Lifting the Huey

Peter22

Hi guys I am having problems with taking off lifting the heli from the ground....throttle and collective are setting in my warthog but the heli doesn't lift just move forward back etc...the liftoff is just not happening however I have under control in stable position....only in the instant action free flight (civil heli) the huey perform the take off perfect gaining altitude accordingly...I am missing something here?

sorry my ignorance

Peter

My Rig:I7 4790K OC to 4.5 GHz .Memory ram 16GB 64 Bit MOB Asus Maximus hero VII Nvidia NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 T Asus Monitor 4K at 3840x2160 Windos 10 64-bit on SDD 500 and DCS on separate SSD drive. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog CH pro pedals

If you attach a .trk file of your takeoff attempt, I'll take a look and try to spot what is going wrong.

hummm now you kill me how i ll do that?......:(

My Rig:I7 4790K OC to 4.5 GHz .Memory ram 16GB 64 Bit MOB Asus Maximus hero VII Nvidia NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 T Asus Monitor 4K at 3840x2160 Windos 10 64-bit on SDD 500 and DCS on separate SSD drive. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog CH pro pedals

After you end your flight, you should be at a debriefing screen showing a log of stuff that happened. At the bottom right of the log table is a "Save Track" button. Click that, then choose a name and location to save the file. By default it gets saved in C:\Users\[user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Tracks. Then attach that file to your forum post with the little paper clip symbol in the advanced posting mode.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

track

here you go hope you guys can see what I am doing wrong ...

regards

Peter

takeoff.trk

You were in hover torque.

from what i could tell by pressing ALt-Enter is that your collective was set to approx 70 percent. Your throttle was all the way open to auto so that is good.

I took control and pulled the collective further to 80/90 percent and i needed only slight forward motion to get off the ground.

Keep in mind that you always need to go forward. When your helo starts to shake it means it is getting the speed needed to get increased lift. this is when you can get altitude. remember that with landing that you need approx 70/75 percent collective to get in to a stable hover. Many make the mistake to descend and think OH NO i'm gonna hit the ground and then pull collective to 80 percent which when they nearly touch the ground because of the ground in effect bounces them back up!

anyway... just pull collective more and try to get forward momentum going. When you reach more than 40 knots i think you will start to ascend.

Here is your track which I took over. Mind i haven't flown the Huey in a while :) Bit rusty from all my KA-50 Flying.

take off huey and landing.trk

Edited by kingpinda

here you go hope you guys can see what I am doing wrong ...

regards

Peter

The problem is you are only raising the collective to about 70%. You should recalibrate your joystick throttle so that it is 100% at the end of its range.

You can get to your joystick calibration by searching "game controllers" in Windows Search. After you run that, select your joystick/throttle from the list. If there is not an option for calibration, select deadzones and adjust the edge sliders for your throttle until it detects the entire range of motion.

If you are not able to fix the problem that way, your second option is to use Axis Tune inside DCS. From the main menu click Options, select the Controls tab, select Aircraft:UH-1H Sim, select Category:Axis Commands, select Flight Control Collective (you must click in the joystick column), then select Axis Tune. You need to drag the "Saturation X" slider until you are able to get the red dot on the blue line all the way to the top and bottom of the graph.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VincentLaw is on the right track I figure though... Because with the civi heli you didnt have this problem. The civi heli is offcourse much lighter and would need less collective to take off.

So yeah probably your throttle/collective axis is not calibrated correctly.

• ED Team

Just remember that when you max out your collective, you might bleed your rotor RPM's. If you look at the dual tachometer and notice your rotor RPM's dropping (you'll hear the rotors slowing too), don't pull any more collective, it will make things worse. You have reached the power-producing limits of your engine, and need to reduce the collective slightly to regain the rotor RPM's back into the green range on the dual tachometer.

