StarForce AAA Technology on Warthog

StarForce

• 5 weeks later...

I've been a fan of Flaming Cliffs and would really love to get back into it with A-10C and Black Shark, but...

What if (and I do hope this will never be the case) Eagle Dynamics ceases to exist for any reason at some point? Will I still be able to play or reinstall the game?

Take this example: My first flight sim was TFX: EF2000 (later with the TACTCOM addition) by DID from 1995. DID was disbanded long ago but until this day I can reinstall and play my original copy of it, as long as I can find a compatible computer with no problem. And I do, because it brings back many memories.

With online activation, I could probably not do that: There would be no activation server for the game or copy protection system to contact! Will this be the case for A-10C's and Black Shark's copy protection systems? What could I do if I wanted to get out my original copies in 10 or 15 years for nostalgia?

Regards

I've been a fan of Flaming Cliffs and would really love to get back into it with A-10C and Black Shark, but.....

What if (and I do hope this will never be the case) Eagle Dynamics ceases to exist for any reason at some point? Will I still be able to play or reinstall the game? ...

Yes.

As confirmed previously by ED, the DRM will be removed in such an eventuality.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Will it be possible to play A10 without activating (i.e. not having internet at all)? Maybe if you buy a boxed version? I think the DCS Warthog is a great simulation but for personal reasons I decided to not support digital rights management that needs the internet in order to activate a game or (even worse) needs a constant connection to some server.

Thank you.

Bear @ 33rd Airbase Wing

iMac i7 4x3.4 GHz | 8GB | HD 6970M w/2 GB GDDR5 | 256 GB SSD | TM Warthog | TM Cougar MFD (mounted on 21" screen) | Sennheiser PC-133D | Razer Imperator | TrackIR 5 | Windows 7 Home Pro 64bit

You only need a connection during two instances:

1 - Activation.

2 - Multiplayer

If you do not have any internet connection at all on the computer which you intend to inactivate, and no ability to give it a temporary connection, you can activate by proxy: you can ask the activation system to generate a hardware code on your machine, write this down and supply this hardware code along with your serial number on the ProActive site. This will then generate an activation key that you can enter into your computer to activate the product.

After activation, you can then play Single Player to your heart's content even without an internet connection. Activation is a one-time event (as long as hardware does not change significantly) - not something that happens every time you start the product.

The boxed version will, as far as I know, use the same system - i.e there is no "disc-check". (Such "disc-checks", to be of any value, requires that the system have significant priviliges on the system, which I am sure you can understand is not the most popular setup.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

No.

Three methods of activation in order to run the SIM:

1. Automatic activation

2. Activation via E-mail. Using this activation, you will be provided a hardware

code that can be sent to the provided e-mail address for activation.

3. Activation via ProActive Web-site. A hardware code will be entered into the

ProActive Web-site for activation.

All three options require an Internet connection, or at the least your e-mail account.

Whilst I respect your convictions, I have to wonder how a process that's akin to sending an e-mail (I assume you do that every day) will effectively preclude you from entertaining the Warthog. Give it a go - it's not all that bad :)

Edit: Ninja'd......:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whilst I respect your convictions, I have to wonder how a process that's akin to sending an e-mail (I assume you do that every day) will effectively preclude you from entertaining the Warthog. Give it a go - it's not all that bad :)

Hello,

The problem I have with DRM is that the topic is becoming increasingly popular. It started with Compact Discs (and I did not buy any more CDs since several years but I am legally downloading MP3s) and then continued with games. I hope that publishers realize that they are effectively punishing CUSTOMERS while anyone not willing to pay for the game has the opportunity to download a cracked version.

This is why I got a bunch of so called Indie games like World of Goo, Humble Bundles, SpaceChem. You can download them for Mac, Windows and Linux without worrying about DRM.

I think that the DCS series targets grown up audience with enough money to buy the game and enough intelligence to know that if they do not buy simulations then the simulation genre is not going to recover. I think that making benefits would be better like receiving a code which one can redeem in order to receive a custom wing painting that is visible in multi-player etc.

Just my 2 cents ;)

PS: I am still waiting for a sequel to AH64D Longbow 2, which I played when I was young (with 2 gunner/pilot multiplayer!!!). The AH64D simulated in DCS would be so ... :thumbup:

Bear @ 33rd Airbase Wing

iMac i7 4x3.4 GHz | 8GB | HD 6970M w/2 GB GDDR5 | 256 GB SSD | TM Warthog | TM Cougar MFD (mounted on 21" screen) | Sennheiser PC-133D | Razer Imperator | TrackIR 5 | Windows 7 Home Pro 64bit

Is it possible to redeem a version of A10 bought in the shop of this website on steam?

Good question.

I'm not sure how STEAM works so I'm just guessing here, but probably not. You can use the serial number that you got from the shop to run the STEAM version. I am however assuming that prior to downloading from STEAM you would need the serial generated from STEAM via purchase. If not, you could just use the website serial to activate the STEAM version.

As said - depends on STEAM. Both ways the serial will be valid irrespective when it comes to activation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

Steam's DRM does not support 64bit games so even if P-51 were there (which it won't be unless Steam changes their mind) it would be using Starforce.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Could you please confirm that Starforce AAA (pronounced Triple A ?) technology is used on any language version of this game. Italian, Spanish, Russian and English ?

You can check yourself. Navigate to the following site:

http://proactive.star-force.com/2.0/activate.php

Enter your serial# and click 'Serial Number Parameters'. You will then get a screen as follows:

iEYCS.png

You can then confirm whether automatic activation allocation is active and the time period applicable (see the Add activation automatically - enabled and Time period - 30 day(s) entries). If AAA is not applicable then it will read 'disabled' in red letters.

Isn't it possible to integrate this technology with Flaming Cliffs 2 & BS2 (only a modification of activation server needed) ?

BS2 already utilises Starforce AAA. FC2 does not. I'd assume this is so due to obvious cost-implications to ED with no means of recovering said expense.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 years later...