add naval units?

Ripcord

Suppose I have a really good model of a ship in 3D MAX... and I want to add that thing into DCS World. Would there be a way to use existing entries for existing ships, say the Perry-class frigate, and then go back and modify those parameters to pick up the new model, new characteristics, weapons load, etc?

Ripcord

[sIGPIC]sigpic65507_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Let's not do any more file-overwriting than is needed. There must be a way to do this via the mods folder. I think if you follow the T-34 example and change everything appropriately (ie, WSTypes) it will work. I've got a ship I need to add eventually, if I get around to it soon I'll post results.

There is no need to overwrite existing ship entries nor to go through complicated procedures to add new ones.

The code already contains multiple unused CLSIDs for ships left from the days of Flanker(which had some 29 ship slots).

These can be activated in FC2 - I don't know if this is also the case with DCS World, but I assume it is.

JJ

I think new ship for France navy.....:)

Exactly aircraft carriers is a problem, because these entries have some additional code concerning flight operations/deck routines assigned to them.

Only the "Vinson" and "Kuznetsov" slots have these and they are "tailored" for each of those types, so even if you can find a way to associate other ship slots with those "routines", they will not fit a vessel of different size and configuration such as the Charles de Gaulle.

JJ

Some time back I added some 9 ships to FC2 and if you know how to its not a big deal..

No you just need to understand how to write the scripts concerning proper armament assignment.

The CLSIDs to use can be found in the Meinit.xml of older Lock-on versions - they are in hex format, but its easy to convert them to the decimal format used in the FC2 scripts.....and its not even necessary as the hex format works ok in the FC2 scripts.

JJ

Exactly aircraft carriers is a problem, because these entries have some additional code concerning flight operations/deck routines assigned to them.

Only the "Vinson" and "Kuznetsov" slots have these and they are "tailored" for each of those types, so even if you can find a way to associate other ship slots with those "routines", they will not fit a vessel of different size and configuration such as the Charles de Gaulle.

Last few lines in the ships configuration file will do it all I think.

No you just need to understand how to write the scripts concerning proper armament assignment.

The CLSIDs to use can be found in the Meinit.xml of older Lock-on versions - they are in hex format, but its easy to convert them to the decimal format used in the FC2 scripts.....and its not even necessary as the hex format works ok in the FC2 scripts.

Sounds like you're way out of date here Alfa. Best not to assume things are the same between Flaming Cliffs and DCS:World.

Sounds like you're way out of date here Alfa.

I am certainly "out of date" on many things concerning the sim these days, but exactly this I am pretty confident about.

What we are talking about here are CLSIDs for active game entries - entries that have been sitting in the code since Flanker through all iterations of Lock-on as well as DCS: Black Shark and FC2.

Now it is of course possible that for some mysterious reason, Eagle decided to remove these ship entries from the code with the progression from Black Shark to DCS: A-10C or DCS: World, but I seriously doubt it. :)

For a start there would be absolutely no reason for it and Eagle is quite particular about not allocating development time to aspects that aren't in the focus of the immedeate project - even the active naval contingent in the sim is clearly in a state of "WIP".

Best not to assume things are the same between Flaming Cliffs and DCS:World.

Why - whats the big "danger" in that? :D . Again we are not talking about "things", but about something very specific - namely particular ID addresses left in the code to which additional ship scripts can be assigned.

Besides, it would be pretty simple to test whether I am right or not - just copy one of the existing ship scripts, replace the IDs with one of the old inactive slots and then add this "new" entry to the database.....then see what happens.

Edited by Alfa

JJ

There is no need to overwrite existing ship entries nor to go through complicated procedures to add new ones.

The code already contains multiple unused CLSIDs for ships left from the days of Flanker(which had some 29 ship slots).

These can be activated in FC2 - I don't know if this is also the case with DCS World, but I assume it is.

Excellent info, thanks!

Sounds like you're way out of date here Alfa. Best not to assume things are the same between Flaming Cliffs and DCS:World.

Hmmmm... this thread isn't intended to be an old testament scripture on how to add ships in DCS World, merely an informal exchange of ideas and helpful hints -- which is what Alfa has done here. Don't think he's made any statements of fact, he does not prefess to KNOW 100% that nothing has changed from FC to current DCS, he assumes that it might well be the case. No harm done there. At least offered this thought, which nobody else had done BEFORE him in this thread -- other than to suggest that overwriting is bad (we can probably all agree on that).

EDIT: for the record, I was not looking to try and add anything major like CDG or another aircraft carrier. It makes far more sense to learn to walk before we try to run -- just some simple frigate or destroyer or something.

Edited by Ripcord
clarification on carriers
  • Like 2

Let's not do any more file-overwriting than is needed. There must be a way to do this via the mods folder. I think if you follow the T-34 example and change everything appropriately (ie, WSTypes) it will work. I've got a ship I need to add eventually, if I get around to it soon I'll post results.

