Dynamic Weather Overview

Yo-Yo

it may be a nice adition for dynamic weather, to be able to derive real online BS weather data.

Maybe - except if you're wanting Summer for your mission & it's Winter IRL, or you need cloud cover & IRL it's a lovely day where you're picking up the weather...

Cheers.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was just me being curious, as usual. Thanks for clarification.

BTW, I recall the discussion about wind gusts etc. you participated in too. I bet the weather and current gusting modeling is your pet now ;)

A really great step for the whole DCS environment! Love the dynamic weather. Just two really important things are missing to handle weather conditions properly from the pilots view:

1. A METAR (for the used airbases) (maybe auto-generated) available in the Mission-Briefing.

2. A weather report from ATC which has NOT missing the decimals (now: QFE29 -> should read: QFE29,xx), so you can set up your altimeter according to the place you're going to land at.

And btw.: The overcast generated from "normal" clouds looks way better than the standard weather overcast effect. But I expect it to be more performance-killing?

However, keep it coming! Looking forward to your ongoing work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

No, it doesn't. Even if it is being kept in mind, it might never end up being planned for, or it might end up being cut.

Don't ask about future modules. It's far too early to say anything about them.

Maybe the rules should be amended to include a "Don't ask, we'll tell you when we're ready" policy? :music_whistling:...or something to that effect, all joking aside, it just might save you guys a lot of headaches and repetitive questions in the future...as long as people actually read and obey it.

The last days we (our squadron) talked a lot about the usage of the dynamic weather in future missions. We came to the conclusion, that it would be necessary to be provided with a target area weather report (observer reported and available in the briefing already, or at least requestable via radio in-flight). Without knowing winds, QNH, fog and cloud density and height you can't really do a proper flight- and attack-planning.

And, as mentioned above already: Being able to put the weather of planned airbases to use (departure + arrival) into the briefing would also be important. For alternatives however, weather could be requested by radio in-flight, ones the decision is made to land at an airbase other than pre-planned.

Edited by Laud
typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A quick question - do DCS W missions and campaigns include some tailored weather conditions so the difference would be noticeable for a DCS BS player?

The difference between DW & SW is quite noticeable - amongst other things (or even if only because ) the weather changes as you fly around :-)

Think - the difference between LO tubulence and DCS.BS turbulence

• Like 1

Cheers.

Hi, ED!

I want to show you this screenshots I taked from a mission I was created with DW in the Mission Editor. Its was captured using a little trick in the server.lua file (terrainrestriction = false). My intention was make rain in certain areas using dynamic weather, but no matter what settings I tried in the ME, never get it rain. But, if you watch the screenshots, you will see what I found it. In Batumi, where the weather was really bad, you will see the rain is "only under the ground"! Can you check this, please?

Thanks & sorry for my english!

screen110404043017.jpg

screen110404043129.jpg

screen110404043235.jpg

screen110404043327.jpg

screen110404043522.jpg

screen110404044048.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few questions about the Dynamic Weather System.

Hello guys,

Since the documentation on this feature is very small I'd like to ask a few questions if you'll allow me.

1) What exactly is the PRESSURE DEVIATION figure responsible for?

Does it set the pressure differences between two collateral grids? Or is it something else entirely?

What I've noticed is that using the DEFAULT values, the game will generate weather conditions that are not usable, since we'll get winds that are way too strong (higher than 100km/h).

I was able to get usable wind strengths when setting the Pressure Deviation Values by hand and experimenting.

What puzzles me is that sometimes I get nice winds by setting Pressure Deviation to a value of 10, for example, and sometimes by setting a value of 400, some other times by setting a value of -500, for instance. It doesn't make any sense to me. Could someone shed a little bit of light on the reason this happens?

Well, that's it for now... hope I don't become a nuisance, but I'd like to learn how to use this feature so to make missions with more variable weather.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Besides the amount of pressure deviation it depends on your position relative to the cyclones, as the winds differ.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Besides the amount of pressure deviation it depends on your position relative to the cyclones, as the winds differ.

Also the number of systems, as the more systems, the closer they will be together, means higher pressure gradient and stronger wind.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Thanks guys... I have a few other observations and questions... I hope I don't sound too stupid to you...

1) I've also noticed something else. Even though some wind speeds are displayed outside the created system, you're only affected by them if you enter the system.

I was getting consistent 0 m/s wind speeds in the CDU and then I discovered that I was actually flying outside the system itself. I guess this is a minor bug from the Dynamic Weather Editor.

2) Now, I hope I don't sound too dumb... But can I assume that Pressure deviation is always negative in a Anti-cyclone system? And positive in a Cyclone one?

3) A few posts behind, some other users were talking about creating two systems in an Anti-Cyclone area and "by fiddling with the appropriate parameters" create rain and even snow. There was also mention of simulating an overcast area, even though the Dynamic Weather editor does not support such feature if not set in the entire map.

So, is there something I am missing? I've tried a few different settings with an Anti-Cyclone area and two systems, but all I got were too strong winds and no rain. :(

Any help would be appreciated. :smartass:

I've been fiddling with the dynamic weather and have found it rather unusable. First, there isn't any clear or precise information on how to create a particular weather state and nor is there any obvious way to control where weather conditions will be. I'm sure it will be awesome with continued development but at the moment it seems rather a puzzling feature.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

I'll just leave it aside for the time being... need to learn more about the topic to even be able to grasp the very basics of it, but since it's still a WiP, maybe we'll get updates to it in the near future.

Still, a great little feature. :)

but since it's still a WiP, maybe we'll get updates to it in the near future.

And maybe a detailed documentation/tutorial... I've just not enough spare time for a meteorology-study...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]