F-18 grip, WARTHOG compatible

Looks nice, and would be great if we had a B-17 to fly but...

My guess is the FSX A2A B-17 crowd. It's actually really well done. They make a great product. Their mustang is, in my opinion better than the DCS as far as flight model goes, but no weapons soo...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Out of curiosity;

This panel is pretty damn impressive. On a more "Objective" or "Game-Related" point of view, the only part of this panel that really has importance is the CDU... Have you considered building this whole panel in parts? I'd find the CDU to be a great first proposition. I don't much care for the warnings panel or ILS. These things are easy to interact with in the software. But the CDU, that is something very good to have physically next to you.

Just a though.

Cheers,

PRO aviation panels (for DCS)

1ab_zpsvhbstxfc.jpg%7Eoriginal

I started on the A-10 but that thing is a monster, I may have to switch to the F-18 or any other available model because they're at least 4x less complex. And again, you A-10 guys would have to pay a gazillion bucks for something like this if I only did the A-10, but other modules are what's going to pay for your cheap A-10 panels, even if I make them at a slight loss.

http://www.youtube.com/konotani

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Asus PG278Q Rog Swift 27-INCH G-SYNC

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals (used as Rudders)

Thrustmaster T300 Arcantera Wheel

Obutto R3volution rig

Only small details today:

And again, this is not about making one bar, guard or lamp. Anyone can make a 3d model and have it 3d printed on Shapeways for 25$. This is about designing it in such way, and developing the tools to manufacture each of these for 0.05$. And these are done. The goal is to not have a small part more expensive than a 1$ to make and takes no longer than a minute to manufacture (including paint and engraving), and not a panel more expensive than 5$ to make and takes no longer than 5 minutes to manufacture (including paint and engraving). Goal achieved. The same will be done for more modern instruments with digit displays, digit counters and 3d artificial horizons.

This one is going under the knife sometimes this week. B-17 front panel with mechanical instruments. A test bed for FSX/Prepar3d platform. B-17 because it has curved shapes on the panel boxes, it has single pointer, dual pointer and triple pointer instruments. Push buttons, 2-way and 3-way toggles both latching and momentary, safety guards, connector bars and safety bars. Potentiates and rotary selectors, led mounts and led lamps etc.. Basically it has everything you can imagine in a WWII cockpit. This way I can develop most mechanical stuff in one pit, and just use the components on the rest of them. Also after I'm done, I can send it to FSX/Prepar3d crowd so they can work on interfacing it while I prototype DCS WWII fighters.

z6_zpsrjoivmen.png~original

Really awesome stuff mate ...:)

Any pics of head tracker prototypes ...? :noexpression:

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

Await B-17 joystick. ;)

This is absolutely fantastic information.

Thanks for that, I never knew that. :)

First fly-by-wire system, well what do you know..

(PS "Need to spread rep" so can't give you reputation this time.)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Out of curiosity;

This panel is pretty damn impressive. On a more "Objective" or "Game-Related" point of view, the only part of this panel that really has importance is the CDU... Have you considered building this whole panel in parts? I'd find the CDU to be a great first proposition. I don't much care for the warnings panel or ILS. These things are easy to interact with in the software. But the CDU, that is something very good to have physically next to you.

Just a though.

Cheers,

I disagree, you can use your keyboard, the pinky as a multiplier and the MFD as a perfect CDU, the panel below it that changes steer point to way point, (required for 9 line) and the (Cmsp?) the counter measures at the top are the two I needed, I made my own waypoint one but havnt had the confidence to do lcd's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there.

I am very interested by your "evenstrain mod" for the Warthog. Mine is 15cm extended.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xgag6mhagg0wx86/AAACJl_eTHEJmCQKI8Jl4rhCa?dl=0

Will your mod be compatible?

Sorry if the answer is already in the topic.. tl,dr :music_whistling:

Vkb Glad Pro, this is evenstrain if I understood? Thanks to the dual cam system?

AntOine,

No, VKB "Next Gen" gimbal(in YT video) is dual CAM, dual spring system. Not used before in commercial joystick unless in Baur gimbal (the pioneer in the use of the system).

EvenStrain - discontinued gimbal mod for Cougar - is this:

evenstrain.jpg

Four springs on joystick pole, in diagonal, bellow the gimbal center (gimbal on bearings).

In Hegyck proposed mod for Warthog the four springs will act above gimbal center, the only option available for this stick. The resultant kinematics should be the same, or similar.

Edited by Sokol1_br

AntOine,

No, VKB "Next Gen" gimbal(in YT video) is dual CAM, dual spring system. Not used before in commercial joystick unless in Baur gimbal (the pioneer in the use of the system).

EvenStrain - discontinued gimbal mod for Cougar - is this:

evenstrain.jpg

Four springs on joystick pole, in diagonal, bellow the gimbal center (gimbal on bearings).

