I'm Curious

CrackerJack

Being new I'm in the process of learning all the necessary procedures. I've been using the checklists included in the manual. While going through this I've wondered how often people actually go through the full start-up procedure as opposed to doing a runway or in air start?

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Being new I'm in the process of learning all the necessary procedures. I've been using the checklists included in the manual. While going through this I've wondered how often people actually go through the full start-up procedure as opposed to doing a runway or in air start?

I ramp start 99% of the time.

I use to do runway starts and the progressed to auto ramp starts when I started playing multiplayer. A year or so on I decided it was time to learn the startup procedure which I now use all of the time. Its loads quicker and it gives you a better overall understanding of the a lot of the systems. It also makes it easier to do emergency restarts in the air

I always do the full startup. It gives you a better understanding of the systems and makes sure you don't forget something. I use my checklist and it gives me a reassurance that every system is tuned the way i want it.

Unless I'm testing a mod or something like that I always rampstart. Just adds to the realism IMO and you understand the systems as fixen said.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

99% of the Time:thumbup: It is to me what makes this Sim the Best out there:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Has to be a full start. Doesn't feel right to me if I jump in a hot aircraft

+1

I haven't progressed passed the start up training mission with the mi-8 yet, 'meaning i cant cold start the turkey' which means I have yet to employ any weaponry with it, as much as i would like to, my OCD will not allow it:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

Full cold start whenever possible. :thumbup:

As others said, when I test something specific, I start midair or on the runway (whatever works best to get the test done), but as long as it's a mission, campaign or MP, I prefer ramp starts.

Ok it got it - put the time in and do the full start up procedure. Are you using the Start Up checklist in the manual or do you run a different list and why?

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Go with what's in the manual. It's the correct order to do it all in.

One thing the manual gets different is that your boost pumps are in the preflight section, so if you skip that remember to switch them on.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Never done a hot start apart from missions where it is forced, like weapons trainings.... cold start is one of the best parts of DCS!

Ok it got it - put the time in and do the full start up procedure. Are you using the Start Up checklist in the manual or do you run a different list and why?

For me, I played the start up training mission a few times and just memorized it, but having a small print out checklist can really help.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Aside from very specific situations, I always ramp-start, it is part of the experience and the process tends to "get my head in the game" for lack of a better phrase.

The only time I don't do cold starts is when I am having trouble landing or taking off in a new aircraft and need to practice doing them over and over.

I only learned how to ramp start VERY rcently , about a week ago , after a good year of playing the A-10. I did not find it important to know at all , compared to learning the weapon systems and in-cockpit software. However , now that i do know how to do it , i do it every time. It's just so rewarding and really makes you feel more immersed in the whole game.

What is the point of having all the systems modelled if you're going to skip right past them? I, like a lot of others here, only use hot starts when I'm testing, or practising something specific like take-offs and landings in the Dora when that first hit DCS World. Otherwise it's something I'd never skip.

I always ramp start, its part of the inmersion, makes part of the difference between a game and a simulation.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Eventhough I'm a complete newb to this sim, I have learned the start procedure and use it most of the time, unless I need to quickly test a setting/profile or a custom mission. As others have said It's good practice for familiarization.