When heavily loaded, stay in ground effect until you get through effective translational lift (ETL, 16-24 knots) and keep accelerating. Your rotor system will become more efficient as you get above ETL and they will produce more total lift to get you into a climb.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

from what i could tell by pressing ALt-Enter is that your collective was set to approx 70 percent. Your throttle was all the way open to auto so that is good.

I took control and pulled the collective further to 80/90 percent and i needed only slight forward motion to get off the ground.

Keep in mind that you always need to go forward. When your helo starts to shake it means it is getting the speed needed to get increased lift. this is when you can get altitude. remember that with landing that you need approx 70/75 percent collective to get in to a stable hover. Many make the mistake to descend and think OH NO i'm gonna hit the ground and then pull collective to 80 percent which when they nearly touch the ground because of the ground in effect bounces them back up!

anyway... just pull collective more and try to get forward momentum going. When you reach more than 40 knots i think you will start to ascend.

Here is your track which I took over. Mind i haven't flown the Huey in a while :) Bit rusty from all my KA-50 Flying.

[ATTACH]120857[/ATTACH]

Ok cool I will give a try tonight ...I always have the suspicious that something was not wright with my axis calibration

The problem is you are only raising the collective to about 70%. You should recalibrate your joystick throttle so that it is 100% at the end of its range.

You can get to your joystick calibration by searching "game controllers" in Windows Search. After you run that, select your joystick/throttle from the list. If there is not an option for calibration, select deadzones and adjust the edge sliders for your throttle until it detects the entire range of motion.

If you are not able to fix the problem that way, your second option is to use Axis Tune inside DCS. From the main menu click Options, select the Controls tab, select Aircraft:UH-1H Sim, select Category:Axis Commands, select Flight Control Collective (you must click in the joystick column), then select Axis Tune. You need to drag the "Saturation X" slider until you are able to get the red dot on the blue line all the way to the top and bottom of the graph.

Perfect I will go over the axis calibration tonight

thanks

[ATTACH]120857[/ATTACH]

How you went from 70% to 80/90....(whats the key command) ...however I know I will have to touch the axis collective within my settings...

Thanks

Peter

Just remember that when you max out your collective, you might bleed your rotor RPM's. If you look at the dual tachometer and notice your rotor RPM's dropping (you'll hear the rotors slowing too), don't pull any more collective, it will make things worse. You have reached the power-producing limits of your engine, and need to reduce the collective slightly to regain the rotor RPM's back into the green range on the dual tachometer.

When heavily loaded, stay in ground effect until you get through effective translational lift (ETL, 16-24 knots) and keep accelerating. Your rotor system will become more efficient as you get above ETL and they will produce more total lift to get you into a climb.

Based on the behaviour described by OP and what you said, I think its a case of overload.

OP, try this:

In mission editor, reduce fuel by 20% and retry flying and report in. In Chickenhawk, a neat trick I learned as described by Mason was a right hand takeoff, where he used the right pedal to deliver 3-5 extra RPMs to the main rotor, so also try this.

The other thing is to keep the winds to your back. To find out the wind direction (blowing to), cancel takeoff by radioing F1 to tower, then request hover check, now turn around to get in that direction, this might help give you the extra knots needed.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Based on the behaviour described by OP and what you said, I think its a case of overload.

OP, try this:

In mission editor, reduce fuel by 20% and retry flying and report in. In Chickenhawk, a neat trick I learned as described by Mason was a right hand takeoff, where he used the right pedal to deliver 3-5 extra RPMs to the main rotor, so also try this.

The other thing is to keep the winds to your back. To find out the wind direction (blowing to), cancel takeoff by radioing F1 to tower, then request hover check, now turn around to get in that direction, this might help give you the extra knots needed.

Maybe you mean the same and Im misreading you, but dont keep the wind in your back. Takeoff with the wind on your nose.

http://1stcavdiv.conceptbb.com/

229th Air Cav, D Coy, Gunships

How you went from 70% to 80/90....(whats the key command) ...however I know I will have to touch the axis collective within my settings...

Thanks

Peter

Watched you track.

