How to steer when taking off

Durrantmk

Seeing a lot of posts lately with people just buying this sim and not doing any training at all,,, is there a new trend Im not aware of? OK,, loaded the software, now what button do I push? LOL

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Seeing a lot of posts lately with people just buying this sim and not doing any training at all,,, is there a new trend Im not aware of? OK,, loaded the software, now what button do I push? LOL

Clear sign that the game is being brought to wider audience, be nice. Not everyone is as involved as we might be.

• Like 2

Clear sign that the game is being brought to wider audience, be nice. Not everyone is as involved as we might be.

+1.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I thought I was being nice,, making a nudge at a point though. I think if your going to involve yourself with anything, you should at least do the training lessons 1st, then start asking questions is fine, but at least put in some effort in initially. I know not every one is like me and would agree for that matter, but when I started flying any sim, I would make an effort 1st to learn the basics before asking how do I do XYZ,,, I dont know, I guess I feel I would have been rude to just load the software then flood the forums or teamspeak with questions I would be able to answer myself just buy doing the training and watching youtube. I spent more time reading through these forums than I did in the pit and I still have a lot to learn,, just saying,, not bashing,,, I do appreciate the fact this sim is more wide spread,,, I simply love the S@#$ out of it! Happy training,,, takes many many months of effort, but it pays off,,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I thought I was being nice,, making a nudge at a point though. I think if your going to involve yourself with anything, you should at least do the training lessons 1st, then start asking questions is fine, but at least put in some effort in initially. I know not every one is like me and would agree for that matter, but when I started flying any sim, I would make an effort 1st to learn the basics before asking how do I do XYZ,,, I dont know, I guess I feel I would have been rude to just load the software then flood the forums or teamspeak with questions I would be able to answer myself just buy doing the training and watching youtube. I spent more time reading through these forums than I did in the pit and I still have a lot to learn,, just saying,, not bashing,,, I do appreciate the fact this sim is more wide spread,,, I simply love the S@#$ out of it! Happy training,,, takes many many months of effort, but it pays off,,,

Agreed!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

It doesn't take much to not read one or the other page, there is so much to read and learn.

No question is foolish, only answers can be ;)

Sometimes, when you dig into something and focus too much on something you oversee the obvious... and it may only take one small dumb question to get one back on track.

Trial & Error...the best way to learn things

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Highly likely that this is because of the new Steam integration. With such a popular platform, there are bound to be an increase of players. I just wish they'd use the Steam DCS forums for questions like these, and use the eagle.ru forums for more in-depth topics.

Highly likely that this is because of the new Steam integration. With such a popular platform, there are bound to be an increase of players. I just wish they'd use the Steam DCS forums for questions like these, and use the eagle.ru forums for more in-depth topics.

I'd like to think these forums are for everyone, and all questions... :huh:

• Like 1

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I just wish they'd use the Steam DCS forums for questions like these, and use the eagle.ru forums for more in-depth topics.

I see it the other way around. Once someone took the time to register an account, it's more likely they'll stick around and become valuable and long-term members of the community.

Granted, many people sign up for a quick question and then never return.

But in some cases, newcomers like to share their freshly gained knowledge. Then when someone asks a newbie-question they know the answer to, they themselves are now the one helping the newbie out, which IMO is quite a rewarding experience and also a gain for our community.

I guess my point has been misinterpreted. I absolutly agree that this is an outstanding forum to ask questions. But wouldnt it be prudent to load the software, then make an attempt to learn via the training and abundent tutorials before asking the question? My point I suppose is make an effort 1st, I dont just ask questions on here unless I have went through the training then googled it or searched the forums 1st. If I cant find it, I state as such. I love the expansion, as a matter of fact, and to my point, I was on TS the other night, there were about 6 of us on one channel, I was calling out (attempting to anyway) to see if the 15, and 27 spikes I was getting were friendly or not, and on top of it we had a few A-10's in the AO firing at targets and could not get the oprtunity to call out riffle etc. my RWR was indicating missle launches and I could not get a word in to find out who was doing what because someone had just installed the KA50 and was asking about every button in the cockpit because he did not take the time to do anything but load the software and jump into multi player,, how do you start this thing,,, come on,, put some effort into it for goodness sakes is all Im saying. I would never be so rude,, every experience I have had and was unclear about I would back out and research, if I couldn't find the answer, I would then ask. Im not trying to be a jerk, I need help myself, thats why I read and review 1st, not just load and go and spend a few hours on TS on a server to find out how to fly the aircraft. not intended to offend anyone, just making a point, thats all, dont get your panties all bunched up.

But wouldnt it be prudent to load the software, then make an attempt to learn via the training and abundent tutorials before asking the question?

In general, I agree with you.

I think in most cases we don't know for sure what the guys asking the questions did or didn't do. It's my experience that requesting a track works miracles as to their ability to answer the original question themselves, because figuring out how to post tracks is apparently more difficult than peeking at the manual or searching the forum in regards to whatever it is that they were looking for in the first place. :D

Kidding aside, in most cases a track would make it much easier to answer the question. I wish people would give more information when they ask a question and supply a track whenever it's useful.

In my experience, when I try to write a good and complete question, it usually helps me find the answer myself so that I don't even need to ask the question anymore. And that's where I agree with you, it would be nice if people asked more complete questions, detailing what they did, what they expected and also where they already looked in order to find an answer.

Well, when I feel someone wastes my time by asking a question and didn't even bother to search the forum or peek at the manual, I usually try to un-waste my time by ignoring the question altogether and leave the inquirer to his misery. :devil_2:

Always felt that since it takes literally years for a real pilot to become proficient with every aspect of the particular aircraft they fly, it stands to reason that a similar amount of time will be required of those attempting to master a PFM simulated aircraft. One has to crawl before they can run, and there are any number of assists to help that "crawler" get their feet under them. But remember, it is also rewarding to be the provider of those "assists". That's simply what "Old Timers" do:smilewink: Wisdom is useless until you share it;)

Edited by Chief1942

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

First, the training videos do not teach you everything.

Second, you may run across how to do something in the training video, but when you start a mission, you might have forgotten how it's done (In this case, nose steering). It could be faster to turn to the forums or teamspeak for the answer, instead of re-watching a 15-20 min training video hoping this is the video with the answer.

• 1 month later...

Well, is it just me or steering A-10C on ground with differential breaking like what to do withMig-21 is just so much fun? lol

Edited by Eagle0110

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aircraft I have thoroughly studied: A-10C, Ka-50, Mig-21bis, UH-1H, Boeing 737-800/900, Dash-8Q400, Bell-407

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7-8750H@2.2GHz 6 Cores turbo up to 4.1GHz, GTX1070 Max-Q@8GB GRAM, 16G RAM, 512G SSD, 500G SSD, CH Product Fighter Stick, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5.

Most gamers like to get into things and try them out for themselves. Perhaps we need some more interactive tutorials on the basics.

More generally, for people just getting into flight sims, it's easy to forget how unfriendly to newbies the game is, even with the interactive training missions that the A-10C has. Doesn't seem that way to those of us who've been playing this stuff for a while, but if you haven't done much simming before, DCS can be very intimidating and overwhelming.

There's about a million different things you could forget while flying the sim, making the forums a friendly "no stupid question" zone is one of the best things we can do to help get new people excited about flight sims.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've seen some new folks on my server as well. Some don't understand that team killing is not tolerated, so my ban list has gotten a little bit longer.

---

As for the steering, you can see what your stick & throttle axis are doing by pressing RCntrl-Enter -- that brings up a window to show the positions.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.