Operation Bactria (MP COOP 14), Afghanistan CAS

I just read that any mission involving group activation/deactivation in v1.2.5 will crash immediately. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do at the moment to fix this issue. A hotfix for v1.2.5 will have to be released. Thank you for your reports.

Habu

Edited by Habu23

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

K hot fix works but can't raise jtac after returning to IP for more tasking

I'm glad the mission is working as intended. When you returned to the IP, was the tasking complete and did you receive explicit clearance to return? It's likely that the tasking was not actually finished.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Question:

Is it possible to make all radiocalls on specific freqs?

That will make the workload for the pilot higher and even more realistic.

Example: AWACS on freq: xxx.xxx tasking X at coordinates 37T EH ...... contact FAC or groundcommander on freq :xxx.xxx .

Only switching to the right freq gives you the AO update and/or attack guidance at tasking X. When the attack is done (no further tasking) and you can leave the target area back to CP or IP, you have to switch back to AWACS freq to get the new tasking at Y, with new freq of the FAC or GC etc.

In short, if you are not on the right freq, you don't get any tasking or attack guidance.

Normally you can have one radio tuned in on the AWACS freq, one radio for the taskings, and one for your flight.

Looking forward to your answer.

Edited by sUrge0n

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]- I5 3570K @4.2ghz | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel® Thermal Solution RTS2011LC | G.Skill Ares 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | MSI N760 2GD5/OC ITX| 2x Corsair CSSD-F60GBGT-BK | Western Digital WD10EALX 1TB | HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 | Win 7

@Mulishaknight, I found out the problem. It turns out that the trigger assigned to detecting the destroyed targets was not registering because the condition was "Group Dead". This should normally work as it did back in v1.2.3, but now it doesn't. Changing it to "Unit Dead" seemed to fix the issue. Please read below.

@Surgeon, yes this is possible due to a new trigger called "Radio Transmission". When I built this mission with standalone v1.1.1.1, this trigger did not exist. I could try to implement this idea in the current build of Op. Bactria, but I would literally have to redo the entire mission. I am currently working on a mission concept that will use what you described while combining the randomization framework of Op. Bactria. This mission is intended for a Nevada release and will have to wait until we finally have access to it.

@Everyone, due to the issue that mulishaknight experienced and an additional bug I found while playing through the mission, I'm planning on releasing a small update hopefully by this weekend. No new content will be added, but I will include a new feature that adds a radio action option with the grid of the current tasking in case it was not written down, copied incorrectly, or if the task briefing disappeared before CDU entry. I have also moved some units around slightly to improve gameplay. Stay tuned later this week.

Habu

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operation Bactria v3.1 Released!

Download Link, v3.1

Compatible with DCS: World v1.2.5

Hello all,

Last night I uploaded a new version of Op. Bactria into the user files section of the ED website, and only now have I found enough time to inform everyone of this patch! I'm not a big fan of having to issue patches because I prefer to release large, complete updates that are properly tested and add new content. I first considered issuing a patch to bring v1 to v1.5, but I scrubbed this attempt and made v2.0 by adding additional content. So far, this is the first "maintenance patch" I have ever issued (and hopefully the last). Despite my best efforts, I recently discovered that a task in Pig Flight would not properly end. The problem was quickly resolved when I discovered that a flag was set to "false" when it should have been "true". Others also reported that a task in the two-ship Boar flight was also broken. For some strange reason the "group dead" condition has historically led to problems in missions after a few DCS patches. I experienced this issue for the first time during Op. Bactria v1 so I switched most of the "group dead" evaluations to "unit dead". When I added Boar flight in Op. Bactria v2, I mistakenly reused the "group dead" condition again, planting the seed for future problems. The task worked fine in v1.2.3, but after 1.2.5, it failed to work for no apparent reason. I read in the recent ED patch notes that the "group dead" condition had been fixed, but to avoid any future problems, I have abandoned "group dead" in favor of "unit dead" when it comes to single targets.

Because this is a small patch, no additional content was made but I did add a new feature that allows players to reference the grid of the current tasking by simply using the F10 radio command option. These entries will automatically be removed and updated appropriately as the mission progresses. A frequently requested feature since v1, my hope is that it will eliminate people from having to hastily scribble down the grids given by AWACS so that they can enjoy the ambiance of the mission and the briefing. I also enhanced gameplay slightly by moving some units around. Occasionally, some groups of enemy were not firing as much as they should have. These problems should be fixed now.

I would like to remind everyone that development of Op. Bactria will probably halt as the file size is at a maximum (9.44MB to accommodate 171 voice files). I am currently working on a new mission that will utilize the concept of Op. Bactria but will unfortunately have to wait until the Nevada theater is released.

As always, I sincerely appreciate any and all feedback and please keep me updated about problems or bugs. I'm about to embark upon another "DCS dark age" for several months where I will be away from my main computer, so please bring me up to speed whenever there is a new DCS patch regarding the mission.

Habu

Edited by Habu23

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Multi-player teamwork

Hi Habu,

I've read through all 19 pages on this thread - I'll add my own input (limited in scope and capability as it is) - very good! That's an understatement, and multiply several times over... I noticed that the last post is back in August so don't know how current you are interested in bug reporting, but I'll add my own observations and hopefully there will be someone that could set us straight:

1) joining the flight on the ramp - my buddy will host the server on a dedicated computer, He'll join pig "11" or hawg "11", I'll join as "12". When communicating with tower, we'll both be referred to as "11", for example as we taxi to runway, we'll hear "11 unable to taxi" or "hold short" - usually if we're too close together while taxiing, or even as we radio request taxi to runway the dialogue comes up we're both "11"...

2) When we reach the IP, and get the call up from JTAC, the responding dialogue reads as "1 x A-10" instead of "2 x A-10" as expected when we're both in formation...

3) Who does the actual call to JTAC? Does "11" become flight leader and therefore do all the comms work and the wingman just follow along and participate in target elimination? I found that when my friend in "11" does the initial call-up, tasking is provided, if I call up afterwards, "no further tasking, have a nice day"...

Again, great mission setup. I read the example trigger setup you posted near the beginning of this thread... way over my head! I salute you guys that can understand all this stuff. Its what gives these simulations their "realism" factor.

Hi CrazyD,

Thank for your comments and kind words. I'm not sure about the "11", but it was my intention that they be identified differently "11, 12, 13, and 14". If you are flying the two-ship Boar flight with the in-game JTAC, this is an issue with the DCS simulation whereby client groups are individual ones rather than a collective "four ship". The mission was designed to be flown cooperatively in multiplayer. If your flight lead calls in to the JTAC, just treat his remarks as applying to you all, although the AI JTAC will not make this explicitly clear. Once the JTAC has been called on a specific task, it will not issue any more tasking until that one is complete.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Habu,

Thanks for quick response. In regards to flight numbers when picking from spectators into the groups, for example boar 11, boar 12 - when we are ready to taxi, calls to and from atc (as well as JTAC) refer to both of us as "boar 11", despite me being in "boar 12". Are we to treat the comms as flight leader simply speaks for both of us and we both do everything in unison? Not always practical when we're trying to land and ATC says "boar 11 orbit" or "clear to land", well, which one of us is being cleared and which is being told to orbit? No big deal, really - its all still enjoyable.

Still have lots to figure out, though. We left the mission area to RTB for repairs and when returned to pick up where left off, was unable to make contact with JTAC, no matter which of us was trying to make contact. We could hear each other make the calls - just no response. But we don't know if its our lack of experience, or a bug. Again, no biggie...

To be honest Boar flight was designed to accommodate singleton pilots and two-ships who want to interact with the DCS JTAC. Unfortunately every patch seems to impact these AI JTAC's one way or the other. For a much more engaged and authentic experience, try Tusk flight and Hawg/Pig in that order.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Habu23,

may this entry for the wiki I put some time ago will solve the problem:

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Cloning/copy_flights_or_groups

refer to the point "Creating correct callsigns for multiplayer clients".

Not sure if the ATC isn't bugged completely, now, but in the past it would use the callsigns like they were set in the ME. With the little trick it worked for me.:D

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hi Habu23,

may this entry for the wiki I put some time ago will solve the problem:

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Cloning/copy_flights_or_groups

refer to the point "Creating correct callsigns for multiplayer clients".

Not sure if the ATC isn't bugged completely, now, but in the past it would use the callsigns like they were set in the ME. With the little trick it worked for me.:D

I didn't realize that you wrote that, shagrat. It's a great find, and it explains how I was able to do this accidentally in a previous instance. However, it doesn't appear to be working in 1.2.6; as soon as I go from 2 of 2 to 1 of 1 (i.e. deleting the second aircraft in the flight), the callsign is listed as <whatever> 2-1.

I didn't realize that you wrote that, shagrat. It's a great find, and it explains how I was able to do this accidentally in a previous instance. However, it doesn't appear to be working in 1.2.6; as soon as I go from 2 of 2 to 1 of 1 (i.e. deleting the second aircraft in the flight), the callsign is listed as <whatever> 2-1.

I'll check this. Did work since DCS A-10C beta. If this is broken, that's bad...:huh:

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

They broke it!!! :doh: No longer possible to trick the ME into correct Callsigns...

Now we have lots of Hawg 11 planes on the map or utterly unrealistic single plane flights without Wingmen!!!

Great! Definitely a fix a could have missed entirely...damn:mad:

Shagrat

You can directly open the file "mission" in the miz archive and search for the following string:

["callsign"] =

You will then see something like this:

["callsign"] = 
                                       {
                                           [1] = 12,
                                           [2] = 2,
                                           [3] = 1,
                                           ["name"] = "Tusk21",
                                       }, -- end of ["callsign"]

Just change replace brackets [2] and [3] and ["name"] to the following:

["callsign"] = 
                                       {
                                           [1] = 12,
                                           [2] = 1,
                                           [3] = 2,
                                           ["name"] = "Tusk12",
                                       }, -- end of ["callsign"]

:thumbup:

• 3 months later...

I noticed today that someone was hosting OP Bactria but changed the name to OP Hogstorm with no credit given to you for having created it. Considering the long hours that people like yourself and others have donated to the MP community I think it's a real shame that they couldn't have at least given you credit for creating it. By the way, IMO it's still one of the best missions out there and I still enjoy flying it with my buddies.

• 2 weeks later...

Operation Bactria (MP COOP 14), Afghanistan CAS

Without having read 200 posts I'd like to ask if the SP and MP are currently updated and playable in 1.2.7? If so, where can I find them?

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory