HOTAS or Stick with throttle? X52, T.Flight HOTAS owners advise please...

I was on the verge of buying a second hand X52 today...but before I committed, i tried using my current Saitek Aviator placed on a small desk in front of me, using only my right hand to control. I should point out that I normally play holding / supporting the joystick in my left hand and controlling with my right hand.

I have to say that controlling / supporting the stick with only one hand felt completely alien to me and my ability to control the aircraft suffered accordingly. I'm not sure if this was because I was concerned the base of the stick would move around on the desk (which it did to a degree), my habit of having the throttle on the stick, or what.

So basically, I guess what I'm asking, is:

a) Is the X52 heavy enough not to shift around the desk (or whatever surface) when playing?

b) As above but for T.Flight HOTAS?

c) Any recommendations to upgrade to a single stick with throttle (ie Not HOTAS)?

a) I just got X52 Pro today. It's not terribly heavy but not too light either. Depending on your flying style you could start moving the stick around the table if you are too rough. However it comes with removable suction cups which should fix the problem if you have it in the first place.

c) If you want a simple and good stick, I can highly recommend Logitech Freedom 2.4 or the equivalent wired stick 3D. Never had problems with tipping over this one. Very stable and rubbery base.

I've been using the Saitek X family for about 15 years now. The X52 is a good stick. Since you have a stick and throttle as separate units, it makes flying a lot easier. As for sliding, the little rubber feet are pretty grippy. If mine slides, I just wipe them off and it sticks again. The suction cups are there if you are overly acressive or your desk is really slippery. Under normal and propper flight, the stick will rest just fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I feel that the X52 never slides. Just like prophet said the rubbery pads underneath keep it firmly in place when manouvering. The stick is quite "fluid", i.e. easy to move around, so the base stays put. Even if it's a tad on the light side..

As for a non-hotas joystick I could vouch for Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, very good stick with a little throttle as well =) (looks just like a Cordless Freedom 2.4 so I expect them to be very similar)

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

a) Is the X52 heavy enough not to shift around the desk (or whatever surface) when playing?

I don't know, since I don't use that one, but I feel you have to be doing something weird to cause your stick to move. Simple rubber holds on my Saitek are enough even on the relatively slippery surface on my desk.

c) Any recommendations to upgrade to a single stick with throttle (ie Not HOTAS)?

I've generally liked my long-serving Cyborg Evo, though it's a bit skittish on the rudder axis so I'd recommend using a proper set of rudder pedals with it. But then again - you don't have to add much to it's price to get an X52...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester