a mission while waiting for friends, I use Ground Power so I don't have to listen to the APU noise while preflighting. I also use it if I land and plan to take a break but want the AI portion of the map to continue. Keeps the Avionics warmed up and ready to go.

NOW that being said, its hard to build GOOD habit patterns when you cant look outside the plane and see the chief plugged in looking up at you waiting to be cleared off...

Next update maybe?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I use ground power under the same circumstances. Sure makes for a quicker turnaround during refuel/rearm.

My startup begins with:

- Request Ground Power

- Radio Power

- Ejection Seat Arm

- Lights

- CDU and EGI power to get alignment started

There used to be a bug where if you didn't request ground power disconnect, it was persistent in the air if your engines went out. Not sure if this still exists as I always ask for disconnect.. the crewchief yelling at me always makes me cringe heheh.

It would be a riot if when you forgot to ask for disconnect you could hear the GPU (or cable if it breaks) banging up against the side of the aircraft during takeoff. Better yet, have the Crew Chief (model Snoopy in?) riding it like a bull (like Tex riding the nuke in Dr. Strangelove) shaking his fist and silently but emphatically cussing you.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I use ground power under the same circumstances. Sure makes for a quicker turnaround during refuel/rearm.

Why shutdown to refuel/rearm?

It would be a riot if when you forgot to ask for disconnect you could hear the GPU (or cable if it breaks) banging up against the side of the aircraft during takeoff. Better yet, have the Crew Chief (model Snoopy in?) riding it like a bull (like Tex riding the nuke in Dr. Strangelove) shaking his fist and silently but emphatically cussing you.

1. We don't use ground power ever for a launch

2. Where we hook up ground power (for maintenance only) you wouldn't be able to taxi the jet because you would run into the generator since it's parked in front of the aircraft.

I meant refuel/rearm/repair. Well Snoopy, now that you've proven it unrealistic we'll never see you modeled into the game riding a GPU down the runway! :)

Edited by StrongHarm

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

In multiplayer, Finishing the startup and then realizing I forgot to have any weapons loaded. Doh!

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I have some bad habits as well, i don't like to use ground power, but after the fuel gauges, the ox and the both lights check, i turn on APU and then EVERY system before the APU actually produce power, but really everything (except engine start crank and EPLRS) from navigation to CMS to lights, taxi lights...

Not sure if someone can answer me about that, but i think that the real aircraft will not like that suddenly overrequest of power, or is it okay ?

Anyway by doing this rather than the problematic ground power, i can even with a standard ground alignment save a lot of time for the startup ! And don't broke another ground power unit :D

Another bad habit, forget to load weapon before starting my aircraft and load MFDS (i'm always mind blocked and focussed on using the intercom once engine are running) and need to reload DSMS from the load page if i want to use my weapons...

Since i have not done real (i mean serious, not irl of course) combat mission since a while, i have loose a lot of things, i loose a lot of important reflex, like drop some flares/chaff, i loose situation awareness a lot, i always forget to turn off the damn nav lights in hostile area, always take extreme measure when i get a launch.

Ho and i always load a LOT of weapons, seriously i'm always way over the maximum take off weight, full of fuel and bombs/MAV and in fact i find the take off more stable cause the aircraft is less responsive, so i get more precision, but yeah if i get any emergency i'm probably dead...

IDK if it can be considering as a bad habit, but i love dropping JDAM from high as i can get, often around 25000 feets, depending if i can go that high (too heavy to reach) or over it (some fuel consumed and some bombs dropped) the bomb need more than a minute to fall from that high, seriously you can probably walk away while finishing your coffee and still get at a safe distance from that bomb the time she fall :lol:

I also get MAV probably always align too soon, and my TGP is probably so hot (always ON) i wonder how it not turn into a fireball by itself ^^'

And the China hat...Seriously the day i won't mistake the 4 commands and reset my sensors rather than just making a zoom, i'll be so happy !

Ho and just for the style effect, i always like to land doing a huge flare once main gear have touch down, like we see often with the F-15 and F-16...And then ran out of runway :D

And my two worst, every aircraft mixed, is using my two others screens (3 screens but i only run one for games) for various things, including writing on Skype, looking things on the web, including video, so sometimes i made some...small mistakes...

And forgetting my key binding, for the A10C its okay even if their is some useful keyboards combination i don't remember, but in the others aircrafts...I don't even remember where is my NWS or my trim reset on most FC3 aircrafts :D

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

My worst most annoying habit is forgetting that once in game chat, with TIR view swimming, my mouse clicks can pull Fire handles XD

Second worst habit is taking over max takeoff weight in payload while running on runway diagonally to have these extra few meters for my overfed big ;)

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

My worst habit is reading the forums, looking at all the new post. I read so much about what everyone else is doing that I have no time to do any flying.

Need to quit reading and start flying( the youtube vids get me the most).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] CPIAS FOR Saitek:

Saitek Flight instrument panels and X-52 pro mfd scripts for Dcs

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94174

Now that particular habit does sound strangely familiar... :music_whistling: :D

Sometimes it's all you can do, between work and other obligations. At least you can read forums and news at work, depending. It would be hard to explain my CH HOTAS hooked up to work computers, however.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

My worst habit is reading the forums, looking at all the new post. I read so much about what everyone else is doing that I have no time to do any flying.

Need to quit reading and start flying( the youtube vids get me the most).

You are not alone! But I dont really consider that a bad habit, though it does inhibit flight time, but its valuable info in the overall skeme of things. imagine that you stayed off the forums for 2 months,,, you would be kinda lost with update info and new bug issues,,, grrrrr

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

And, as has been pointed out elsewhere, a lot of flight time can be counter-productive if you're just using it to reinforce other bad habits and tactics. A line or two of valuable dope on the forums can be great to make you realize you've been doing something wrong, so next time, you won't make that mistake.

It's been especially helpful for me regarding BVR tactics in the F-15C, and ATG with the P-51. So, I don't think compulsively reading the forum is a bad habit. There's a lot of great knowledge here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

And, as has been pointed out elsewhere, a lot of flight time can be counter-productive if you're just using it to reinforce other bad habits and tactics. A line or two of valuable dope on the forums can be great to make you realize you've been doing something wrong, so next time, you won't make that mistake.

It's been especially helpful for me regarding BVR tactics in the F-15C, and ATG with the P-51. So, I don't think compulsively reading the forum is a bad habit. There's a lot of great knowledge here.

Very true, just when you think you know everything, you read something and then you realize you don't know very much at all, hehe.:thumbup: