I'm Curious

CrackerJack

Here's my abbreviated v1 DCS:A-10 Startup procedure adapted from ConorFrosty's 31 point list.

This post is meant for anyone wanting to learn it and describes my personal opinions on it, ie feel free to disagree as much as you like, but it delibetrately cuts out checks etc.

Non essential/out of order items in lighter grey. There's a large part of the process that doesn't need to happen to get the aircraft airborne, equally, missing things might only affect combat, navigation or simply passing out from hypoxia :)

IF YOU FIND IT HELPFUL PLEASE +REP

Suggested learning process:

1. Print/copy out the list below

2. Watch the long ED training video in game and identify all the switches locations

3. Open the manual if needing to fall back on pictures

4. Open an empty mission and go through a ramp start using it. Learn steps 1-30 first with the non optional points only to start. It's worth doing offline so you can use the opportunity to create NEW KEY BINDINGS

5. Do things deliberately out of order to see why things don't work and what does. EG starting left engine before APU is totally up. Then things start to make sense, like why autopilot doesn't work and EAC keeps flipping off etc.

APU+RADIOS

1. Top right: (2) Battery, Inverter on.

2. Left: APU Start; watch him spool up.

3. Top right: APU on

4: Radio's on and "Request startup" etc if not using 'Magic radios'

5. Check weapon/fuel load out is what you want, rearm/refuel via interface.

L ENGINE, INSTRUMENTS AND AIRCRAFT LIGHTS

6. Start Left Engine

7. Right side: (2) EGI, CDU on

8. Left side: SAS channels (4), Fuel Pumps (4)

9. Front bottom left (3) IFCC, JTRS and CICU

10. (2) MFCD's on

11. Aircraft lights on - you need the HOTAS PINKY SWITCH mapped to enable lights on for the rotating Beacon to stay on. Nose and flashing position and (Taxi) landing lights on the left front.

12. Check Left engine spooled to 60% and continue.

R ENGINE STARTUP, Canopy + Various switches

13. Start Right Engine

14. Set TRIM to T/O

15. Turn Antiskid on

16. Turn Nose Wheel Steering on (it's a HOTAS button)

17. Uncage standby ADI (rotate knob till red flag goes and you set horizon)

18. Consider Pitot heating already

19. Close canopy (can do this anytime and usually much earlier tbh)

20. Switch oxygen flow on and check the white flash that it's working :) (dunno why this panics me even in a game but there you go)

APU OFF

21. Check REng spooled up

22. Switch left and right generators on (under battery switch)

23. APU generator power OFF (Near battery switch)

24. APU off (to the left nr autopilot)

NAVIGATION

25. Learn to do this step ASAP earlier :) Your MFCD's should be on and there is a "Load All OSB" in the bottom right you need to press this ASAP

26. Radar Altimeter GCAS on.

27. CDU set to Steerpoint mode

28. Request taxi now if needed

29. When available, press EGI navigation mode on the center column

30. Turn EAC switch on, once EGI is on (under throttle)

REST IS OPTIONAL to becoming airborne!

TAXI, EXPLOSIVES AND WARMING UP

31. Advance out of the hangar, test brakes, throttles and NWS work :) (if i had a penny...)

32. Arm ejection seat (logically prefer this as soon as sky is overhead)

33. (4) Countermeasures engage and set mode (not fully automatic yet!)

34. Switch on/warm up TGP if required early

35. Switch on/warm up EO (Mavericks) if required early

36. Set on TAD; Group ID and OWN ID according to mission

37. Check warning panel for lights and deal with any remaining caution lights

ON ENTERING RUNWAY

38. Set FLAPS to take off

39. Position lights steady, Beacon off (PINKY SWITCH default)

40. Autopilot mode to PATH for the climb is handy

FENCE IN

41. Lights out! HOTAS Pinky OFF

42. Master ARM ON

43. Counter measures to automatic (I find this useful personally because i slack here)

If you get any spare time on the ground, review the TAD waypoint data, set coordinate mode, set up weapons profiles for example for LGB's set your auto lase ON and LS time to 12 if you like it automatic or your release ripples for dumb bombs and rockets, helps save time.

• Like 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

the part to remember most important is the waiting of 4 minutes to align INS. If you miss this and rush it then the little switch under the throttle will not work and you cannot use navigation properly and cannot drop JDAM bombs.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Full cold ramp start up 100%, the more you practice this procedure the easier it becomes.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Ramp start except for quick testing some stuff.

