Bad habits

N1tch

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but not so new to flying the A10c. That said I'm probably relatively new compared to many of you I'm sure.

I'm certain that I've got lazy in my start up procedure and especially bad to the ground crew as I always forget to tell them to turn off the ground power before taxiing away.

This got me wondering, what bad habits do you have in the A10?

I'm hoping people sharing might help stop me from developing other bad habits in the future!

Thanks

N1tch

I was told that you can shave around 20-30 seconds off the start-up procedure if you're using ground power. In theory you can align your CDU/EGI as soon as the battery and ground power is on before your APU has got to 100% to turn over the engine (which you'd need to align normally).

The alignment takes the most amount of time so, yeh that basically the reason.

You can shave off 2 minutes by not doing a ground alignment. It's knowing how to scramble your aircraft - it's up to you whether you want to that though :)

I was told that you can shave around 20-30 seconds off the start-up procedure if you're using ground power. In theory you can align your CDU/EGI as soon as the battery and ground power is on before your APU has got to 100% to turn over the engine (which you'd need to align normally).

The alignment takes the most amount of time so, yeh that basically the reason.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You can shave off 2 minutes by not doing a ground alignment. It's knowing how to scramble your aircraft - it's up to you whether you want to that though :)

I actually didn't realise you could take off without a ground alignment (or that it was safe to do so). So ignoring the test what could happen if I don't do an alignment?

You can't use GPS-aided weapons and EGI. In order to get that going you need to do an in-flight alignment which requires steady flight for 10 min or so.

You can still use other weapons.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

#1 Bad habit, leaving the APU on the entire flight.

#2 Bad habit, when shutting down engines for repair, forgetting to turn on APU to keep power to the CDU

#3 Bad habit, getting cocky and going in for gun runs on the 104th server, then getting a manpad up my bum

Texting while taxiing.......I know, I know...that's how accidents happen.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

In no particular order:

In MP, forgetting to sync the altimeter with my Wingmen (doesn't matter if it's QFE or QNH, but when everybody's got another setting, it doesn't help).

In MP, forgetting to set OWN ID.

Like ff4life4, going in with guns even though I know it's a bad idea. :lol:

Flying too much heads down, getting target fixated.

BTW N1tch, you should add *** STREAMING *** to your name is TS so that others are aware that you are streaming to twitch or whatever.

Yes I saw Schnarre doing that the other day. I'm going to from now on. Stops me having to warn people as they enter also.

These are great bad habits you're all sharing. Thanks!

Gun run and target fixation I know has happened to me on many times!

Actually another one is on the 104th being over the next target area (accidentally) as it triggers in the mountains and having a Tor engage me almost immediately. That's a pretty bad habit I've managed to avoid the last few missions.

One of the bad habbits that i have is to overspeed while taxiing, i just cant wait to reach to the runway!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Used to have this bad habit of forgetting the inverter switches on the startup..... So when I shut down the APU.... Kzt !! Everything goes dark.

Had to train myself back to basics for a solid four hours before I kicked the habit.

Forgetting the APU, is still switched on... Happens on the Ka-50 too.

my bad habit is that i forget airspeed and attitude while adjusting waypoints in the CDU or searching targets with TGP ....thats the "only" Problem when using Snapviews :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

1- previously, chasing the boom.

2- presently, forgetting GPU disc. before taxiing.

3- forgetting to turn off lights on ingress (no fence in checks).

4- anchoring wingman while I do all the work and get shot at.

5- shooting wingman by accident.

6- forgetting to turn on APU in very high altitude powered dives, to breakaway with zero power and SAS/ EAC off..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

1. Leaving master arm switch on all the time.

2. Cycling thru F2 view when friendly AI CAP doesnt do their job.

3. Not making markpoints of targets I find in TGP, even if Im about to attack the group anyway.

4. Not hand jamming jtac coordinates when I know he's EPLRs capable.

5. Too impatient to shoot helis from the rear with aim-9 if we're head on.

6. Never turning on ILS since Ive gotten the hang of it.

Wild Bill, why do you turn on your APU in your #6?

Oh, add to that, selecting maverick as soi, but not weapon, and ghus releasing bombs when you've got a valid lock just because you couldn't flick dms right/left to intended payload or forgot..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Haha.

Yep TGPing a target, slewing the mav to it, coming in range and trying to release without the weapon selected.

Also last night I left the APU and APU Gen on for the whole sortie until I came to shut everything down.