Any tutorial on ATC because I am totally stuck?

I am stuck on something and it may just be something really simple to someone else. I am quite new to this so forgive me if it's so obvious what to do. When I am ready for choosing a runway to land at I have normally just found the nearest one using the ILS and just headed there hoping I see a runway to land on. Obviously, I don't want to do this so then I tried using the ATC to land me at the runway of my choice, I thought it would be so easy.

I call ATC and ask for Azimuth and am told "ATC Batumi ADF your heading 225." Okay, I'll do that I think, but first of what is ADF? And I presume ATC is asking me to come to a heading of 255 to reach my destination? The problem with this is that nothing matches up when I look on the ILS, and I'm not sure if this is because it's totally separate when using ATC to get you to the runway?

I then ask ATC for inbound since nothing makes sense to me at this point. ATC tells me to "fly heading 225 for 80 QFE 29.69 runway 13 to pattern altitude - WHAT? So I fly to a heading what I think is 225, but how am I to know when I have done 80 miles because the ILS is reading something completely different? Am I suppose to guess when I have done 80 miles or will the tower contact me when I have? And what is QFE and pattern to runway suppose to mean?

I would really appreciate someone giving me a heads up here because I cannot work this out. Either that or point me to a very simple tutorial. Also, does 03, 04 etc mean 30, 40 and 10 been 100?

Edited by Dudester22
  • Like 1

I am stuck on something and it may just be something really simple to someone else. I am quite new to this so forgive me if it's so obvious what to do. When I am ready for choosing a runway to land at I have normally just found the nearest one using the ILS and just headed there hoping I see a runway to land on. Obviously, I don't want to do this so then I tried using the ATC to land me at the runway of my choice, I thought it would be so easy.

I call ATC and ask for Azimuth and am told "ATC Batumi ADF your heading 225." Okay, I'll do that I think, but first of what is ADF? And I presume ATC is asking me to come to a heading of 255 to reach my destination? The problem with this is that nothing matches up when I look on the ILS, and I'm not sure if this is because it's totally separate when using ATC to get you to the runway?

I then ask ATC for inbound since nothing makes sense to me at this point. ATC tells me to "fly heading 225 for 80 QFE 29.69 runway 13 to pattern altitude - WHAT? So I fly to a heading what I think is 225, but how am I to know when I have done 80 miles because the ILS is reading something completely different? Am I suppose to guess when I have done 80 miles or will the tower contact me when I have? And what is QFE and pattern to runway suppose to mean?

I would really appreciate someone giving me a heads up here because I cannot work this out. Either that or point me to a very simple tutorial. Also, does 03, 04 etc mean 30, 40 and 10 been 100?

does 03, 04 etc mean 30, 40 and 10 been 100

Yes

I then ask ATC for inbound since nothing makes sense to me at this point. ATC tells me to "fly heading 225 for 80 QFE 29.69 runway 13 to pattern altitude - WHAT?

If you're flying a Russian plane you will not have any navigation challenges as all the runways are mapped on the HDD with course lines and distance to enroute or return or landing mode which captures the ILS. See page 60 DCS FC3 manual.

If you're in the F-15c then you need to brush up on the use of the HSI in conjunction with ATC as the 2 are necessary for navigation to the pattern and runway.

Calling in for Azimuth I believe will get you a vector to the runway. Calling Inbound will get you info that will place you in the pattern and again the HSI will be important.

Edited by fitness88

"ATC Batumi ADF your heading 225."

This means that to intercept the runway entry point you need to fly to a heading of 225

"fly heading 225 for 80 QFE 29.69 runway 13 to pattern altitude"

This means that to intercept the runway entry point (runway number 13 ) you will have to fly 80nm. QFE 29.69 is the local pressure (so you can set your altimeter right, but this is not possible with FC aircrafts). The pattern altitude varies between around 2500 ft and 3000 ft depending on the airports, but this isn't a really useful information for now.

Edited by Rincevent

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese? Charles De Gaulle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thankyou for replies they suddenly made me realize I have to use both ATC and HSI combined. So basically what I do now is call ATC and ask for inbound. Once they give me this I quickly cycle through the ILS Nav points to give me the same miles and direction. Would you say this is right or should I just use the HSI and the ATC?

To be honest I say forget the ATC. The only two things it is useful for is getting "QFE" (actually it should be QNH) and wind direction.

I am starting to think that myself after experiencing something else. I just asked ATC to land at a runway and they gave me the go ahead. Then just as I lined up with the runway they told me it wasn't clear and to go around. Fair enough if there had been anything on the runway, but there wasn't and I landed in anycase lol.

Thankyou for replies they suddenly made me realize I have to use both ATC and HSI combined. So basically what I do now is call ATC and ask for inbound. Once they give me this I quickly cycle through the ILS Nav points to give me the same miles and direction. Would you say this is right or should I just use the HSI and the ATC?

That's exactly what I do and it works well.

info from the net:

When QNE is selected, the altimeter will display pressure altitude, which is actual altitude corrected for non-standard pressure. (i.e. if pressure is lower than standard, pressure altitude is higher)

When QNH is selected, the altimeter will display your actual height above sea level.

When QFE is selected, the altimeter will show your height above the ground. (Will show "0" on the ground)

Edited by fitness88

A number of countries use QFE in the terminal area instead of QNH.

Yes, but if you note your altitude after setting the altimeter the value given by the ATC as "QFE" in DCS is actually a QNH value.

info from the net:

When QNE is selected, the altimeter will display pressure altitude, which is actual altitude corrected for non-standard pressure. (i.e. if pressure is lower than standard, pressure altitude is higher)

I thought QNE was set at 29.92?

• 2 years later...
Yes, but if you note your altitude after setting the altimeter the value given by the ATC as "QFE" in DCS is actually a QNH value.

What? Really? That would be very nice. So you say that when ATC says QFE is actually a QNH? So if a set the value they say then my altimeter will show for example in Vaziani 1492 ft??? I will test this tonight.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

The phraseology is completely WRONG from ATC.

The whole thing should go as follows.

You: "Batumi Approach, Enfield two-one, two-one miles south west of Krymsk, squawking two-one-one-six, request I-L-S approach runway one niner."

ATC: "Enfield two-one Batumi Approach, RADAR contact two-one miles south west of Krymsk, squawk three-one-two-fife, turn left heading two-two-zero to intercept the I-L-S localizer, descend and maintain two-thousand, report when established on the localizer."

You: Parrot what they instructed you to to do (read back).

You are then established some time later.....

ATC: "Report fife miles."

You: "Fife miles."

ATC: "Wind one-seven-zero at six, runway one niner, cleared I-L-S approach. At three D-M-E contact tower three four zero point two.

You: "Three D-M-E switching."

at least that's how I remember it. I haven keyed up in a TRACON in fife years.

Yes 'FIFE', that is how we say Five in ATC as to not confuse the pilot with Nine. Sometime transmissions are weak and or garbled and or a combination of both.

My experience 9.5 years US Navy ATC. 15.5 yrs total service.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NEED DESIGN PROJECTS FOR YOUR CAMPAIGNS? PM ME.

Click my sig that will get you on the 132nd website if you like what you see there consider applying (we play in EU TZ though). We always fly with human ATC

I applied and got this message. Everything else worked though.

8 Undefined index: unit_select /var/www/132web/handlers/page/register.php 41

I applied for the 'Eyes of the North' 176th Sqn

Edited by SPEKTRE76

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NEED DESIGN PROJECTS FOR YOUR CAMPAIGNS? PM ME.