Bored as hell until the 4.0.0.8 marker => Any way to speed up the fix?

40% of my startup time is waiting until that dammn nav pos fix is ready.

And there is nothing left to do while waiting, even DSMS and countermeasures are programmed.

AI A-10C make a cold startup in about 1/4th the time - wonder how.

The AI doesn't use his instruments when he flies. :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Full cold start up here. Only really play SP though so I tend to fast forward to 4.0.0.8

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

The check lists can be a bit overwhelming. I made my own and basically, when I use this method, I find it takes just a bit over the time required to get an alignment anyway,,,

DCS A-10 Startup Procedure

(RAlt + “) to request Fuel and Ordinance in Multi Player

Battery ON R Console

Flood Light Switch ON (at Night) R Console

Inverter Switch to STBY R Console

AC Gen Both ON R Console

CDU & EGI to ON CDU & CAUTION

Steer Pt. Dial to FLT PLAN CDU & CAUTION

Start APU L Console

Close Canopy R Console

Make sure both FUEL FLOW switches are already set to NORM L Console

Main & Wing Boost Pumps ON L Console

(Wait for APU to be 100%)

APU Gen to PWR R Console

Start Right Engine (RCTRL-HOME)

Set CICU and JTRS to ON

Set IFCC to TEST ONLY

Press ENTER on the UFC UFC

Power up both MFCD’s via Dial on Lower Left

Set all NAV Lights to opposite positions, then turn lights on LIGHTING

VHF AM & FM to TR RADIOS

UHF to MAIN RADIOS

Go to Map (F10), find out what airport you are at and get Tower Frequency

Set Tower Frequency for Appropriate Airport RADIOS

Start Left Engine (RALT-HOME)

(HUD BIT TEST WILL BE COMPLETE WHEN YOU HEAR PULL UP AND ALTITUDE)

Press ENTER on the UFC UFC

On HUD, Select down to “EXIT” and press ENTER UFC

IFCC to ON

PITOT ON R Console

Oxygen ON R Console

Set Countermeasure Switches to Center position R Console

Set Countermeasure Dial to SEMI R Console

LEFT MFCD, PRESS “LOAD ALL” DTS UPLOAD

Turn on YAW & PITCH Switches L Console

Press TAKE OFF TRIM Button L Console

EAC Switch to ARM L Console

RDR ALTM to NRM L Console

ARM Ejection Seat MOUSE

Flaps to Takeoff Position

ANTI Skid to ON

TAXI Lights

Check Boarding Ladder is UP F2 VIEW

Confirm NOSE WHEEL STEERING is ON Pinky Switch

APU to OFF L Console

APU Gen to OFF R Console

(DTS UPLOAD WILL BE COMPLETE ONCE YOU SEE DOTS NEXT TO TEXT)

Then, on RIGHT MFCD, Press CDU

(T=4.00.8 will appear once INS Alignment has completed)

Create Custom Weapons Profile (If Desired)

Set Throttle for TGP Slew

Master Arm ON

GUN/PAC ARM

Laser ON

TGP ON

UNCAGE SAI

TAD ID# & Name

RIGHT MFCD, Press “NAV”

Switch HARS to EGI

Mav to ON

Mav Slew setting

FPM to Manual so Waypoints don’t change Auto

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Being new I'm in the process of learning all the necessary procedures. I've been using the checklists included in the manual. While going through this I've wondered how often people actually go through the full start-up procedure as opposed to doing a runway or in air start?

Always Ramp start. Unless iam trying somthing new and no time, then i'll start airborne.

Starting the aircraft is half of the fun. :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asteroids

Update this

:D

Ok it got it - put the time in and do the full start up procedure. Are you using the Start Up checklist in the manual or do you run a different list and why?

I would follow the manual or one of the many guides on the internet. Try and focus on one system at a time. E.g. focus on understanding what the switches do once you have clicked them rather than just following a list. I focused on learning on my pre flight checklist then just clicked through the rest of the list. Once I understood that I then focused on engine start and then clicked through the rest of the list. Sooner later it all just all fits into place and you understand whats going on. This also allows you to start experimenting with things to see what happens as you have a greater understanding of each system. Just take things on in small chuncks and don't expect to learn everything at once.

Going off memory and it's been awhile- but doesn't the manual have you turning on your INS near the end- forcing you to sit there for 5 minutes as it lines up AFTER you've already done all the time consuming things?

