LEAVU development phase, coding MPCD graphics

RvEYoda

:P

however i am already sending objects over maintained sockets rather than strings

It rocks. :D

Have not committed the build because im not finished with rewriting everything yet.

Ok. That's big-endian XDR over the socket with some extra markers (IIRC that's what Java uses for binary serialization). Downside is Serialization changes with major JVM releases (and Java 7 is due soonish) and clients and server must have same version.

Edit: also, since the SOAP messages are small they're probably still below the MTU for Ethernet. So unless you are streaming stuff it won't be any slower to use a simple @WebService SOAP service.

Edited by Moa
Added MTU note

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is DTED Mugatu?

Did you guys notice that the Russian Dlink in the game doesnt care about LOS ;)

The radars do but not the Dlink, so you can be hidden but you still see everyone.

There are ways to get elevation data with DCS lua engine. I cannot confirm or deny this

parts existance in FC2 but afaik it is in DCS BS.

We can make a loop to extract the altitude map entirely with quite good resolution, and perhaps then

define a few critical lines/areas where it is critical to perform these checks.

It would require some cool math though, if you do that, ill implement it for ya.

Essentially, if I provide you with 3D altitude table ( Lat,long,alt ), can you produce

an algorithm out of that plus not having to store ridiculous amounts of data in runtime?

plus it must be fast. It is not high prio for me atm, but if you can make it, ill implement it.

Maybe something like where the surface is significantly convex, we put data there,

and if target and source are on diff sides of such a boundrary, then the check is performed.

Then we must produce a search algorithm similar to a raytrace which I am familiar with.

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

hmm...soo the new LEAVU runs on its own, without the need of a server permission right? Sorry but I didnt followed the topic really. Because I thought always it is server based, and u can run it or not....! But if it is own based on the player itself, and the others are not useing it, I don't know if that is that good, if u know what I mean. Because u never know who is useing it or not....

And I don't want to get bitched all the time if I kill someone and he is sayeing "thx for yodas program MoGas otherwise not" (even when I 'am not useing it) like I got with LRM already, don't get me rong, but if it is server based where everybody knows it is runing or not, than it is fine. But if it is based on the player only, I guess this is not a good idea...

cheers

Mogas Leavu2 is like an advanced touch buddy complement.

You cant run touch buddy on server side and have it displayed on clients,

same way with leavu. It is a software for showing instruments.

• Like 1

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

Yoda would Leavu2 give a squad the ability to utilise Leavu2 as a mini networked datalink/AWACS on a MP server? IE if one member of a squad was to stay back from the fight at high altitude with radar on would Leavu share this data with other squad members over a network?.

Edited by Vault

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yoda would Leavu2 give a squad the ability to utilise Leavu2 as a mini networked datalink/AWACS on a MP server? IE if one member of a squad was to stay back from the fight at high altitude with radar on would Leavu share this data with other squad members over a network?.

Yes that is how it works, how I meant it to work.

One of you decides to set up a data-link host.

Then clients can connect to this hosts to share data.

You can keep it password protected if you want and on

a separate server computer.

Clients will be able to from the MFD to also filter network

input and output so that they don't get cluttered when

for example one group goes into a fight.

I think the filters will be necessary once the network size is above 4

or so. There are also declutter options for datalink, which for

example let dlink show only locks, or both locks and scans.

( This is the NDCLT button you see in the pictures in this thread )

Edited by =RvE=Yoda
  • Like 1

Yes that is how it works, how I meant it to work.

One of you decides to set up a data-link host.

Then clients can connect to this hosts to share data.

You can keep it password protected if you want and on

a separate server computer.

Clients will be able to from the MFD to also filter network

input and output so that they don't get cluttered when

for example one group goes into a fight.

I don't know if I'am the only one who sees it like that, but with the LEAVU the time for lonewolf pilots its over?!

For example we have a 15 people on the server and 5-10 104th members are joining and the others know we will use the LAVEU, there is a good chance that we have a empty server after shooting down some of them...pretty quick.

Again Yoda, I support all youre work so far(especially LRM), but I see a problem with the LEAVU with gameplay on the daily server, with lonewolf pilots on it, and this is 80%, per day.

Whats your point of the view with it Yoda, correct me if I'am rong thx?!

cheers

I see what you mean mogas, but also there is another side of the story.

Right now 80% of the squads out here dont formulate squad tactics and

squad games not only because the game does not encourage it, but also

because the tools like navigation and communication/dlink are not

in the game by default. They can just as well just jump in one by one.

( This can naturally also be done in leavu, you can come and go from the

squad dlink )

In a realistic atmosphere the lonewolf pilot will quickly get shot down.