Hey great! Please share your results and tell us more about that ship you plan to add -- intersting stuff!

Here is an simple ship example analogous to the tank example. The lua file is a changed version of ticonderoga.

Everything related to the guns, missiles etc. is commented out. I'm not yet at that point.

The ship appears in the mission editor without overwriting existing ones.

The only problem is the assignment to a country. (I think it can be done by editing the entry "GT.mapclasskey")

(no .edm included)

Type45.zip

Very nice -- we need some Royal Navy content in this sim.

So looking at your zip folder, this just 'creates' a new placeholder, essentially it's just another Tico class CG at this point, but it DOES appear in the sim you say!!? -- well done.... you can add the new 3-d model later, I imagine, so this is just proof of concept at this stage.

Do we even have any ships for the UK in the sim, other than the dreaded armed speedboat? Need to check... Nope, that's it, only HMS Speedboat for now.

Please keep posting and documenting your progress, so that others will have a sort of roadmap to follow. Thanks for sharing this.

Edited by Ripcord

Ugene, where did you place those files/folders within the directory? Did you put them someplace in the MODS folder or over in Scripts or someplace else?

Here is why I ask -- I notice that the MODS folder consists of two folders -- one for aircraft and one called TECH, which contains Combined Arms (eg, ground units). Nothing for ships. Alex O'Kean refers to this in his sticky thread called How to Create Your Own Plugin from Scratch...... http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89164

I believe you would need to modify the DB_Countries.lua file in order to add a ship to a particularly country. This file is in Scrips/Database folder, not in the MODS folder. This is a concern because it will be ungodly mess if each ship mod puts it's own edited re-write of this file....

Just put the folder type45 into the mods/tech folder. The folder will than also be scanned. Except aircrafts, everything is handled as surface unit I think.

To check the result ingame, just copy the ticonderoga edms to the type45/shapes folder and rename them to type45.edm, etc.

• Like 1

I have a little problem adding other units.

I added Type 23 and 42 using the Type 45 template, but I go to added G class and F-80 class frigate bassed on FFG-7 o.h.perry and no work

I put the type 45 into type45 directory to improve them. I put the G Class .lua

-- G class Frigate -- Oliver Perry FFG-7CL (OLIVER HAZARD PERRY Class Frigate) FFG-7 - FF-61

mount_vfs_model_path (current_mod_path.."/Shapes")

--mount_vfs_liveries_path (current_mod_path.."/Liveries")

mount_vfs_texture_path (current_mod_path.."/Textures/G_Class")

GT = {};

GT_t.ws = 0;

set_recursive_metatable(GT, GT_t.generic_ship)

GT.visual = {}

GT.visual.shape = "G_Class"

GT.visual.shape_dstr = ""

GT.life = 2100

GT.mass = 4.1e+006

GT.max_velocity = 14.9189

GT.race_velocity = 14.9189

GT.economy_velocity = 10.2889

GT.economy_distance = 8.334e+006

GT.race_distance = 2.778e+006

GT.shipLength = 137.5

GT.Width = 13.5

GT.Height = 31.5

GT.Length = 137.5

GT.DeckLevel = 5.8

GT.X_nose = 59.1924

GT.X_tail = -64.9268

GT.Tail_Width = 13.5

GT.Gamma_max = 0.35

GT.Om = 0.05

GT.speedup = 0.269786

GT.R_min = 275

GT.distFindObstacles = 462.5

GT.numParking = 1

GT.Plane_Num_ = 0

GT.Helicopter_Num_ = 2

GT.airWeaponDist = 100000

GT.airFindDist = 150000

GT.Landing_Point = {-55.3, 4.73, 0.0};

-- weapon systems

GT.WS = {}

local ws;

GT.WS.maxTargetDetectionRange = 450000;

GT.WS.radar_type = 102

GT.Name = "G_CLASS"

GT.DisplayName = _("FFG G Class class")

GT.Rate = 2500

GT.Sensors = { OPTIC = {"long-range naval optics"},

RADAR = {

"Patriot str",

"perry search radar",

}

}

GT.DetectionRange = GT.airFindDist;

GT.ThreatRange = GT.airWeaponDist;

GT.Singleton ="no";

GT.mapclasskey = "P0091000069";

GT.attribute = {wsType_Navy,wsType_Ship,wsType_ArmedShip,PERRY,

"Frigates",

"RADAR_BAND1_FOR_ARM",

"DetectionByAWACS",

};

GT.Categories = {

{name = "Armed Ship"},

{name = "HelicopterCarrier"}

};

I erase the weapons, but the G class no appears. put all ships on ZIP compressed attach archive. Only need unzip into MODS directory.

NATO navy.rar