It's probably fine- but get your INS lining up in the first 5 clicks... then go through all the other nonsense as that is lining up. That way by the time you have your weapons and TAD configured... maybe add or remove fuel... your INS is lined up and you're ready to go. You don't get that all fired up first only to have to wait another 5 minutes.

There is a way to activate everything right to left while your APU is firing up so when you flip power on just about everything is on and ready... But seriously- this has been discussed about 4 million times so if you search "start up" or something to that effect you'll probably find every possible startup routine there is in existence for every airframe that has ever been built.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

runway takeoff here... startup does add to immersion but I'm not new to it and it becomes boring, specially in multiplayer unless you're filming your mates at the mission start... practicality is issue for me.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

And there is nothing left to do while waiting, even DSMS and countermeasures are programmed.

Well, you can set up your weapons, check the target area on your TAD, etc. Or you can always ctr+z the time :)

I do cold start almost everytime, apart from when I start in the air to test some missions I work on. But even when testing I use the cold start quite often to see if other flights are well synchronized with the player. I know I could just spawn them a bit later, but that just doesn't feel right.. ah, the thrill of learning that the CSAR helo you have to call in later in the mission just crashed somewhere along the way :music_whistling:

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Stumbled upon this topic and thought this might be interesting for people who dislike the startup procedure. In MP you usually start cold and dark, so I hope this comes in handy for you.

I also recommend the countermeasure tutorial, if you are interested in preprogram your own CMS-Profiles for Chaff and Flares without setting them up every time you start the A10.

I usually use this procedure as I am aswell annoyed by the quite long waiting time for INS alignment. If you are in a multiplayer mission together with FC level aircraft they are already half way to the target when you manage to take off...

Edited by Maverick-X

I always cold start. Currently I'm working on my own quick start-up sequence that's authentic but skips all safety checks and when I actually encounter missions with malfunctions I suppose I'm going to do a start-up with safety checks too.

I think 15-20 minutes is an acceptable amount of time to spend on the ground.

I think 15-20 minutes is an acceptable amount of time to spend on the ground.

Given you have that time. If I manage to get an hour of free time to fly I'm happy and I definatly won't spend 1/4 or 1/3 of that time on the ground!

On the other hand I prefer aircraft in MP to be cold and dark. I do like the configuration hot on ramp, but what I certainly dislike is a full fuel tank with the target area 20-50nm away... Unnecessary weight

Going off memory and it's been awhile- but doesn't the manual have you turning on your INS near the end- forcing you to sit there for 5 minutes as it lines up AFTER you've already done all the time consuming things?

It's probably fine- but get your INS lining up in the first 5 clicks... then go through all the other nonsense as that is lining up. That way by the time you have your weapons and TAD configured... maybe add or remove fuel... your INS is lined up and you're ready to go. You don't get that all fired up first only to have to wait another 5 minutes.

There is a way to activate everything right to left while your APU is firing up so when you flip power on just about everything is on and ready... But seriously- this has been discussed about 4 million times so if you search "start up" or something to that effect you'll probably find every possible startup routine there is in existence for every airframe that has ever been built.

there are quicker ways as seen the video in this forum but I would still learn the standard way startup first so you can get an understanding of each system. Once you have that its really easy to tweak it e.g. using ground power. The next step would then be to learn an in flight alignment.

Stumbled upon this topic and thought this might be interesting for people who dislike the startup procedure. In MP you usually start cold and dark, so I hope this comes in handy for you.

I also recommend the countermeasure tutorial, if you are interested in preprogram your own CMS-Profiles for Chaff and Flares without setting them up every time you start the A10.

I usually use this procedure as I am aswell annoyed by the quite long waiting time for INS alignment. If you are in a multiplayer mission together with FC level aircraft they are already half way to the target when you manage to take off...

That video misses some important steps. Just start the APU as soon as possible. Then when it's 100% hit the Gen and your CDU and EGI. That alignment sets how fast you can start anyways. It only takes about 4 minutes.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

That video misses some important steps. Just start the APU as soon as possible. Then when it's 100% hit the Gen and your CDU and EGI. That alignment sets how fast you can start anyways. It only takes about 4 minutes.

Anothet way is to conect the ground power asap switch on stuff to start alignment etc. Just rrmember to turn off the griund power once your generating

You can select INFLT on the CDU to perform an in flight INS alignment. The alignment takes longer than the ground alignment (complete at 5.5.0.9 I believe), but you can taxi/take off while it's running and just reference the TAD to get you to your steerpoint until it completes.