But ultimately it is the game that decides this, and not LEAVU, even though

leavu can push the scales in one direction.

1v many in air combat has very low chance of success in the bvr missile

environment if the squad performs good.

While you may see some ( though i doubt it ) loss of lonewolf flying,

it is likely this will easily be compensated by people wanting to fly together

not just force on force but also coop missions will be 10 times more interesting.

Right now there is an over abundance of loner air quake deathmatch flying.

If we have to sacrifice a little bit of that to gain huge amounts of squad interest,

than it is worth it for me.

This change is not just a part of LEAVU but also have a look on FC2 features

list by Wags in the Fc2 announcement. Many things there will likely change

the environment to greatly encourage group flying. Coordination and tactics

will become more meaningful. Forget about F-15

" cartwheel maddogging " ( as someone called it ) tactics.

Encouraging group efforts has, for all games i've heard of before, greatly

boosted MP popularity. Just look at the mmo genre for example.

What is most important for me is always : Competitiveness and Consistency.

Both give the other. If you have a complex and consistent game, then people will

want to compete in it. If people are competing at high level it is because the

game results are fairly consistent. The random factor does not become the major

reason for the outcome of a battle. On a personal level i make LEAVU because i

think it is 10 times more fun to fly with such features, especially when it allows

me to build my own cockpit!

I'm thinking of working on some new modules for leavu like instrument panels etc.

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

If we have to sacrifice a little bit of that to gain huge amounts of squad interest, than it is worth it for me.

On a personal level i make LEAVU because i think it is 10 times more fun to fly with such features, especially when it allows

me to build my own cockpit!

While most of this work is amazing and really useful Yoda, the whole datalink business is a step too far IMO.

Your talking about integrating 21st century F-15 tech into an 80's/90's combat scenario.

This is wrong for online usage and clearly your trying to give your favourite bird an edge.

This can only lead to even more unrealistic scenario's such as MiG-29A's with datalink, come on.

What next F-15's with F-22 stealth paint. ;)

• Like 1

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I don't see the problem, MoGas. LEAVU is not necessary to make lonewolve's lives difficult. It is enough to have teamspeak. LEAVU just makes it more convenient.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The datalink (or indeed, any part of LEAVU) can be used by any LO aircraft regardless of origin.

If you don't like it, don't fly with people who use it ... and don't use it. No one's stopping you from doing all that ;)

While most of this work is amazing and really useful Yoda, the whole datalink business is a step too far IMO.

Your talking about integrating 21st century F-15 tech into an 80's/90's combat scenario.

This is wrong for online usage and clearly your trying to give your favourite bird an edge.

This can only lead to even more unrealistic scenario's such as MiG-29A's with datalink, come on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Frostie the datalink implementation of LEAVU is from the 80s.

Today's datalinks are WAY way more advanced than this

Datalink between aircrafts positions, yes, but datalink between aircrafts radar, I think your reading from the wrong scrpit.

And what proof do you have that makes you say so?

I have declassified aircraft manual and aircraft crew supporting my claim - from both sides.

There are such features you would not believe at first.

Did you know the ground stations cannot only send dlink info to a russian fighter,

they can also directly set up - control - his radar to lock the target !

You know these things now, in 21st century, because it was classified in 80s :).

This is why we simulate 80s and 90s combat with some late 90s weapons. Because

we dont know the 21st century tech, but we do know much useful information about

80s and some 90s.

Do you believe im making these things up ?

I'm drawing the graphical HSD shapes straight from the aircraft manual!

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

The code is open and people are welcome to contribute aircraft-specific behaviors, as well as tying it in with LOTATC and so forth when and if possible.

I have no problem with flying a version of it that provides wingman position updates only, while you get nothing until someone decides to build a flanker or mig specific version.

And you don't see a problem with that, LMAO, all this talk about 2.0 getting the unrealistic tosh out of lockon suddenly gets blown right out of the water.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you believe im making these things up ?

I'm drawing the graphical HSD shapes straight from the aircraft manual!

Im not going to dispute whether ground controllers can do what ever they've done they have buildings where they can layout computers the size of an Airbus. And as for a/c shapes thats all singular aircraft stuff. But as for a/c direct radar communication with another a/c the fact that the development of this system took years I should imagine it began in the 80's/90's but implementing it into an airforce is not like turning a switch on. Haven't you even taken into account that the talking of a/c radar to another a/c wouldn't have been in real time especially if it was even possible in the 80's.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

If you don't like it, don't fly with people who use it ... and don't use it. No one's stopping you from doing all that ;)
The problem is that if it cannot be controlled by the server, you will not know who does and does not use it.
  • Like 2

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.