You are simply not using enough collective pitch.

The key command for collective increase is Num+

Fox

erm I was under the impression you used a throttle axis bound to the collective. I simply pulled my throttle further back (inverted settings in axis tune to emulate helo style collective).

If you don't use a Throttle Device then yeah Num+ is the key command I believe...

can you explain this drag saturation X all the way to top and bottom of yhr graph...is to the top or to the bottom...I am confuse here..:(

can you explain this drag saturation X all the way to top and bottom of yhr graph...is to the top or to the bottom...I am confuse here..:(
Okay, I made a picture guide. As you move the throttle on your joystick (the collective in-game), you should see this little red dot sliding along the diagonal line. I circled the dot.

tjwU3B8.jpg

As you max out your throttle, it should approach the end of the line. if it stops somewhere in the middle like right here, then you have a problem.

8VKDSfk.jpg

you can fix that problem by moving the Saturation X slider. You want to move that slider until the red dot hits the edge of the graph like this. A Saturation X of 70 will probably work for you.

fa8F9Je.jpg

Slide your throttle from maximum to minimum and make sure the red dot can travel all the way to the top and bottom of the diagonal line.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okay, I made a picture guide. As you move the throttle on your joystick (the collective in-game), you should see this little red dot sliding along the diagonal line. I circled the dot.

tjwU3B8.jpg

As you max out your throttle, it should approach the end of the line. if it stops somewhere in the middle like right here, then you have a problem.

8VKDSfk.jpg

you can fix that problem by moving the Saturation X slider. You want to move that slider until the red dot hits the edge of the graph like this. A Saturation X of 70 will probably work for you.

fa8F9Je.jpg

Slide your throttle from maximum to minimum and make sure the red dot can travel all the way to the top and bottom of the diagonal line.

Ok let me try that.....I will report tonight

Ok let me try that.....I will report tonight

seems I just to set that extar power num+ ..some hoe I have to set in my warthog

seems I just to set that extar power num+ ..some hoe I have to set in my warthog
Sorry, but I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. You should not have to press any keys on your keyboard to raise your collective. To configure your joystick you want to look at the control settings under "Axis Commands", not under "INS Collective Stick".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just making sure here. I remember when I first downloaded Huey, *throttle* was mapped to the Warthog's throttle. It should be *collective* that's mapped to the throttle and not throttle.

Just double check that.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Sorry, but I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. You should not have to press any keys on your keyboard to raise your collective. To configure your joystick you want to look at the control settings under "Axis Commands", not under "INS Collective Stick".

ok this is what I have: UH-1H SIM/ axis assign/Flight control collective :Joy_Z...throttle: Joy_slider1......they are both deadzone 0 saturationX 100 saturationY 100 curvature 0.....the thing is that to lift the heli I need extra power that i can only get with num+...is there a way to integrate that num+ to the throttle?...

I am lost here

Thanks

Peter

i forgot to mention I have hotas warthog

ok i think I got it saturation X of the collective move down from 100 to 60...is working now better

Thanks everyone

Peter

• ED Team

Peter22, glad you're making progress.

I watched the track you initially uploaded, and here are some recommendations.

1) To simulate wear and tear on UH-1/Mi-8 engines, Belsimtek allows the engine to degrade over time, or with overuse. When placing a UH-1 or Mi-8 on the map in mission editor, the engine resource slider always defaults to 90%. I looked at your track file and the Huey slot is indeed at 90% health, so your engine wasn't performing as well as it could. I would recommend putting it to full. It will be the last tab in the Helicopter Group edit box.

2) For practice flights, I would recommend taking less weapons. With miniguns and 7-round rocket pods, the gross weight is over a 1000 pounds higher, which is a substantial increase in load for a single-engine helicopter.

3) Practice taking off into the wind while in ground effect until you get above 25 knots (past ETL). This requires less power and will get you used to the maneuver when carrying those heavy weapons loads.

Happy flying :pilotfly:

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head