A-10C Training Video Available - Start Up

Wags

I'm sorry, is that a high-horse you're sitting on?

I was unable to find an actual YouTube video of an A-10 starting up, but was able to find numerous videos of F-15s and Su-27s. One thing I noticed was that in all F-15 startup videos, the right engine was started first. This was substantiated by the F-15 flight manual excerpts I found. In all the Su-27 startup videos I watched, the left engine was started first. Unable to find a suitable video of an A-10 (and all the "manuals" I searched for and read omitted any kind of startup procedure), I assumed that Western aircraft typically started the right engine first, and Eastern aircraft typically started the left engine first.

When multiple videos provide the same evidence, you're damn right YouTube is an authority.

Clearly your assumption failed, so my advice is: dont make an assumption based on that type of logic and "evidence" again, someone could get hurt ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I can see in the A10A NATOPS, the picture of the internal of the aircraft expose the APU in the left engine casing. So it may be logical to start the left engine first. No?

Why argue to find who's right or wrong? At the end of the start-up procedure, both engines should be started so,...:smilewink:

The question I have is: Is it possible to have this training video for download (non splitted HD)? If yes, is there a schedule?

Thanks

Edited by Cedaway

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

@GGTharos => :doh: You're right. there is no NAVAL Air Training and Operating Procedures Standardization for the A10. So, let's just say the 'manual', or the 'guide'. (Bible? :smilewink:)

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

The airforce uses a different series (obviously) nomenclature, but you could sort of equate the -1's to the NATOPS.

The thing is, all of those manuals give you basic overview. All the interesting stuff is in classified supplements and manuals that neither we, nor ED will ever see.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Isnt it "tomorrow" yet? It has been a week now.. :smartass::harhar:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

Isnt it "tomorrow" yet? It has been a week now.. :smartass::harhar:

Maybe mode "two more weeks" ON :music_whistling: (I'm already out => )

Actually, I'd rather prefer a 'polished' video than a hasty one.

I personnaly found the first one well captured, well toned and 'functional'. With the help of constructive critics found round this thread, I think they will bring the next videos at the top. The goal of the training is to accelerate the learning curve making the student to actively participate in the process. This is why I think there will be GREAT improvement between A-10C interactive training courses against the Black Shark training videos...

Edited by Cedaway

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

The airforce uses a different series (obviously) nomenclature, but you could sort of equate the -1's to the NATOPS.

The thing is, all of those manuals give you basic overview. All the interesting stuff is in classified supplements and manuals that neither we, nor ED will ever see.

With the exception of the classified material, don't be so sure that ED won't get some of the other manuals it needs;).

Aircraft FOR

I believe it is nearly universal that the Frame of Reference for every aircraft is from the tail looking forward, and you count your engines left to right. In nearly every real-world aircraft that I've flown or worked on, including the A-10, according to procedure, you start the most left (#1) engine first. I don't know about the F-15 as I have no experience with it, but I certainly wouldn't use youtube as an authority.

The only other thing I noticed that might be incorrect about the startup video has to do with the generators. If I remember correctly, and I might not, you don't switch the generators on until after the engines are idling. They sometimes don't come online if the engines are started with the generators enabled and you must then recycle the switch. If memory serves, that is.

:)

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

My thoughts exactly too left to right.

I believe it is nearly universal that the Frame of Reference for every aircraft is from the tail looking forward, and you count your engines left to right. In nearly every real-world aircraft that I've flown or worked on, including the A-10, according to procedure, you start the most left (#1) engine first. I don't know about the F-15 as I have no experience with it, but I certainly wouldn't use youtube as an authority.

The only other thing I noticed that might be incorrect about the startup video has to do with the generators. If I remember correctly, and I might not, you don't switch the generators on until after the engines are idling. They sometimes don't come online if the engines are started with the generators enabled and you must then recycle the switch. If memory serves, that is.

:)

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

The only other thing I noticed that might be incorrect about the startup video has to do with the generators. If I remember correctly, and I might not, you don't switch the generators on until after the engines are idling.

AFAIK, moving the switch does not automatically connect the generators to the electrical load. The circuits only become connected when the engine spools above a certain value during the start cycle. That threw me off as well, until I read about it in the manual.

I'm not sure if the schematic shows it or not, but like "Avilator" said, the GEN switches are more like a consent switch. In this case, you're giving the GCU consent to bring the respective IDG online provided the output is within limits.

Hmm, it seems strange to post a reply without actually saying anything. :)

Edited by nomdeplume

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I once saw links to very well made training videos..I think they were official, or not (can't remember)..Cold somebody give me the links please?

I don't need A-10 startup training, but a lot of laser guided bombs training, CCRP, JTAC, landing, ILS

"Always check your 6 o'clock if you want to live!"

• 11 months later...

the official training video sounds are hard to hear, I have turned the sound sal the way up, and stil cannot hear the sounds.... I even wear a headset... I followed directions for setting the sounds, and it still doesn't fix the sound problem with the training videos in A-10C.

Also, I can read 100x faster than the person reading it in the video, but have to wait until they finish before pressing hte space bar to continue to the next part..

The Interactive training voideos are good, but if the sounds were fixed, and we could adavnce at our desired rate through the training it would help immensly..

just sayin"

:doh:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

the official training video sounds are hard to hear, I have turned the sound sal the way up, and stil cannot hear the sounds.... I even wear a headset... I followed directions for setting the sounds, and it still doesn't fix the sound problem with the training videos in A-10C.

Also, I can read 100x faster than the person reading it in the video, but have to wait until they finish before pressing hte space bar to continue to the next part..

The Interactive training voideos are good, but if the sounds were fixed, and we could adavnce at our desired rate through the training it would help immensly..

just sayin"

:doh:

You should be able to achieve any desired relative sound levels by turning down the WORLD and IN-COCKPIT sound sliders, but leaving the HELMET slider all the way up. This way all game sounds can be minimized (or even turned completely off), while leaving the instructor and helmet audible sounds (like RWR, betty) enabled.

You can always accelerate time by simply pressing LCTRL+Z a few times.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

• 2 years later...

I tried the training mission and couldn't get the engines to start. (11/23/14)

The sim didn't recognize the keyboard commands.

All I can say is that is 1 long starting sequence.

Thanks for the info at least I know what to do after they do start.

Edited by AngryMarvin
added date I tried the mission