I'm Curious

CrackerJack

That video misses some important steps. Just start the APU as soon as possible. Then when it's 100% hit the Gen and your CDU and EGI. That alignment sets how fast you can start anyways. It only takes about 4 minutes.

I don't see where I miss that. This is about exactly what I do, did you actually watch it? And the ground alignment takes way longer than just starting both engines and then taxiing to takeoff

Another way is Fast Alignment. Instead of pressing INFLT, then press INS. Then press ALTALGN then FAST. It takes 1.4 minutes to align, IIRC. It is less accurate. From manual:

"This alignment mode is significantly degraded from a GROUND or INFLT alignment but requires much less time. A FAST alignment is based on stored heading data and Best Available True Heading (BATH). This mode would generally be used when EGI GPS data is not available or if a faster alignment that sacrifices accuracy is needed."

Unsure if this degrading is actually moddeled in DCS.

Be aware that the option for FAST is only available a short time after CDU has finished it's bit test.

Cheers

Hans

I don't see where I miss that. This is about exactly what I do, did you actually watch it? And the ground alignment takes way longer than just starting both engines and then taxiing to takeoff

Ah my bad. I see you got these later

Left and Right AC Gen to ON

Set Standby Attitude Indicator on front dash

I always request startup from ATC even in a scramble

Then all the checks like fuel and oxygen before starting, flight controls etc. just because it's fun

Also Takeoff Trim is an important one, if you've landed to rearm then it can get set wrong, so it's a good habit to add.

I always found I have to arm first before powering up the CDU or the DSMS doesn't load right.

The IFCC BIT completes in the time it takes the engines to spool up so why not run it? The min alt for the gun gets set there too.

I haven't tried aligning the GPS in flight before.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

What is the point of having all the systems modelled if you're going to skip right past them? I, like a lot of others here, only use hot starts when I'm testing, or practising something specific like take-offs and landings in the Dora when that first hit DCS World. Otherwise it's something I'd never skip.

^ this sums it up for me too. I'm here for the detail DCS provides.

Ramp Start :)

As said before, you get a different feeling for "value" of the aircraft and it gives you enough time

to plan your flight, make up tactics and B-strategies if something fails, check for emergency strips

and all that stuff.

I only do hot starts for training a specific thing with time pressure. For enjoying the game it is essential to ramp start ;)

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Ramp Start :)

As said before, you get a different feeling for "value" of the aircraft and it gives you enough time

to plan your flight, make up tactics and B-strategies if something fails, check for emergency strips

and all that stuff.

I only do hot starts for training a specific thing with time pressure. For enjoying the game it is essential to ramp start ;)

Bit

Agree, ramp start unless testing. I have to wait for human ATC to clear me for taxi anyway and as a lot of others has already stated, it adds to the immersion. At the end of the flight prep then alignment doesn't seem to be that time consuming to me as I have to setup weapons profile and add restricted areas to flight plan as well.

Cheers

Hans

Bit

You might want to google hotsstarts on jet engines :music_whistling:

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

Ramp starts because I'm here for the full experience and feel like it bonds me more fully with the jet.

But I do air starts when I want to practice only some specific skill like dropping iron bombs or dodging SAMs—I could take off and land each time, or I could get an extra two rounds in of what I want to work on.

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

Ah my bad. I see you got these later

Left and Right AC Gen to ON

Set Standby Attitude Indicator on front dash

I always request startup from ATC even in a scramble

Then all the checks like fuel and oxygen before starting, flight controls etc. just because it's fun

Also Takeoff Trim is an important one, if you've landed to rearm then it can get set wrong, so it's a good habit to add.

I always found I have to arm first before powering up the CDU or the DSMS doesn't load right.

The IFCC BIT completes in the time it takes the engines to spool up so why not run it? The min alt for the gun gets set there too.

I haven't tried aligning the GPS in flight before.

I indeed forgot the standby Attitude Indicator...

I mentioned takeoff trim at the end of the video, as it is not necessary on a first startup. It is ofc a good habit, but even if you forget it you should be able to takeoff just fine unless you don't pay attention at all.

The problem with DSMS not loading correctly is that you load everything before rearming is done. You can do this, but then you have to reload the DSMS, just like when getting back down and rearm: hold the button of the STAT page for example and select LOAD and replace the STAT page with the LOAD page. Then select LOAD DSMS and you are good to go.

Never had an issue with the CDU though... What exactly does not work as intended?