Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update

Cobra847

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cobra, thank you as always for the detailed update and thorough discussion of your plans.

The F4U-1D fuselage in your banner looks mighty impressive and I can't wait for the true reveal.

Also, this part sounds incredible:

F-14 A & B Tomcat Update

Systems & FM

The Tomcat has seen considerable progress in the last few months; and even though we are behind our initial projected schedule (H2 2015) – we have very little regret as to how this flagship module is progressing.

The majority of the year has been spent recreating the entire framework and systems base of the aircraft.

Items such as Hydraulic, electrical, fuel and control systems are complex components of the aircraft and these items being complete, functional and relatively bug-free is a prerequisite before moving on to some of the more overt features and components.

We've also spent considerable time implementing various supporting functionality, such as for instance numerical solvers (e.g. 4th order Range-Kutta) for second and higher order dynamics which can be used for components like e.g. actuators.

The Flight Model has seen the most rapid progress over the last couple of months; and we've now begun assembling the physical model.

Primary focus is currently on Primary Handling of the aircraft: in essence, we are now working to perfect the overall body and wing aerodynamics, wing sweep dynamics & logic, and primary/secondary control surfaces and their influence.

Wing sweep logic, a core component of the F-14, is also complete and implements the four modes (Auto, Manual, Bomb, and Emergency) - making use of multiple underlying sweep schedules for both primary and secondary control channels.

The current implementation will of course allow us to calculate the effects of asymmetric wing sweep due to damage/malfunction.

In association with that, we have now also begun separating the visual animations into their respective hydraulic systems.

We are looking for a high level of granularity in failure simulation; and wherever there is a possibility of separate failure (e.g. separate hydraulic systems) – this will be simulated on our rendition of the Aircraft.

Electrical fuses, something frequently mentioned by the community, will be simulated to their fullest extent.

F-14_Hyd.jpg

The aerodynamic speed brakes are a fairly good example of our targeted fidelity.

Each of the three control surfaces are individually modeled, allowing us to take into account asymmetric effects from damaged/malfunctioning actuators and surfaces.

Just the speed brakes alone use 11 (that's a lot!) different lookup tables to determine aerodynamic coefficients in the current implementation.

This will give yield very realistic and dynamic feel.

Overall, we feel very confident in our implementation of the F-14 flight model at this stage. We will not stop short of anything but perfection.

Sincerely,

Leatherneck Simulations Team

The flight model is by far my favorite part of any module and the above news is absolutely music to my ears. The Tomcat (from what I've read :)), had some interesting/peculiar handling characteristics for a fighter and I'm thrilled to hear that it will be captured so thoroughly. Also, the level of systems detail that you are going for sounds unprecedented. Thank you for your dedication to this project!

IMHO, the MiG-21 truly captures that "analog" jet flying experience and for me, it remains the most organic and lifelike flying experience in DCS. I can't wait to see what you can do with the F-14 - especially given how much effort you are investing.

Happy New Year!

2016 looks to be a very promising year for Leatherneck Simulations, DCS, and us lucky users. :thumbup:

Best,

Nick

Edited by BlackLion213

• ED Team

Thanks for the update, looking forward to your new aircraft, it is going to be a good year for DCS simmers

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Bonus

Previous Rewards: MiG-21bis DVD + Bonus DVD + Shirt

New Rewards: MiG-21bis DVD + Printed physical manual

I am in this reward level and I'd much rather have the shirt than the manual because I have a printed manual already (it costs something like 8 euros to have it printed in lulu) and because I think the MiG-21 manual overall is not that great to be honest. It lacks the in-depth detail that ie. the A10C manual has and its just 183 pages so it even looks rather thin when you print it. A MiG-21bis shirt on the other hand I could wear every day ;)

As a cyborg, you will serve SHODAN well

http://www.kegetys.fi

Nice and comprehensive update. Thank you for that, LN team! :) Looking forward to the Tomcat - more than ever!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

That was not only a fantastic update but also one that should really set the standard for other 3rd parties in terms of raw content. You and your team are truly top notch and have really raised the bar of DCS overall with the MiG-21. I have no doubt you will raise that bar even further with your next releases (especially the Tomcat!).

Happy New Year!

This is a lot of (incredible awesome) information. Cant wait to fly in the Viggen or the Tomcat!

My system:

Intel Core i7 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16Gb Crucial 1600mhz DDR3, MSI GTX660 Gaming, Scythe Mugen 4, Samung 850 EVO 500GB, Fractal Design Define R4, WD Green 2TB, Windows 10

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Rudders

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

"When everything seem to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it..."

Henry Ford

Very nice update, although I didn't expect it to make it before the end of the year. I am curious though, because I did not see it mentioned anywhere, but are the AJS-37 & F4U-1D scheduled to be released before the F-14 still? If so are we looking at first half of 2016?

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Happy New Year and thanks for the great update. Looking even more forward to seeing what you have for us!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

It's also very important to remember that you may only catch a glimpse of the big picture with just the module names.

We have spent considerable time and resources into making sure that the products we create have an appropriate environment, opponents and other content.

Interesting.

Hinting at additional variants?

Awesome news!

Hopefully you will see this Cobra, I can probably get access to a Viggen in Västerås Flygmuseum if you guys need some HD pictures if there is any small thing you guys are missing.

Just wondering if there is an interest and if so I can contact them(got some good contacts with the guys taking care of them).

Just want to help. Especially now when I got free time over from school :)

Btw I believe there is both an AJ and a JA there.

• Like 1