How do I fly with half a wing?

domini99

So I recently got the A-10C, it's really nice.

I went flying with it and got hit on my left wing, causing it to break in half.

I thought "Oh nevermind, this is okay, i've seen all those people do it on youtube and the aircraft is designed for it" and switched to manual reversion.

Yet I couldn't do anything to counter the roll. Nothing.

I was just lost, spinning uncontrollably.

Can anybody explain to me what the secret is to returning this thing with half a wing?

it really depends on how much of your wing has been blown off. If your wing is greater than or equal to half missing then I don't think its recoverable. You also need to see if your hydraulics have been damaged.

Its kind of a rare event, so don't think you can get away with that stunt 100% of the time :)

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

it really depends on how much of your wing has been blown off. If your wing is greater than or equal to half missing then I don't think its recoverable. You also need to see if your hydraulics have been damaged.

Its kind of a rare event, so don't think you can get away with that stunt 100% of the time :)

I lost the same amount of wing as this guy:

At about 1.38 minutes.

I've seen quite some other people flying with the same amount of wing missing, even saw it myself in multiplayer a long time ago.

Yet I couldn't do anything :(

Edited by domini99

the aircraft is designed for it

The A-10 was designed to take damage, but there's no real guarantee that it will keep flying if it's not in a perfect state. Also in DCS, the damage model and 3D model don't always agree. You could be missing a wing totally and have lift, or the opposite, at least as far as I know.

As far as trying to fly with one wing, know that your max lift and L/D are reduced. If you're too heavy, you will just fall out of the sky. The lack of symmetry will also cause roll and yaw. You need to control the plane on all axes or you risk losing control.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

The A-10 was designed to take damage, but there's no real guarantee that it will keep flying if it's not in a perfect state. Also in DCS, the damage model and 3D model don't always agree. You could be missing a wing totally and have lift, or the opposite, at least as far as I know.

As far as trying to fly with one wing, know that your max lift and L/D are reduced. If you're too heavy, you will just fall out of the sky. The lack of symmetry will also cause roll and yaw. You need to control the plane on all axes or you risk losing control.

I've been deliberately ramming my plane into AI aircraft and there was not a single time I could recover.

It was like my control surfaces just wouldn't work, even though I had manual reversion enabled.

Don't enable manual reversion, it will be much easier to control without it.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Don't enable manual reversion, it will be much easier to control without it.

Can't seem to move my control surfaces at all after the collision.

Thats probably why I can't counter the roll.

I've even went as far as loading up the right wing with bombs and the left wing empty and then snap the left wing, but with even the slightest bit of wing missing the plane went spiraling out of control.

Payload doesn't matter.

Is there something wrong with my install? I swear I've seen people fly with half a wing myself. But I can't?

It's not something that is completely breaking the module, but as ive lost a part of a wing multiple times already while on a mission (I'm not that skillfull yet :S) It's usefull to remain in control after getting hit.

Edited by domini99

Don't have my PC at the moment so not 100% but this is what I do IIRC.

- Use full rudder/yaw (opposite direction to the lost wing) this will help correct the roll.

- Slow down, get your speed to around 190kts as quickly as possible.

You'll regain control at that speed, any faster/slower it will roll.

- Once level use the throttle to nose up/down (More power = Nose up)

Use the stick as little as possible and don't forget the speed

-Payload, I leave it on, I see It as the intact wing is producing lift trying to flip you, so more weight should reduce this. (correct me if I'm wrong)

-Landing, try to resist the urge to slow down keep it above 180kts.

Some quick tips off the top of my head, so feel free to correct me on any of this.

Speed is where most get it wrong as theirs little margin for error'.

Hope this helps and good luck.

If flaps are intact, you can fly with rudder opposite the fractured wing (at least in XP10 this is what happens).

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.