FILM: 9 rota (9th Company)

Brit_Radar_Dude

I've just finished watching this film on a UK TV channel (Film 4). Excellent Russian war film set in Afghanistan, I guess you could regard it as Russia's version of Platoon or Big Red One. Has no-one mentioned it on this Forum before? I certainly don't remember it.

Loads of stuff in it that is also in Lockon:- T-72, BMP-2, BTR-60/70(?), Grad, BRDM, Mi-24, Mi-8, Su-25, An-12(?), An-26.

As soon as it finished, just had to fire up Lockon and fly something Russian. :)

http://www.9thcompany.com

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Hi Guys!

Just a disclamer. This movie, while a good movie, claims to depict true events.

However the reality is that true events turned out different. Out of 39 solders 6 died and 12 were wounded. In the movie casualties are reflected differently (I won't mention details not to spoil for you)

I found out about this movie from a Russian TV show about plagiarism in Russian music scene. One composer there accused the composer of 9 rota's theme of copying his work. Then they showed scenes from the movie.. and I had to get it :)

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

this is bullsh*t commertial movie. it doesn't share anything with real events, which took place there. is just a bad example of novadays Russian cinematography.

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic2354_5.gif[/sigpic]

I saw it 5 or 6 months ago, and it looks impressive...However, I won't debate if it depicts real happenings in Afghanistan in late '80s.

I remember a similar movie on Soviets in Afghanistan, can't remember name though, but it was about Russian musician who got mobilized.

I also remember a movie called Mirror Wars, featuring Flankers but haven't been able to buy it anywhere.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groove - sorry, shoulda thought to put here, I keep forgetting we have a chit-chat area.

Condor11, Dmut - Yeah, I know it is not a true historical representation of what actually happened on Hill 3234, but after watching the movie I did do some InterNet research to check the real facts as the film had made me curious to find out.

Most every other movie about real historical events is not very accurate either - don't get me started about U-571 !!

Nevertheless,

a) it was good to see a Russian language film on British TV, get bored with the same Hollywood rubbish all the time.

b) it was good to see great shots of actual Russian equipment (vehicles, aircraft) that I'm familiar with from Lockon.

c) after living through the Cold War, it was good for a change to see a film that didn't show Russians as the bad guys.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

One of my favorite movies and i think one of best movies about Afganistan war. Well, the Beast of war ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beast_of_War ) was good to.

Maybe some of You have seen this movie. It's is about Korean war and tho brothers. Great to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taegukgi_(film)

"Herr Rittmeiser landed, he clapped his hands and said: Donnerwetter! Eighty is a worthy number"

9th Company received very mixed reviews in Russia. Some felt that it was a breakthrough for Russian cinematography, while others felt it was a thoughtless mimicry of western war flicks. I'm confidently in the second group. While the production quality is many times better than your typical Russian film, it's really nothing more than an imitation of some of the more flashier moments in Hollywood classics. It's incredibly unoriginal. In short, it deserves very low marks on the artistic and accurate scales, but is probably a step forward for Russian film production. Of course, much of the production was handled by foreign studios, so...

Worth seeing anyway, just because it's a unique enough experience.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

this is bullsh*t commertial movie. it doesn't share anything with real events, which took place there. is just a bad example of novadays Russian cinematography.

Thats why they probably call it "movie" and not "CNN-headlines":doh:.

Why do movies have to always represent real life,when i watch a movie i shut off my brain and take it with not "a grain of salt" but "a bag of salt" and just enjoy it.

As one of you said......."for a Russian movie its a step ahead".........cinomatographicly speaking................

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]cure"Biggy"bigbelgian

There was a movie where at the end some guys are surrounded in an old windmill, or smthing, and then a Mi-24 comes to rescue. Anyone know what movie that is?

Also, one Russian movie I've been looking for a long time for, has nothing to do with military and war, but a great movie... It's about a captain of a river boat. The crew has terribly bad luck, and anything they try to do to make their lives better doesn't seem to work. At the end the ship is sinking, and the captain decides he'll go down with it, but the river isn't deep enough and the ship stops sinking just as water reaches his head lol :D

Geier, try to watch it and don't think, it's said, that it was based on actual events. Then you can even like it. It's a lie, but it is good as an action movie.

• Like 1

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

Oh, and I look at movies like Табор уходит в небо (The Queen of the Gypsies), and some of Nikita Mikhalkov's work, and don't think there was anything ever wrong with the USSR or Russian cinematography ;)

Geier, try to watch it and don't think, it's said, that it was based on actual events. Then you can even like it. It's a lie, but it is good as an action movie.

BTW, I like the soundtrack ;) It's very melodious, but the main theme is very close to one of the Kylie Minouge song:huh::D

Oh...."9 rota".

There are not good russian warfilms produced in 2000s (еxcepting Balabanov's "War").

I disagree - there ARE some. "Свои" for example.

If you want to see the real (very close to, at least) film about Afghan war, see the "Afghansky izlom" by Bortko

(in Russian, of course)

Not only in Russian - in English too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098990/

BTW, there are some really good scenes involving soviet-made vehicles, like Mi-24, and i personally liked realistic explosions too, however there are more impressive scenes besides that.

The final scene is excellent, the ~entire Mi-24 wing in the air. I guess we're lucky if helicopters fly similar way in BS (it involves at least mountainous air, that's why i'm in doubt about DCS ability to depict that).

• Like 1

Not only in Russian - in English too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098990/

BTW, there are some really good scenes involving soviet-made vehicles, like Mi-24, and i personally liked realistic explosions too, however there are more impressive scenes besides that.

The final scene is excellent, the ~entire Mi-24 wing in the air. I guess we're lucky if helicopters fly similar way in BS (it involves at least mountainous air, that's why i'm in doubt about DCS ability to depict that).

Thx, Maximus:)

I like this film very much except one character - major Bandura. I've read lots of memories and suppose it's a collective character , because in general all soviet officers fought without any thoughts about how this war unfair or smth else was.

nice subject thread

I hope I get to see this movie in the U.S. From the trailers it looks to be a good one. I don't necessarily have to by into it's historical claim though. That's not primarily why I'd watch it. A good war/action film is all I'm after. If it's loosely based on history, all the better. I knew that U571 was far from the truth before I watched it once. I never had to watch that one again. But I've seen "The Beast" several times. I guess the difference is that I found the latter to be better movie-making.

KosiMazaki, I did see that movie about the Korean brothers. Not bad, imo, and odd to see a Korean movie about that war. I liked "Porkchop Hill" too, but that movie was made at a different time. Would you believe that I just finally saw "Letters from Iwo Jima"? Another good movie, imho. I hope Clint Eastwood did not over-Americanize it, but it seemed a very good effort.

I hope more war movies can make there way here from around the world. Always good to get more exposure.;)

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

Hey Biggy! I hope there are more war films made where there are other perspectives. I'm sure there must be many out there already. I wonder what some of the best war films made around the world are?. Maybe some here will be kind enough to lennd their opinions?

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry: