"Load profile" under control options is not working.

Gimbal

Hello pilots.

I'm trying to use the following control profile for my DCS installation.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=81116

I've followed all the instructions in the thread as well as aggressively searching for a solution before posting here.

The file is saved as .lua, upon clicking "load profile" under the control options the file is not listed. I select "All files" under the file type and can successfully see and click the respective .lua file. I click the file to add it as a profile, the controls screen flashes for a second as if it were making changes to my assigned commands, although looking at the key binds importing the file makes zero changes to ANY commands or binds and retains my default.

What can I do to alleviate this problem? I'd really love to import this profile instead of binding all the keys myself as i'm still learning my way around that facet of the simulation.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Edit: I'm using the steam version updated to the latest available release with a Logitech 3D Pro Joystick.

Edited by Gimbal

There really is no solution except to recreate the key binds yourself. DCS World v1.2.8 introduced changes to the naming and structure of saved profiles. Profiles created prior to v1.2.8 cannot be used with later versions.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

There really is no solution except to recreate the key binds yourself. DCS World v1.2.8 introduced changes to the naming and structure of saved profiles. Profiles created prior to v1.2.8 cannot be used with later versions.

Thank you for the reply. That is very disappointing to hear.

I'll try and tackle this myself then, the only issue I see that can be a problem is assigning long and short holds to the hat stick I'll get started finding a tutorial, thank you again.

Long and shorts are built into DCS. You won't find them in the control map. You will just find a control for the switch (i.e. TMS FWD will have one assignment but long and short button press will do different things in different situations) but the long and short part are handled inside the sim so don't even worry about them.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Long and shorts are built into DCS. You won't find them in the control map. You will just find a control for the switch (i.e. TMS FWD will have one assignment but long and short button press will do different things in different situations) but the long and short part are handled inside the sim so don't even worry about them.

Roger that, thank you for your help again. Maybe it won't be as difficult to recreate as I'm suspecting.

One thing that might help is to look at pages 87-92 in the Flight manual (..\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Doc). The chart shows you what the different buttons do in different avionic modes. Each table has a switch name above it and the first column is a direction of switch movement. That is the only part that gets programmed in Options>Controls.

Ok I think I understand what you mean, there will only be a TMS Right command but the bind is automatically integrated with short and long depending on the length of time the button is held.

This will drastically reduce the amount of work needed to recreate these binds. Flying manually while manipulating the TAD,TGP or any other SOI with the keyboard has been nearly impossible if not extremely confusing and cumbersome for a beginner.

Thanks again!

Edit: it looks like the last page of http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=81116&page=5 seems to provide a work around I'll give that a shot first. Hopefully it still works.

Edited by Gimbal

Ok I think I understand what you mean, there will only be a TMS Right command but the bind is automatically integrated with short and long depending on the length of time the button is held.

Correct.

Flying manually while manipulating the TAD,TGP or any other SOI with the keyboard has been nearly impossible if not extremely confusing and cumbersome for a beginner.

I can imagine it would be. I think you will find things will seem more sensible, and a little easier, once you have the major controls on your stick. DMS and TMS in particular.

EDIT: I haven't tried what is described in that post but the theory seems sound.

Edited by cichlidfan

After a little bit of trial and error I think I got it working.

I followed the instructions on the last page of the thread I posted, unfortunately that did not work.

Someone in the thread recommend renaming the profile to default.lua and replacing the original default.lua file. I backed the file up and once I replaced it the profile is working.

I had no custom keyboard commands at the time, so I hope there is no negative impact on the sim from replacing that file, so far I don't see any but i'll keep my eyes open.

Can this cause a negative effect down the road?

Thank you.

Now that I looked at that again, I wondered why it worked, without making it the default lua (that's what I thought he was doing). For the A-10 there is probably not going to be an issue. Where issues would likely crop up, from doing that, would be if there were changes to the original default lua affecting the commands you use. That isn't likely to happen with the A-10.

However, it will get broken every time you update the sim, since the updater will replace modified files. I would recommend spending some time with the profile but consider remapping it yourself, at some point, once you are comfortable with it. Otherwise, you can always just mod the game after each update.

That's a great idea. I'll spend some time with the profile and see how I like it or if I want to make changes. In the meantime I'll start getting comfortable with and learning the interface for remapping commands so I can do it on my own.

Thank you for all your help and insightful information it really is very much appreciated.

Consider this problem solved.:thumbup:

My pleasure. Enjoy the sim!

Gimbal,

If I understand you correctly, the default.lua will revert to the true default at the next update. In addition, if you add a second button device it is also going to use the same default. Instead you can save it as a customised joystick lua, by renaming it. I have done this for several additional button boxes etc as well as a set of rudder pedals.

Look in DCS at your Options|Controls page and note what DCS calls your joystick. It will be something like SuperJoystick{3d4...........etc.} (the 3d4.....etc. will be different in your case, unless I have guessed correctly, in which case let me know and I'll buy a lotery ticket!). Now close DCS and go back into 'DCS World\Mods\aircraft\.....\joystick' and rename your lua as 'SuperJoystick.lua'. The long sequence in the curly braces is simply a DCS-assigned serial number. Also, if you have a copy of the original default.lua it mght be as well to replace it in the same directory. If not it will be replaced at the next update.

Now run your DCS and the new settings should appear. in 'Options|Controls' If you need to modify them subsequently then a new SuperJoystick{3d4....}.diif.lua will be saved in Saved Games.

Hope this helps

Flyco

I think I understand the instructions flyco but i'm not too sure exactly what it is you're asking that I try.

I don't see anything with a name referring to my joystick and a unique set of numbers in my main DCS folder. I do see my joystick name with the unique numbers in documents/saved games/dcs/inputs/joystick.

I've tired renaming the profile I downloaded earlier into this same exact file name with no luck, I've also tried opening the superjoysticknumbers.lua and pasting/replacing the contents from the profile I downloaded into that one.

I may be missing exactly what you want me to do with the above instructions, but so far only replacing the default.lua has worked.

Gimbal,

Sorry if I was not clear. If your system now works then that is fine. However, if you do leave the modifed "default.lua" file in the main game folder then, just as cichlidfan said, when you apply the next DCS update, it will over-write your replacement "default.lua" file that you have put in the folder "DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\joystick" (Obviously the section A-10C will be different for different aircraft) You will then lose all the changes that you have made to your "default.lua". At the very least you need to save a back-up copy of your modified '"default.lua". You can then simply re-replace the default.lua file afetr each DCS update.

Alternatively you can put a copy of your own customised default file in the above folder, under another name, which DCS will ignore on updating. The name you should give to this is the name which DCS assigns to your own specififc joystick (or buuton box, or rudder edals etc). This is the same name that you found in your 'Saved Games\...\joystick folder (without the {ad56b410....} serial number.

The actions that DCS assigns to button inputs is automatically worked out at DCS start up, by the program combining the 'default.lua' file in the folder "DCS World\Modes\aircaft\...joystick" and the specific joystck file stored in 'Saved Games\...\joystick". The result of this combination is what you see when you open the page "Options\Controls" from the DCS game opening page.

Any changes you make on that page are made automatically by the DCS program to the Saved Game ...diff.lua file.

I hope that helps a little.

Flyco