DCS F-35A

Wags

Nice! I definitely like the A and B version better than the C, I don't care for the look of the larger wings on the C version.

You're welcome, it does look pretty menacing there though :thumbup: I agree mind, the sleeker look fits it well.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reality, low RCS is low RCS for all frequencies. There are plenty of S and L band radars out there ... they don't magically manage to see aircraft at 10x the range of an X-band radar.

Thanks for the clarification. I really don't know the differences between the different bands myself. All I was going off was that diagram which I kind of figured was inaccurate.

Edit: Question that's back on topic with the original intent of this thread. If the kickstarter doesn't make it will the people that pledged $50 or more still be part of OPEVAL?

Edited by kk0425

I believe the diagram comes from Kopp's site. Like Sobek pointed out, my statement was misleading.

More accurately, once you reach a certain wavelength (btw, you can look up radio bands on wikipedia :) which is twice the length of the object, it sets up a half-wave resonance which causes a strong radio reflection. Chaff uses this principle.

However, radars with such long wavelengths require huge antennae to get any reasonable accuracy, and these are the typical ground-stations with the huge fence-like antennae that you may have seen in photos.

Some claim that the L-band (up to about 30cm wavelength) is long enough to cause resonance along some of the F-35's edges. Unfortunately, a) the proof is in the pudding which we do not get to see, let alone eat, b) it isn't very effective for guiding weapons (ok, so you know he's there. You have a pistol and he has a sniper rifle, and you're out of range), and c) if stealth is a huge waste of money/thing of the past/defeated by old low-frequency radars/magical new passive anti-stealth radars, why are other countries investing in lower RCS and stealth solutions?

Thanks for the clarification. I really don't know the differences between the different bands myself. All I was going off was that diagram which I kind of figured was inaccurate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Question for the guys that are around these for real. Is that data cable from the picture above the only cable that is required for HMCS?

Edit : now that I look at it I'm guessing that is for the comms since it appears to go into the mask. I'd imagine the actual data cable to be a bit beefier

Edited by smnwrx

It's Correct.

Damn!

Well, the radar is basically a "flash light", but didn't know the radar would make such clear pictures with shadows, or should i say "shadows"?

Are those shadows due to the radar not seeing properly behind different stuff in the area it's making a SAR picture of?

Damn!

Well, the radar is basically a "flash light", but didn't know the radar would make such clear pictures with shadows, or should i say "shadows"?

Are those shadows due to the radar not seeing properly behind different stuff in the area it's making a SAR picture of?

Shadows in SAR imagery occur because objects in the scene block the RADAR energy from reaching other portions of the scene. The lack of energy illuminating these shadowed portions of the scene cause them to appear black. :thumbup:

I believe the diagram comes from Kopp's site. Like Sobek pointed out, my statement was misleading.

More accurately, once you reach a certain wavelength (btw, you can look up radio bands on wikipedia :) which is twice the length of the object, it sets up a half-wave resonance which causes a strong radio reflection. Chaff uses this principle.

However, radars with such long wavelengths require huge antennae to get any reasonable accuracy, and these are the typical ground-stations with the huge fence-like antennae that you may have seen in photos.

Some claim that the L-band (up to about 30cm wavelength) is long enough to cause resonance along some of the F-35's edges. Unfortunately, a) the proof is in the pudding which we do not get to see, let alone eat, b) it isn't very effective for guiding weapons (ok, so you know he's there. You have a pistol and he has a sniper rifle, and you're out of range), and c) if stealth is a huge waste of money/thing of the past/defeated by old low-frequency radars/magical new passive anti-stealth radars, why are other countries investing in lower RCS and stealth solutions?

Ah okay. Thanks again. But something that bothers me about those claims is that the engineers couldn't have forgotten about those radio bands when designing the F-35. I mean, the whole point of stealth is to hide from radars isn't it? :huh:

Damn!

Maybe this will help...

radar_figure3_zpsaf30b46d.jpg

Maybe this will help...

radar_figure3_zpsaf30b46d.jpg

But if you're the emmiter, then you have no way of seeing the shadow, because your view is blocked by the object causing the shadow.

If you can see the shadow that means, there is a clear view between you and the shadowed surface, so there no reason why EM waves emmited by you shouldn't reach that surface.

But if you're the emmiter, then you have no way of seeing the shadow, because your view is blocked by the object causing the shadow.

If you can see the shadow that means, there is a clear view between you and the shadowed surface, so there no reason why EM waves emmited by you shouldn't reach that surface.

I think the SAR image is a 3d esqe image. So it may generate then create a top down view. Just guessing though.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

No, the whole point of SAR is that you perform a coordinate transformation, which leaves the undefined spaces blank. You basically transform your viewpoint from your actual viewpoint to a "synthetic" viewpoint that is straight above the target. During the transformation, areas move into your view that no return intensity is mapped to. Those need to be left blank.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

SAR Detects Lighting differences too, so a Low Angle Light source... like I dunno, the SUN or the MOON, can make shadows appear on the SAR image.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

SAR Detects Lighting differences too, so a Low Angle Light source... like I dunno, the SUN or the MOON, can make shadows appear on the SAR image.

You sure about that...

Because no....

Are you thinking of LIDAR?

Edited by Mike Busutil

SAR Detects Lighting differences too

I think you are mixing some stuff up here. Radar sensors are not affected by the visual spectrum.

Come let's eat grandpa!

I just wanted to see how quick I'd be corrected.... Response time 2 Minutes.... Slippin Guys... Slippin..

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Not even half way and there's 3 days to go. Oh dear.

Hm. Not surprised.

Explanation:

Case 1.

Dev: Hey, look what we've got. It cost only X$

Some Dude: Wow! Nice, i'll take two - one for a friend.

This is how things go normally in civilized world

Case 2.

Dev: Hey, look what we've already achieved. Pay us us some money, so we can finish it, and you'll get it once it's done.

Some Dude: Meh, again... wait, it's actually cool. There's a chance. Ok, got some spare bucks, here you go.

There are some good examples: Kerbal Space Program (my favourite). Star Citizen (risky thing, but very, VERY good marketing - results: few million bucks)

Case 3.

Dev: Heeeey! We've got nothing, even a basic model working in DCSW environment, just some shots from 3d studio. You want h-f DCS: UFO, dude, no problemo! Give us money, then we gonna create it, eh?

Some Dude: lolz

• Like 1

It's dead. Unless something dramatic happens in the next 72 hours, it won't go. Too bad, I supported it and was looking forward to it.

According to KI that won't be the end of it, it just means they'll have a harder time funding it, not that they won't do it at all.

Come let's eat grandpa!

• ED Team

Yup, he said in this sea of a thread somewhere that he would go to other sources to make up the difference...

According to KI that won't be the end of it, it just means they'll have a harder time funding it, not that they won't do it at all.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png