Black Shark 2 Released

Wags

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations ED. Your flight sims are my drug of choice. You know I'm buying it.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now, this was asked when the whole DCS thing started and IIRC it was clearly stated that there would be free compatibility patches to bring the common engine up to standard which was increased with the release of the new module if you don't want to purchase the new module.

Correct: when "the whole DCS thing started" that was stated as the ambition.

It was, however, quickly realized that this wasn't going to work, and for example the DCS Warthog FAQ has always stated that "[ED] hopes to be able to produce a compatibility upgrade".

Unfortunately, the old statement has seen a lot of repetition even recently in articles by the press and on other forums, but these have not been ED statements. As I am sure you understand, it is hard for ED to run around and correct the whole internet, if you excuse the slightly hyperbolic expression.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

No but instead of releasing a clear statement to their users they instead let the idea build momentum. Also it was inferred that this upgrade would not cost money and even though the FAQ may have changed from patch to upgrade that is not a clear sign or indication that it would cost money. To be more blunt it's not like saying " Guys we are going to charge for future software compatibility upgrades". Instead they changed the wording around to more suit their needs down the road when they decided what it was they were going to do.

Edited by Insanatrix

No but instead of releasing a clear statement to their users they instead let the idea build momentum.

I mean "how easy can it be"..

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Okay, I didn't have much time to look through all 26 pages in this topic. Maybe someone mentioned it, but during 3 years you have better GPU cards coming out, better CPUs, faster memory. All this gives the developers an advantage to implement things that maybe were performable but required monster computers. I'm not saying that Black shark couldn't have been compatible with DCS:WH but considering how much new is implemented into DCS:WH it is not more than fair to upgrade rest of the of the line to the same standard. And for what price? Less than you will spend on other unnecessary things, as ie. taxi ride?

Also when you release a game, you sure want to make it slightly better than the previous. I am very pleased that ED is following up on their products, not many companies do that now days. When will you see an update for Battlefield 2?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So still no news on the Steam version upgrade? It is not possible to install the 1.0 from Steam, as it will always use the latest patched version 1.02.

Is there something we can move or redo in the interim?

PS Not being rude guys, but you never actually tried this installer at least once on the Steam or 1.02 version?

No but instead of releasing a clear statement to their users they instead let the idea build momentum....

Common sense works both ways - it's not always black and white: There are various shades of grey to consider too.

...Also it was inferred that this upgrade would not cost money....

Where?

Link if you please.

....To be more blunt it's not like saying " Guys we are going to charge for future software compatibility upgrades". Instead they changed the wording around to more suit their needs down the road when they decided what it was they were going to do.

Again - what are you referring to specifically? What wording was changed? Be careful not to generalise.

In any event - you're unhappy - we get it. Don't purchase the upgrade.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

So still no news on the Steam version upgrade? It is not possible to install the 1.0 from Steam, as it will always use the latest patched version 1.02.

PS Not being rude guys, but you never actually tried this installer at least once on the Steam or 1.02 version?

In the interim, in lieu of a fix to the installer itself, does the method of downloading BS1 from ED and installing that to temp folder, then the upgrade, not work?

Apologies if this has been answered already.

Nate

As stated previously, you download the 2GB install files from the main site and attend to a separate BS1.0 install. Thereafter you install BS2.

Once done you can just uninstall BS1.0.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the interim, in lieu of a fix to the installer itself, does the method of downloading BS1 from ED and installing that to temp folder, then the upgrade, not work?

Apologies if this has been answered already.

Nate

Apologies, I missed that - I can give it a try. Given that the Steam version doesn't give a key to use will I be ok not activating it, i.e. I just have to download and install and then do the upgrade?

Apologies, I missed that - I can give it a try. Given that the Steam version doesn't give a key to use will I be ok not activating it, i.e. I just have to download and install and then do the upgrade?

I had forgotten Black shark on steam was different. Let me get back to you on that.

Nate

Ok, has FC3 been confirmed somewhere officially by ED and I was just blind to it? I notice that I can select my F-15C, A-10A, Su-27, Su-25s, etc. in Black Shark 2 mission editor to be multiplayer clients.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

(page 22)For everyone complaining about the extra upgrade cost. It's perfectly reasonable to charge for that amount of additional work.

Look at Blizzard as an example. Or any company that creates downloadable content. THEY ALL cost money. Some just add new campaigns, some just add new maps, some just add new weapons. This upgrade adds compatibility, more map area, better graphics, and a TON of tweaks. And for $20 (I'm assuming everyone complaining owns BS1) it's a steal compared to how much you play. I've paid for all ED's products, and still I've managed to blow more money in one night on coronas. ED has given me hours upon hours of entertainment. I for one, paid $14 A MONTH! for WoW, and I'll be paying monthly (at least for a while) for StarWars: Old Republic.

We're trying to keep this simulation genre going, and if it's paying $20 for some great downloadable content, that's the least I can do.

Well, i'm off to watch a movie, and went back, to see THAT ?

And there are people complaining?

oh ***t ! At least now i know a rough number of active player :-)

20$ is not cheap... but it's not a 5h playtime game like BF3. (ohhh MW3, what? 60€? lol)

I bought all armaII expansions, and some of them was.. hard to admit... for the price. but, heh.. 20$ for a "community expandable" game? or 20$ to show how J.J. Abrams f*** you with his movies?

Never forget Millions of people will PAY 40$ just to kill some Pandas ! and incidentally keep playing.

Vergeev campaign costs 4$

HiTiles for F4 costs 5$

Eve Online require 2 accounts min@ 14$ each

Show the world that the KA-50 can CRUSH any A-10 on the ground, that's priceless. :P

Look the right side, now BS is up do date with a modern (....?) engine. Let them release Nellis, A-10 patch, and GO for the next DCS machine ! (who wanna be the running JTAC Man ? :pilotfly:)

btw, whats new radio comms means? can we talk about the weather with Awacs? as i don't have A-10 ^^ ...yet.

will buy it tomorrow, don't kill the servers !

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Common sense works both ways - it's not always black and white: There are various shades of grey to consider too.

So in other words you can't really argue the point you wanted to say something witty to try and come out on top. Very professional of you Viper :lol::doh:

Where?

Link if you please.

Well it was referred to as a compatibility patch, In my mind and I would assume most other general users minds that tends to lean towards the free side. Now of course there's the whole " But it changed in the FAQ page" argument. Well if I change one obscure piece of information in my post are you guaranteed to read it? Not quite as clear as if I make a new post or topic discussing the change is it? It's almost like I didn't care if anyone really saw it....

Again - what are you referring to specifically? What wording was changed? Be careful not to generalise.

Referring to this whole Upgrade/Patch comparison.

In any event - you're unhappy - we get it. Don't purchase the upgrade.

Am I unhappy? yea I am. It's not about wanting or not wanting to purchase it. I do want to purchase it believe it or not. It's about the door that it opens when other modules roll down the line. Do you really wanna pay 180 bucks plus the cost of a new module when or if ED reaches a 10th plane that they model? And not only that but the fact that you have to keep paying if I understand correctly the way they are doing it. So for instance I pay $20 now for BS2 to be compatible with A-10. Now when the next module comes out do I again pay $20 for BS3 and $20 for A-10C 2? And then again after that Do I pay another $20 for BS4 and $20 for A-10C 3 and $20 for DCS: New module? You see what I'm saying?

Answers in bold

Edited by Insanatrix
  • Like 1

Answers in bold

OK - now with that out of the way I trust we shall move right along now ;)

Ta

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]