July 2016 Dev Update

Hey Guys,

Apologies for the delay in getting an update out to you, we have been very busy with various air shows and demonstrations over the past couple of months.

Thank you to those that came to Legends to check out the P-40F. We hope you like the new cockpit re-model and textures, especially in VR. Gibbage has done an awesome job on the textures and we can't wait to show off some of his other work on other aircraft soon.

Also the team had a great weekend at North Weald showing off DCS and of course the P-40F.

A slightly different crowd to Dux in that most had not even seen flight simulators and the reception was excellent. Thanks to the organisers for inviting us to come along.

If you missed coming to Legends or North Weald then we'll be back at the September air show at Duxford on September 10/11 (The Duxford Air Show: Meet The Fighters).

Click below for details of the show and for tickets.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-duxford/airshows/2016/the-duxford-air-show

We will of course be in TFC's hangar 2 for the weekend and the team look forward to seeing you if you do come.

I'll be taking the weekend off to enjoy the air show with my kids but will still be around at times on the Saturday to say Hi.

The team will be there all weekend, hopefully with the Oculus Rift.

Our friend Fudge was down at the FSC Weston show last weekend and Pete, Rob and I, along with Coxy from the forums, popped down on the Saturday to show our support.

Fudge has an excellent working ME-109 cockpit you can sit in and fly around in DCS with and we had great fun with that.

Many thanks to Fudge also for showing typical FSX and X-plane pilots the beauty of DCS.

So on to development, let's get down to business...

Hawk has had it's weapons systems logic re-written and in all tests and trials it seems to be working ok. We've not seen any posts about it still not working since the 1.5.4 patch and the update will be coming to 2.0 very soon.

Just to clarify, the selector will now only release weapons of that particular type from the wing you have selected or both if both switches for port and starboard are set to on.

RP = Rocket Pods

B = Bombs

PB = Practice Bombs

We are still looking into the smoke system as this now has to be classed as a weapon to be able to release it. We'll let you know when that's sorted in a future patch.

DCS 2.0 will get a big update for Hawk bringing both versions of DCS up to date on functionality, namely the following:

Falling-out-the-sky issue resolved.

W key fixed – both toe brakes on.

Fuel burn refined.

Sight glass 3D object fixed – work in progress.

Sight glass holders transparency fixed.

TrackIR view limits set.

Canopy glass external model more transparent.

Brake pressure increased to hold aircraft on full power.

Parking brake keyboard and joystick shortcuts set (LCTRL+W = off, RCTRL+W = on).

Flaps changed default to F = next detent, LSHIFT+F = previous detent and renamed to Flaps group.

Controls indicator now shows with RCtrl+Enter (WIP).

Weapons selector has been fixed.

Flaps and gear down affect flight model better.

Rudder yaw sensitivity has been tweaked.

Aden gun pod texture updated.

We are still working on the ILS for NTTR airfields and as soon as this is resolved I'll post up a separate post with the text file to overwrite. Apologies this did not make the patch I simply ran out of time to get it fixed before the build.

Moving on with Hawk bugs; next on the list is AHRS topple and Hydraulics pressure bleed.

These are working out to be a little trickier to resolve (due to their complexity) and didn't make the patches in time.

We are still working through them and keep an eye out for patch notes on these.

Once they are resolved we can move onto the lesser priority bugs.

The EFM is undergoing a review internally and externally so expect tweaks to come in future patches, again look out for the patch notes on any changes.

Due to business and military NDA's we cannot comment further on this.

Once Hawk is out of Beta stage it does not mean that work will stop on it. Quite the contrary.

It means I will have a little breathing space to review what we've learnt over the past few years, what changes have come with DCS and what is yet to come with DCS in the future and then look at enhancing the module for those changes.

P-40F development is speeding along; the majority of the ASM functions are working and the EFM is being tested by the numbers.

When I get back from holiday next week one of my tasks is to work on the gun sight functionality and I'm looking forward to test flying some combat very soon afterwards.

Many thanks to Chuck for his Mudspike review of P-40F and we hope you like the module as much as he does.

If you missed the review, here is the link:

http://www.mudspike.com/qa-with-veao-p-40f-preview/

Keep an eye out in the future for more videos, screens, livestreams, etc.

Other modules are in various stages of development and a lot of them have moved on to the next phase; so a 3D model is complete and gone to the texture artists, animations are being worked on another, coding has started on another, flight model on that one, Etc.

As we've mentioned in the past we are now only going to discuss released modules and the next upcoming module. This keeps the team, Pman and myself focused on working on the next upcoming module rather than answering questions on future ones.

Whilst this I'm sure it's something you don't want to hear, it is necessary for us to commit time to working on and testing builds rather than spending a large amount of time answering forum posts. You may have already noticed a slow down in our responses, this is why.

We will of course post up occasional answers when we have the time to.

You, our community, are very important to us and your enthusiasm is what drives us to make high quality modules for DCS.

Your feedback is important and we do read every post put up, even if we don't answer or comment on it, keep them coming.

Many thanks for your continued support,

Chris, Pete and the team.

Edited by Ells228

Yes, thank you very much for the update and I'm looking forward to getting back into the Hawk on the NTTR map! Enjoy your holiday, Chris!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Thanks for the update! :thumbup:

As we've mentioned in the past we are now only going to discuss released modules and the next upcoming module. This keeps the team, Pman and myself focused on working on the next upcoming module rather than answering questions on future ones.

Whilst this I'm sure it's something you don't want to hear, it is necessary for us to commit time to working on and testing builds rather than spending a large amount of time answering forum posts. You may have already noticed a slow down in our responses, this is why.

That is indeed something I don't like to hear, because I'm especially interested in the later modules, but it's totally reasonable and understandable :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Wooo! Thanks for the update. By any chance, can we get a video of the P-40 for those of us that cannot make the events that you attend? The pictures are great, but a nice video would be cool too. Thanks and keep up the good work :)

Chuck is chomping at the bit to do a video but we need to add a couple more things in before we want to give it to him :pilotfly:

Damn, I was going to fly into the north Weald flyin and so I wish I had now!!

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Thanks for the update, I'll be making the jump across the pond in September and heading to duxford to check out that P-40!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

Are you going to lock down the sub forum sections then up until each one of those becomes the next module?

It would make sense if we're now only limited to discussion on released or the very next module.

No, we can discuss what we like. We just won't hear any info from the developers. And who can blame Ells for this decision.

It says a lot about the forum that we bring this upon ourselves.

+1 Yup i dont blame them for doing a leatherneck and Belsimtek stay silent, We ruined by bashing lol

Absolutely not, please keep discussing our projects and we'll answer when we can :)

Both Pete and I need to concentrate on the modules as we both work on different parts of the mod and keep responding to forums just takes too much time.

Cheers,

Chris.