In Hegyck proposed mod for Warthog the four springs will act above gimbal center, the only option available for this stick. The resultant kinematics should be the same, or similar.

Thanks you Sokol,

I'm hon0 on Vkb's forum. :thumbup:

Edit: So Vkb's new Gimball will feel like Stock Warthog?

Edited by Ant0ine

I think no, in CAM gimbal you have two separated springs, one for each axis.

Warhog/Saitek's use only one compressed - by "piston" spring - what cause the issue:

Is need more force for "unclock" the piston from this central position, and have this mix (or cancellation) of forces in sequential X, Y movements (pointed by Hegyck).

I think you can look at CAM gimbal as improvement of "pincer" gimbal (CH, Cougar, Cobra M5, Gladiator basic *) - who have the drawback of a lound ("clunk) and very tactile center position, when you re-center and specially when move the joystick across gimbal center, or from one axis to other(CH gimbal is a "clunk" fest).

* This (less costly) model try achieve a "soft" center through damper, with grooves and grease in gimbal pivot axis (the other stick in the video bellow, Cobra M5, use a "CH clone" gimbal).

With CAM you achieve a "soft"* - "clunk" less center but subtle tactile.

* Exchanging the CAM you can have a more "hard" center or even a "free" center- without a exactly mechanical center.

(VKB) T-Rudder CAM for example came with "hard" - you feel the center in gently pedal movements, but hear "clunk" in fast across the center movements, when the bearing radius arc chock with CAM center position arc.

And this CAM have a "soft" side, less tactile and loud in fast movements. In this the radius of CAM center position arch is big than bearing radius, with less area of contact, why became less tactile, and thus less loud.

CAM design need find a compromise balance between this two conflicting goals: a tactile but loud less center. :)

"Food for thought": All Cougar mods (EvenStrain, NN_DAM, UberNXT) use 4 springs, in the two first opposite in "X" and in the third in opposite in "V", 2 per axis, like in this "low tech" UberNXT based gimbal:

https://s15.postimg.org/c4ln18nej/Uber_MM.jpg

As it's a more "costly" system, 4 x 2 springs... was not used by joystick industry, but used in "joystick" for military simulators (High Rev Sim, now Bugeye):

https://s16.postimg.io/c3nn7oc0l/Gimbal_X.jpg

How good this system really is? :huh:

I remember that at time - first half of 2000's these (expensive ~400$) Cougar mod's have praised feel...

But we know how "VirPilovs" are "suspicious" in their feelings (they need "justify to themselves their expensive 'toy' purchases") :D - see for example, the significant amount of "wonderful" when the Warthog was released (~2010). :D

I remember that in (2010) topic in SimHQ a guy pointed that their new Warh' center system are less than "stellar", but was threatened to be "burned at the stake" by others. :lol:

For what I remember (long time ago...) the length discussions about spring/gimbal kinematics in the (RiP) Sukhoi forum - which lead to CAM* use in joystick center - don't give "five stars" for this 4 spring system...

* Curiosity: ~2008 CAM "prototype" from Shukhoi. :)

I "translated" this "Zaghruzatelya" - a kind of "Joystick CAM design 4 Dummies" document, If someone has interest PM.

Bottom line is: all systems have their drawbacks.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Spring mod is going through some (I hope) last modifications.

Working CDU and UFC with glare shield videos coming up next week. Maybe even this Friday. Due to the progress I made with CDU while waiting on custom springs, A-10 left and right panel modules have moved up in priority.

Edited by hegykc

I'd wait till the hornet actually come out before asking. But a copy for the f15 wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

I suggest a more simple first:

KG-12B (4 buttons) and/or Mig-21, no much HAT's and don't need a nice finish, Russian grips are "crude". :)

Really any of the Full fidelity ones are game at this point. A lot can be doubled like p51 and f86. Mig15 and D9/K4

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Spring mod is going through some (I hope) last modifications.

Working CDU and UFC with glare shield videos coming up next week. Maybe even this Friday. Due to the progress I made with CDU while waiting on custom springs, A-10 left and right panel modules have moved up in priority.

So what happened to the Track Clip product?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So what happened to the Track Clip product?

I divided my prototyping into 3 levels, by order of complexity.

1) Laser cutting, bending and forming

2) CNC milling

3) 3D printing

Head tracking units goes under phase 2), which I will start next month.

Well, I was looking forward to the release of the warthog spring mod. Unfortunately, it seems it has suffered the all too familiar fate of "back to the drawing board"

Sent while I should be working instead.

I will gladly take your apologies when I release more products in the first opening month, then all the small manufacturers released combined since, ever ;)

This week's prototype: Working, stand alone CDU along with automated, computer controlled tools and machinery to manufacture it in hundreds and thousands if needed.

20160915_201241_zpsppuu1c01.jpg~original

Coming up are panels, mechanical $10 instruments, MFCD's etc. Spring mod is still priority No.1 and will be available soon.

Save

Save

Edited by hegykc